Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1744858 times)

Steve

Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #1210 on: December 02, 2010, 12:56:38 PM »
Pudding, Great photo's, I seem to recall seeing the lady in the fur coat about, tho' I never knew her personally.
  Phil is correct about where I was on about, it's the left hand side of Devon St looking at the map. If you check out the first & second courts from the corner of the mill you'll see that block of six houses that are no longer there in the second map.
  Do you remember the explosion in the railway sidings in '63 or '64. when a 2 bowsers full of Napthelene blew up?
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

pudding

« Reply #1211 on: December 02, 2010, 01:03:08 PM »
Steve
The lady in the fur coat was my mom.maybe malvern hill road as well.
Where there is a will there is a way

Steve

« Reply #1212 on: December 02, 2010, 01:09:24 PM »
I always recall the pretty ones O0
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1213 on: December 02, 2010, 01:17:00 PM »
Strange that, she also looks very familiar to me, and I never drank in the manor or frequented Malvern Hill rd. Where else did your mom drink, did she ever use the Railway Club?

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pudding

« Reply #1214 on: December 02, 2010, 01:20:20 PM »
Phil

not that I know of

Steve she also work's at veritys for a short time about 1964/5
Where there is a will there is a way

thewaywewere

« Reply #1215 on: December 02, 2010, 03:17:32 PM »
Hi Phil, Thanks for you'r reply,I don't think I have any photos of any of the three pubs I mentioned. I really enjoy you'r photos, GREAT WORK.

jayne

« Reply #1216 on: December 02, 2010, 03:26:05 PM »
hi al, does anyone remember les:s cafe in dollman st? the br lorries were always parked outside our house 2 go in there, les served the best bacon n tom sarnies ever x

vauxonion

« Reply #1217 on: December 02, 2010, 03:51:34 PM »
Jayne I remember only 2 cafe,s in Dollman St one on the corner of Erskine St the other up by  Duddeston Mill i think on the the stretch of street between Alma Cres. and Cardigan St I only used the one on Erskine St as it had Pin Ball machines . Dek

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1218 on: December 02, 2010, 04:36:20 PM »
Dek

It would have been Les's café on the corner of Alma Crescent, that is the one that was popular with the lorry drivers. The one on the corner of Erskine St wasn't so busy, mind you I did date a girl that worked there for a short while, I suppose that would have been around 63/64. She went off to work at the Naafi at some far flung army barracks somewhere and I never saw her again. I suppose she is married to some ex squadie now for the life of me I can't even remember her name now.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

jayne

« Reply #1219 on: December 02, 2010, 04:39:37 PM »
hi dek, yes thats the one, pinbaal machines were in the back, i loved living in that street ans was always in some trouble or another lol, brs lorries and coal lorries always used 2 park outside our house, by the time the coalman used 2 com back he was always a sack of coal lighter! naughty girl was i, but with my baby street urchin face i always managed 2 avoid trouble

peter brummy

« Reply #1220 on: December 02, 2010, 04:42:21 PM »
Hi Dek and Jane, Les's did have pinball machines too and great sandwiches ....

The BRS wagons used to park across the road from Les's ,on Dollman St and across from Fellow's Outdoor, just up the side at the end of Alma Crescent .... We used to root in the back of them as kids because they were only tarpaulin covers with straps ....    :o

Does anyone remember the Ellis's, Burn's, Toppin's, Wood's, Healy's, McColgan's, Mullin's, Nisbet's, Banbury's, Kirwan's, Cusacks, Harold's and Conlon's from Dollman St, Cathcart St and Erskine St ....

Dek, the cafe at the corner of Erskine/Dollman St was a popular cafe with the railway workers, it used to have a couple of pinball machines and a flipper machine. Jean was the owners name.

Dolly Goodman's shop was across the road, she had a horrible little dog, a Jack Russell, I think .... Anyway, the horrible little B...... bit me and I was only going to stroke it, Dolly said " Oh did he ..." when I told her .... I was only about six at the time ....

Pudding, they are great pics .... I used to go in there in the Smoke Room I think, the entrance was on the Mill and we used to play darts and have a few pints ....     

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy