Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1744937 times)

jayne

Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #1221 on: December 02, 2010, 04:44:52 PM »
phill, thanks for that, i didnt realise there was more than one cafe in dollman street, i only knew of les cafe, and if you went down the side of it the  street name i cant remember but there was a rag n bone yard, a kids me and my brother colin used old pram wheels and went round collecting clothes for jumble sales we used 2 have in the courtyars over the road from us. what we didnt sell we used 2 take to the rag n bone yard and get them weighed in lol

jayne

« Reply #1222 on: December 02, 2010, 04:51:41 PM »
peter, lol at the brs lorries my brothers used 2 do the same thing, we used 2 live at 140 and they used 2 park directly outside our house, my brother colin used 2 play with mrs fellows son, i remember 2 nesbit families, one were west indian and used 2 live on the same side as ue but further down past the outdoor they had  a son called colin and one called kenny, i cant remeber the names of the rest, the other nesbit family was white and the son was called donna! strange for a boy i used 2 think,

peter brummy

« Reply #1223 on: December 02, 2010, 04:55:18 PM »
Jayne, that was the scrap yard or tat yard as we used to call it ...? Oposite the Cutlery Factory across the road in Alma Crescent .... Willie Burns lived up the entry at the side of it as did Teresa Carroll ....

Les's used to be a small bakery back in the day, if you went up the side you could still see the old ovens ....

jayne

« Reply #1224 on: December 02, 2010, 05:07:48 PM »
hi peter, thanks for that, we left dollman street in 72, if i remember correctly we moved there from cattle road by the blues grond in 63, i never new the cafe as anything other than a cafe.

peter brummy

« Reply #1225 on: December 02, 2010, 05:28:09 PM »
Hi Jane, I knew Kenny Nesbet, he arrived in the street later. I played football with him in St Vincent's.

Dona, was a mate and we pal 'ed around together for years. He was as hard as nails and anyone who met him never forgot him. He's as nice a guy as you'll ever meet. I still see him when I'm over, he drinks in Shanahan's, the old Hen n' Chicken's, Rocky Lane.

Dona, is short for Donald. He is from Hamilton in Scotland ....

He has 3 big brothers, Tucker, Wick and Alan, who were the boys around there at the time, along with ( Terence ) Terry Harold .... and the Toppin's. Terry, was from over by the Tom Thumb, near to the end of Hindlow Close ....

Unfortunately, Terry was murdered, a guy name Gino sneakily used a pick axe handle across the back of his head .... Nasty ...! He left a son, just born, named Carl, he's a ringer for him ....

They pulled it all down around 73-74 and most of us had left by 72 .... Happy Days ...!

jayne

« Reply #1226 on: December 02, 2010, 05:41:06 PM »
hi pete, i could never forget dona nesbit, he may not remember me to lol, when i was bout 5 he and his gang were picking on my big brother or so i thought, i head barged him in the short and curlys, i thought i was gonna get a belt round the head till he realised i was tiny and a lil girl lol

vauxonion

« Reply #1227 on: December 03, 2010, 09:24:41 AM »
Morning all you Duddies out there it,s nice to have a chat with people from the same area that remember the old end although I class myself as a Vauxonian mind you ,you have to be careful as one mistake and the are down on you like a ton of bricks he he
 Peter Brummey you mentioned the Tom Thumb and Hindlow Close being quite close is that a little hic-cup do you mean the Ashted Hamlet as Hindlow close was at the top of Erskine St and the Ton thumb was down by Gt Lister St  lol Dek

peter brummy

« Reply #1228 on: December 03, 2010, 03:46:46 PM »
Yea Dek, just a little hiccup .... I meant the end of Howford Grove. I don't know what I was thinking of .... I wont say old age because I've only just turned 53.

The very end of the cul de sac, there was a block of maisonettes, he lived in there with Danny Kelly. The park beside it and the Tom Thumb was just over the green on Duddeston Manor Rd. My sister in law Lesley Crawford lived right next door. Gary Crawford is her brother, Long John was his nickname in the sixties ....

Great Lister St was over further .... LOL ...! Did you have a little hiccup, Dek ... LOL ...!

I think the Tom Thumb was on a part of Lupin St / Willis St but you would be better able to tell me once you think about it, Dek ...?

Duddeston Manor Rd was a new road and went over those streets ...? 

pudding

« Reply #1229 on: December 03, 2010, 05:43:27 PM »
Hi all

any one got a photo of the opposite corner to this photo I am posting of the Prince of wales pub on the corner of long acre and thimble mill lane as I am hoping to see a pic of the old Dispensary, if you look very closely at the window that is partly open of L H newtons to the right of the pic
there appears to be a reflection of the roof of the building?
Where there is a will there is a way

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1230 on: December 03, 2010, 05:56:44 PM »
Hi pudding

The old dispensary has been discussed before though it might not have been on this thread. No one was able to come up with a photo at that time, though one member revealed that she had stopped there for a while with her mother when it was a womans hostel.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pudding

« Reply #1231 on: December 03, 2010, 06:09:05 PM »
Hi Phil

I know about two member that had a personal experience with the Dispensary on a separate thread. I have a pic of a Dispensary in ladywood and I was wondering if it was the same type of building?
Where there is a will there is a way

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy