Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1744942 times)

gibson

Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #1232 on: December 03, 2010, 11:28:32 PM »
Pudding, thats a great picture of "The Prince of Wales" lt was on this thread that the old dispensary was discussed, I told how before the NHS was formed in 1947, The people of Nechells could see a doctor, and get medication free, If you went to your own doctor, you had to pay. It would be great to see a photograph of the old dispensary, hopefully someone on the forum will find one.

pudding

« Reply #1233 on: December 03, 2010, 11:56:35 PM »
Hi Gibson
 I know that you worked across the road from the Dispensary and you can visualise the building in your minds eye, as for myself I can only remember open ground did it look any thing like this one in ladywood.
Where there is a will there is a way

gibson

« Reply #1234 on: December 04, 2010, 12:01:57 PM »
pudding, in answer to your question, did the Nechells dispensary look like the one in Ladywood, I would say no, as the Nechells dispensary occupied a corner position, but perhaps Steve might not agree with me, as he remembers when the Dispensary closed, and became a womans hostel.

blane

« Reply #1235 on: December 04, 2010, 12:48:24 PM »
Hello Gibson  -  I was born about 200yds. from the Dispensary,in Longacre,and used to wait for my father to come out of The Prince after his sunday lunch tipple,sitting on the low wall surrounding the building.If my memory serves me right it was a single story building,built with blue bricks,and had large arched windows,and laid back slightly from the road,all this is circa 1948.

pudding

« Reply #1236 on: December 04, 2010, 01:20:53 PM »
Hi blane

Thank you for your reply and description of the old dispensary, as my mother said to me it was a dirty black old building that explains the blue bricks covered in grime over the years at lease now we know it was a single story building. I wonder if any one has the skill to draw it up and post it on this thread for us young ones
Where there is a will there is a way

WHITTINGTON

« Reply #1237 on: December 04, 2010, 02:38:14 PM »
Hi Vauxonoin and all,

Let me clear up all your questions in relation to the terraces in Erskine St; Walking down from Vauxhall Rd just before the railway bridge on the right hand side was Adelaide Terrace. Adelaide Terrace originally had two sides, one of which was demolished well after WW2. Some of the family names that lived there 1920-60s were, Humpage, Judge, Clarke,McDermott and Woodcock. After this demolition the playground of St Vincent's school was extended. Carry on under the bridge and there were five houses on the the left; family names were; Vickers, Lynch, Pugh, Whittington and Haynes; then came and entry and a shop owned by a family named, Toon. Facing those houses was a shop owned by the 'Ward' family(photography). Next on the right was 'Railway Terrace' and that had two sides. After that was the 'Midland Pub' and the the gates of the railway yard. I hope this helps.
Thanks Steve i know of that Railway Terrace i am thinking of about 5 houses that were built along the Viaduct wall half way down Erskine St. Dek

vauxonion

« Reply #1238 on: December 04, 2010, 03:38:24 PM »
Whittington thank you for your input I lived at the top of Erskine St and I was so sure we had a Railway Terrace but also Adelaide Terrace rung a Bell, Goodmans had a shop on the corner of the Terrace I am sure.Funny how the mind plays tricks you think you know but are not quite 100% sure. would you have been a local lad?? Dek

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1239 on: December 04, 2010, 04:16:22 PM »
Hi Whittington

It's a long time since we heard from you, a very good description of Erskine St going back a long time before I remember in the 50's. I hope you are going to stay around a bit longer this time and give us more of the benefit of your local knowledge.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

WHITTINGTON

« Reply #1240 on: December 04, 2010, 05:09:21 PM »
Re: Erskine St;

The Adelaide pub's cellars were used as bomb shelters during WW2, my mother sheltered in there many times.

Half-way down the the hill lived the 'Wilson' family, Mrs Wilson had five sons and a daughter. Forget the damn American movie: "Saving Private Ryan"; Mrs Wilson lost 4 sons who served in the Royal Navy in WW2! Mrs Wilson left Esrkine St to live on the "Herrick Rd Estate" in Washwood Heath. All of us, as kids, were warned to respect, honour and treasure her......and that we did!!!!

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1241 on: December 05, 2010, 11:35:19 AM »
Hi Whittington

If you have got to go then why not go somewhere you would be happy, I cannot think of a more apt place to end my days than a pub cellar.

It's a great pity that some of todays kids are not taught such respect. The world might be a better place to live.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

WHITTINGTON

« Reply #1242 on: December 05, 2010, 11:59:34 AM »
Hi Phil,

Indeed! By the way, what a great site.....Keep it up.

I have just come back from my mother's(not far off 80yrs now), from who I have received a lecture about Erskine St!!!!!!!! I will correct what I posted yesterday.....Boy, did she tell me off; Bob Dylan was wrong : "Times don't change" I will post my mom's memories for you and Vauxonion.

Hi Whittington

If you have got to go then why not go somewhere you would be happy, I cannot think of a more apt place to end my days than a pub cellar.

It's a great pity that some of todays kids are not taught such respect. The world might be a better place to live.

Phil

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy