Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1745131 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #1243 on: December 05, 2010, 12:13:56 PM »
Whittington (is there nothing shorter we can call you?)

Yes to parents, we are always their children who have to be put right or put back into place. It doesn't occur to them how embarrassing that can be sometimes.

Yes, please do tell us about your mothers memories as I for one would love to hear them as she sounds about the age my own mother would be.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

vauxonion

« Reply #1244 on: December 05, 2010, 12:38:48 PM »
Hi Whittington I too would love to hear of  your mothers life in Erskine St I lived at no3 the Williams we moved in 1948 i was 5 at the time and then I was sent to my aunts for the next 6 years and returned in 1954 the new part of St Vincents playground was already built at that time so i dont remember Adelaide Terrace being complete.Below Railway Terrace there was another half Terrace did this have the same name or a different one?

At no 1 next to the pub was the Robinsons when they moved out the Sharkeys took their place then us then the Harris,s at no5 they were Coal merchants nextdoor was their yard and then a strange house that stood back and had a front garden I think this was no 9.The Wilsons lived at no 11 i new the son he was older than me and i also knew to respect Mrs Wilson but did not know she had lost her children in the war. lower down at 17 were the Hubbards and next but one was a little old lady who had a little shop in her front room sadly i forget her name.

I noticed the name Whittington in your first post is this your family lol Dek

WHITTINGTON

« Reply #1245 on: December 06, 2010, 01:03:23 PM »
Phil, call me Tony.
Whittington (is there nothing shorter we can call you?)

Yes to parents, we are always their children who have to be put right or put back into place. It doesn't occur to them how embarrassing that can be sometimes.

Yes, please do tell us about your mothers memories as I for one would love to hear them as she sounds about the age my own mother would be.

Phil

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1246 on: December 06, 2010, 01:09:48 PM »
Hi Tony

See thats much better.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

WHITTINGTON

« Reply #1247 on: December 06, 2010, 01:35:00 PM »
Hi Vauxonion,

There were indeed two tearraces before the bridge in Erskine St, There was a part terrace, Mom thinks this was "Railway Terrace", but is not sure. Mom does remember that one family who moved out of that terrace was "Southwell" and they moved to the corner house Erskine St./Spooner St. The Mrs Wilson who lost four sons in WW2 lived next door in Spooner St.(Not Erskine as I suggested); Although, I think it is likely that the Wilson family you mentioned would have been related.

Addelaide Terrace did have two sides, and the family names I gave earlier are correct. However, you can add Latham and Braithwaite. As for the guardsman, mom's quote: "They were all ex-servicemen then."

Under the bridge; on the right Wards(Printers and photography, Railway Cottages-two sides(Not Terrace as I said), "Goodman's" shop, Midland Pub, two houses and finally the gates.

On the left, all names correct in relation to the houses prior to Dollman St. "Toons" was the first shop and the shop on the other side of Dollman St. was "Brays"(this later became the cafe). The corner of Inkerman St, was RTP(Rounds, Taylor &-sorry forgot what mom said), I do know that they later became R.T.P. Crisps and moved to Bennets Rd, Washwood Heath. The other side was the old Railway club.

Vauxonion, my mother's family name was "Whittington" and they lived in Esrkine St. !933-60. However mom's mother, my grandmother, was born in Addelaide Terrace in 1908!

I will ask the questions you have asked, any more you may have and reply.

I hope this helps. Best wishes, Tony
Hi Whittington I too would love to hear of  your mothers life in Erskine St I lived at no3 the Williams we moved in 1948 i was 5 at the time and then I was sent to my aunts for the next 6 years and returned in 1954 the new part of St Vincents playground was already built at that time so i dont remember Adelaide Terrace being complete.Below Railway Terrace there was another half Terrace did this have the same name or a different one?

At no 1 next to the pub was the Robinsons when they moved out the Sharkeys took their place then us then the Harris,s at no5 they were Coal merchants nextdoor was their yard and then a strange house that stood back and had a front garden I think this was no 9.The Wilsons lived at no 11 i new the son he was older than me and i also knew to respect Mrs Wilson but did not know she had lost her children in the war. lower down at 17 were the Hubbards and next but one was a little old lady who had a little shop in her front room sadly i forget her name.

I noticed the name Whittington in your first post is this your family lol Dek

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1248 on: December 06, 2010, 02:23:57 PM »
Here are a couple of extracts from the Kelly's Trade Directory for 1937 & 1950. They don't show a lot of change during those years.

I remember Holdworths next to the Midland Tavern, I think I worked there for the whole of two weeks. Until I got my first weeks wages and decided I was worth more than they wanted to pay me. My sister worked there for years in the office.

Phil

1937 Kelly’s Directory

Erskine street, Vauxhall(7),
159 Vauxhall rd. MAP I 4.
SOUTH-WEST SIDE.
here is Adelaide ter
39 Atkins Mrs. Mary Eliz.
shopkpr
here is Oak cottages
41 Goodman Mrs.Amy.shopkr
here is Midland place
55 Midland tavern, Wltr.
Edgington
NORTH-EAST SIDE.
6 Bourne & Liddell, wood
turners
10 Rushbury Mrs. Pamela,
shopkpr
here is Spooer st
Walker & Loach, tin plate
workers
here are Scott, Dollman &
Inkerman streets
Harris Arthur & O'Brien
Ltd. coal mers. (Lawley
Street wharf)

1950 Kelly’s Directory.
ERSKINE STREET, Vauxhall
(7), 159 Vauxhall road.
MAP I 4.
... here is Adelaide ter ...
here are Oak cotts
27 Riley A. H. painter
41 Goodman Horace, shopkeeper
Holdsworths of Birmingham
Ltd. enamellers
55 Midland Tavern, F. D.
King
NORTH-EAST SIDE.
here is Spooner st
6 Ingram Bros. & Saunders,
woodturners
18 Birmingham & Midlands
Demolition Co. demolition
contrctrs
Walker & Loach, tinplate
workers
...here are Scott, Dollman &
Inkerman streets...
Harris (Coals) Ltd. coal
mers. (Lawley Street
wharf)

Phi
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

WHITTINGTON

« Reply #1249 on: December 06, 2010, 03:18:52 PM »
Correction again - I will write down from now; Not Railway cottages but Oak cottages. Families of Oak cottages were; Frampton, Shandley, Danks, Southey and Taylor.

Shopkeepers, Goodman; Horace & Amy; Children; Horace, Frankie and Rita.

Last two houses after "Midland Pub" were Pitt and Bullock families.

Tony

Here are a couple of extracts from the Kelly's Trade Directory for 1937 & 1950. They don't show a lot of change during those years.

I remember Holdworths next to the Midland Tavern, I think I worked there for the whole of two weeks. Until I got my first weeks wages and decided I was worth more than they wanted to pay me. My sister worked there for years in the office.

Phil

1937 Kelly’s Directory

Erskine street, Vauxhall(7),
159 Vauxhall rd. MAP I 4.
SOUTH-WEST SIDE.
here is Adelaide ter
39 Atkins Mrs. Mary Eliz.
shopkpr
here is Oak cottages
41 Goodman Mrs.Amy.shopkr
here is Midland place
55 Midland tavern, Wltr.
Edgington
NORTH-EAST SIDE.
6 Bourne & Liddell, wood
turners
10 Rushbury Mrs. Pamela,
shopkpr
here is Spooer st
Walker & Loach, tin plate
workers
here are Scott, Dollman &
Inkerman streets
Harris Arthur & O'Brien
Ltd. coal mers. (Lawley
Street wharf)

1950 Kelly’s Directory.
ERSKINE STREET, Vauxhall
(7), 159 Vauxhall road.
MAP I 4.
... here is Adelaide ter ...
here are Oak cotts
27 Riley A. H. painter
41 Goodman Horace, shopkeeper
Holdsworths of Birmingham
Ltd. enamellers
55 Midland Tavern, F. D.
King
NORTH-EAST SIDE.
here is Spooner st
6 Ingram Bros. & Saunders,
woodturners
18 Birmingham & Midlands
Demolition Co. demolition
contrctrs
Walker & Loach, tinplate
workers
...here are Scott, Dollman &
Inkerman streets...
Harris (Coals) Ltd. coal
mers. (Lawley Street
wharf)

Phi

vauxonion

« Reply #1250 on: December 09, 2010, 09:57:37 AM »
Hello Tony sorry i,m late posting i,ve been a bit busy at work i have good news i have found some photos of the Goodmans on another forum i think you or your mom will recognise some of the people you are right it was Oak Cottages all we need to know now is the name of the half terrace behind them towards the Midland Tavern. I will post the photos later as i need to go out. Dek

vauxonion

« Reply #1251 on: December 09, 2010, 03:41:04 PM »
Tony i,m sure you will know some of these people. Dek

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1252 on: December 09, 2010, 07:00:35 PM »
Hey Dek

I have seen them before, but they still bring back a few memories.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1253 on: December 10, 2010, 06:28:05 PM »
Here's one you might not have seen before, an aerial view of a changing Nechells over St Matthews Church. Its strange to think this photo was taken less than 50 years ago and everything you can except the church and gasworks was new. Now everything but the church has been replaced.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy