Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1744964 times)

50sChild

Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #1287 on: December 22, 2010, 11:33:01 PM »
Hi  O0
I lived in Inkerman St for about a year around 1964/5 and I went to Vauxhall gardens school Looking at these photos brings it home just how much times have changed! I showed my grandson and he thinks I was young in the dark ages.  :o

Steve

« Reply #1288 on: December 23, 2010, 11:12:47 AM »
I posted recently about the maisonettes in Bordesley that are locally known as the "Barracks".
  While looking for info on Gasworks I came across this bit of local history on www.vauxhallsociety.org.uk/birmingham.html
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

vauxonion

« Reply #1289 on: December 23, 2010, 11:37:58 AM »
Hello Steve I know the Barrack houses they sit between Vauxhall rd ,Windsor St ,Gt brook St and of course Barrack St there are a number of Courts from top to bottom with entrances on Barrack St and Windsor St the top court on Gt Brook St had one entrance in the middle. When we were kids they were pretty new I think built in the 30s we thought the people that lived in the were posh compared to us,you could use them as a short cut to pass from st to st but never dwelled to long as you were soon told to clear off down your own end. I have some photos of the opening I will find the and post later.  Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and your family.Derrick

vauxonion

« Reply #1290 on: December 27, 2010, 12:12:06 PM »
The Ashcroft Estate (the Barrack Houses) photo 1 shows the site part demolished with Windsor St School on the left and St James Church on the right which was so badly damaged by a bomb that it had to be pulled down. Dek

vauxonion

« Reply #1291 on: December 27, 2010, 12:22:36 PM »
The Ashcroft Estate old and new I must say the old ones don,t appear to be so bad compared to others that were in the area. Dek

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1292 on: December 28, 2010, 12:38:17 PM »
Dek

I don't know about in later years, but I know that in the 50's the residents must have thought they were a little bit above the rest of the local residents. I know when we used to play in the grounds of the churchyard of the bombed out St James if we crossed over the road and even tried to cut through one of the central courtyards there would be half a dozen old biddies out with their brooms shooing us off "down our own end".

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

blane

« Reply #1293 on: December 28, 2010, 12:52:05 PM »
Hi Vauxonian - I remember the Crypt in the church yard,as a schoolboy in the 50's it was sign of your bravery to go down there.One schoolboy,named Paddy Dodds,bought up part of a skeleton for the Science Master at Loxton St. to use.I went down there a couple of times after practising on the bomb shelter next to the nursery corner of Heneage/Bloomsbury St..Are you Kirby or Dolphin ?.

vauxonion

« Reply #1294 on: December 28, 2010, 01:08:57 PM »
Yes Blaine if I was going into town or to Woodcock St I used to go up St James St cut through Overton Place and out into Windsor St it was like running the gauntlet never stopped us though on reflection the cheeky gestures and remarks probably didn,t help our cause much. Dek

vauxonion

« Reply #1295 on: December 28, 2010, 01:16:42 PM »
Blaine I also went down the Crypt as you say it was a sign of your bravery I was a St Vincents boy and I didn,t realise till I had left school how poor my education was but I could say all my prayers parrot fashion for what good that was in the work place I still don,t know. Dek

vauxonion

« Reply #1296 on: December 28, 2010, 01:22:16 PM »
Hey Blaine fancy you remembering the air-raid shelter on the corner of Boomsbury and Heanage  I have mention this on other forums and never got a response at least I now know it,s not all in my imaginatioon. Dek

blane

« Reply #1297 on: December 28, 2010, 05:22:38 PM »
Hello Vauxonian  -  Rember the grass fights on the site when rival gangs met,tore up the grass clods and threw them at each other.Always went home best of mates,but black as your hat.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy