Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1745249 times)

Steve

Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #1309 on: December 30, 2010, 03:26:27 PM »
Vaux, there was a club up Ashted Row where they frequented,  Mom said they was p'd as bobowlers.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1310 on: December 30, 2010, 03:48:24 PM »
Dek

The houses up that side of the road were all Georgian fronted three storey houses right up past Willis St to Henry St, it was only past there that they reverted to normal type houses though they were still bigger than most of the others around that area.

Steve

It must have been the Ashted Social Club that they used, close to the Ashted Tavern which was just down the road from the Dog & Partridge on the same side. By the time I moved into the area I think both had gone and there was only a site fronted by advertising hoardings by where I caught the 55 or 56 bus in to town, when I could afford it.

Blane

These must be the block of houses that you lived in, as they are on the opposite side of the road to the Ashted Cinema and up a bit.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

blane

« Reply #1311 on: December 30, 2010, 08:45:39 PM »
Hello Phil  -  Re post 1310,I lived in the middle of that block of houses,up 3 steps from the road and up 3 steps to the entry.The part of Francis St. were I lived was down by Lupin St. end,next door but one to Edwards Chapel of Rest and Works.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1312 on: December 30, 2010, 08:53:26 PM »
Hi Blane

Yes I'm sure thats what you told me before, you'll have to excuse this old failing memory of mine. The wife has to tell me everything half a dozen times before anything sinks in, mind you though thats probably because I ignore her the first five times.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

blane

« Reply #1313 on: January 02, 2011, 05:55:37 PM »
Hello Phil.  -  I've found the best way to keep them on their toes is to say ''who are you '' every time they come in the room,you don't half get some fuss after a bit.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1314 on: January 02, 2011, 06:13:28 PM »
Blane

My wife isn't that daft, she would probably reply "I'm the rent collector and you haven't paid this month, so I've come to collect"

Phil

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mick m

« Reply #1315 on: January 04, 2011, 07:40:33 PM »
vauxonion,Brought back memories when you mentioned the snooker hall in Gr.Francis Street.Oppisite the Junction pub you are right it was up an alley between the post office and the sweet shop.spent many an hour in there,only one good table out of the five.
                   Blane,the wife lived in Ashted Row just down from the Asted picture house and one of my mates Peter Wallace. they were certainly not posh houses. On the oppisite side was all docters and dentists houses,our family doctor Dr. Toppin had her surgery on the corner of Willis St. and Ashted Row. It was criminal when demolished them.I would like to think they would have put a preservation order on them in todays age?

blane

« Reply #1316 on: January 04, 2011, 08:01:38 PM »
Hi Mick  -  The houses looked O.K. but had been badly maintained,I slept in the attic,a massive room, but the roof was shot and in the winter the walls used to twinkle with the ice on them.The council workmen came,took one look at the roof and refused to go on it.It was still a lot better than the one we left in Francis St..That had electricity in only 2 rooms.They pulled the house down next door and left great big cracks in what was the dividing wall.I used to lie in bed and talk to my mates when they were passing through them.

bigalfats

« Reply #1317 on: January 04, 2011, 08:46:20 PM »
Hi Vauxonions comments re the Snooker Hall opposite the Junction Pub, brought back memories for me.The alley that is mentioned leading to the Snooker Hall on the left as you went in there was a old Acid accumulator shop where as kids we used to have to walk twice a week to change ours so that we could listen to the Wireless. Around 1957/58 (a bit hazy about this)I think it became a cafe.Us Locco street elders spent many a happy hour in the Snooker Hall very dark and dingy always smelled of damp,as I recall an oldish small couple ran it both wore glasses and always had a fag going.Dr Toppin was our family doctor too.My Dad was the commisionaire at the Ashted Picture House for a while and he always let us in via the fire exit round the side.We lived in Lupin Street at the time 5 of us in a one up one down fromt house just down from St Mathews School.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1318 on: January 04, 2011, 09:26:41 PM »
Though I used the snooker hall that is being discussed (was it the Duddeston Billiard Hall?) I always much preferred the Railway Club in Inkerman St. It was more lively, cleaner and you could get a decent drink and they weren't fussy about closing time.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

karl583

« Reply #1319 on: January 05, 2011, 06:33:24 PM »
Does anyone remember a pub call "the Empty". I think it was just off Nechells Park Road (may be Trevor Street) in the 60's.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy