Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1745102 times)

blane

Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #1331 on: January 09, 2011, 12:31:44 AM »
Hi Steve  -  My dad played darts for the ''Prince''and George Skinner was his mate,I believe george lived in Thimblemill Lane,just up from St. Joseph's.The old fellow used to tell me he was famous in the Nechells and Bloomsbury League for hitting a 180,one game of 301,double in,double out and from nine feet.Also he had the first set of Darrow Darts with proper feathers for flights,all this about 1947/8.I believe the league presentations were held in one of the local Workingmens Club.When I started to play darts he proudly gave me his darts,my inheritance,the tight g#t,it was all tungsten then.Ahh memories.

vauxonion

« Reply #1332 on: January 09, 2011, 11:58:26 AM »
Would any one remember a couple of my mates back in the early 60s they came from the Thimble Mill Lane-- Walter St area (can,t remember exactly) Ray Naylor and Johny Mac----Dek

pudding

« Reply #1333 on: January 09, 2011, 07:52:15 PM »
Hi Steve
the photo of your uncles darts team presentation is it at the Florida club at Aston, that was between the Holt pub and the villa ground?
Where there is a will there is a way

Steve

« Reply #1334 on: January 10, 2011, 02:04:26 PM »
Pudding, Haven't a clue I'm afraid, I only had a vague idea I'd been there regarding the decor which was a bit outlandish, typical for the '60's. Could be I've confused it with somewhere else. I'd hoped someone might have a definite answer, but thanks anyway.
      The 60's has a lot to answer for with pubs and cafes etc being turned into formica palaces parodying anything seen on US TV shows.
 Our landlord at the 'Nations' ripped out the formica covered bar when he took it over and installed a thick wooden one, of approriate design. The pub is around 200 years old so the '60's bar was a definite criminal anachronism.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

WHITTINGTON

« Reply #1335 on: January 10, 2011, 02:10:40 PM »
I took a drive around the "Old Area" yesterday morning for the first time in years, the "Rocket" is a mosque, the "Railway Club" is a mosque and the old "Midland Pub" is derelict!....such a shame! At least we all have the memories.

Tony.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1336 on: January 10, 2011, 04:12:59 PM »
Hi Tony

I knew about The Rocket and the Railway Club, but the last time I was down that way The Midland was still open (not a pub I liked) and the Ashted Hamlet had been demolished and they were building some sort of a community centre on the site.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pudding

« Reply #1337 on: January 10, 2011, 07:32:10 PM »
Pudding, Haven't a clue I'm afraid, I only had a vague idea I'd been there regarding the decor which was a bit outlandish, typical for the '60's. Could be I've confused it with somewhere else. I'd hoped someone might have a definite answer, but thanks anyway.
      The 60's has a lot to answer for with pubs and cafes etc being turned into formica palaces parodying anything seen on US TV shows.
 Our landlord at the 'Nations' ripped out the formica covered bar when he took it over and installed a thick wooden one, of approriate design. The pub is around 200 years old so the '60's bar was a definite criminal anachronism.
Steve I had taken this pic myself and developed and printed it is of the works football team presentation at the Florida in 1970 and the decor looks the same to me
Where there is a will there is a way

Steve

« Reply #1338 on: January 10, 2011, 09:52:56 PM »
Thanks Pudding,
                         I agree that has to be a match. Now we know where you mis-spent part of your youth ;D

I'm pleased to have added a little more info to my family tree, many thanks to you. I've learned quite a lot about my family and where they lived and worked thanks to members of this forum, and I've seen the same happen to many others.
 Thanks again all concerned. O0

WHITTINGTON

« Reply #1339 on: January 11, 2011, 01:29:09 PM »
Hi, Phil

I never had a drink in the Midland. My only memories are of standing outside in summer with my "proverbial" bottle of Vimto on the ledge and a bag of crisps(with the salt in a little blue bag inside) with family.....late 50s/early 60s.

I did take a photo of the Midland in the late 80s.....another visit back to childhood. There is just nothing there anymore of memories past....... and that is the sadness of it all!

Tony

Tony

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1340 on: January 11, 2011, 01:54:12 PM »
Hi Tony

This is the only photo I have of the Midland it was taken the last time I was down that way in November 2008. Just after that there was a shooting there in the early hours of the morning. I think the place was being used by drug pushers and it was drug related. Perhaps that is why it was closed, as they wouldn't get a lot of passing trade there would they especially at night.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Steve

« Reply #1341 on: January 11, 2011, 03:15:30 PM »
Phil, The Midland was definitely used by druggies for a time. A friend and I went there one evening and went into the back room. It was quite busy and there was a strong smell of Ganja.
  Suddenly this guy who was playing pool jumped onto the pool table, reversed his cue and started playing golf, much to the detriment of the glassware and somebody's head. God knows what he was on. We departed immediately, never to return.
  We heard the cops raided the place soon after.
I think it had become a cider house then, or sometime around then.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy