Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1745266 times)

pudding

Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #1430 on: January 31, 2011, 05:24:00 PM »
Hi Pudding,

If Tony can't help you out then I have one I can post.

Phil
Hi Phil a photo of the new inns would be very nice thanks more the merrier(excuse the pun  :D )

pudding
Where there is a will there is a way

vauxonion

« Reply #1431 on: January 31, 2011, 05:31:11 PM »
Phil that bundy clock is interesting I can well remember the buses used to empty all passengers turn around and stop just passed the shop and wait for there time to go why would the clock be by the last stop surely it would be by the first stop to time when they left not arrived.Dek

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1432 on: January 31, 2011, 05:41:42 PM »
Tony

I have been collecting photos of Birmingham for many years now, and obviously I have amassed a large collection. That particular photo of the Bundy Clock came from http://lives.bgfl.org/carlchinn/ which is a collection of photos that have been amassed by Professor Carl Chinn.

There are quite a lot of photos of the Nechells area, and the good thing is they are not copyrighted. All they ask is if you use them is to acknowledge the site. Which I failed to do, but I am now rectifying that omission.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1433 on: January 31, 2011, 05:45:48 PM »
Pudding

I feel such a fool when I opened my big mouth I forgot that you crowd come from the other end of Nechells to me (the posh end) so when talking about the New Inns it would be the one on Nechells Park Rd and not the one on Great Lister St. What I am saying is I don't have a photo of that one, but I will have a search and see if I can come up with one.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1434 on: January 31, 2011, 05:49:30 PM »
Dek

About the Bundy clock, if we are to believe the bus stop then the clock would have to be on the left side of the road facing away from Cuckoo Bridge and toward Nechells Park Rd, because only then would it be "To City".

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pudding

« Reply #1435 on: January 31, 2011, 07:01:28 PM »
Pudding

I feel such a fool when I opened my big mouth I forgot that you crowd come from the other end of Nechells to me (the posh end) so when talking about the New Inns it would be the one on Nechells Park Rd and not the one on Great Lister St. What I am saying is I don't have a photo of that one, but I will have a search and see if I can come up with one.

Phil
Hi Phil, never mind mate as I have this photo to show all us nechellites and duddestan's sorry about the cropping of the pic as it is a private photo of a Friend that was given to me many years ago for the purpose of the new inns pub and it is the only one I have

pudding

Steve

« Reply #1436 on: January 31, 2011, 09:02:48 PM »
"To City" You wouldn't be going anywhere aelse from there would you?
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

WHITTINGTON

« Reply #1437 on: February 01, 2011, 01:20:15 PM »
Hi all.

As far as I can remember the 43 bus ran down Nechells Park Road and turned left into Cuckoo Road. The terminus was just before Long Acre on the left, facing Cuckoo Bridge. When setting off back to town, it turned left into Long Acre and turned left again(either 1st or 2nd left) to get back onto Nechells Park Road to head back into the City. As I said before, the City terminus(60s & 70s) was in Bull Street(upper end), outside Lewises.

vauxonion

« Reply #1438 on: February 01, 2011, 06:25:27 PM »
Quote----        As far as I can remember the 43 bus ran down Nechells Park Road and turned left into Cuckoo Road. The terminus was just before Long Acre on the left, facing Cuckoo Bridge. When setting off back to town, it turned left into Long Acre and turned left again(either 1st or 2nd left) to get back onto Nechells Park Road to head back into the City. As I said before, the City terminus(60s & 70s) was in Bull Street(upper end), outside Lewises. [/size]

[/size]
Tony I remember the buses using this route in the 60s. But earlier the Trolley buses and for a time the buses turned at the junction of Cuckoo Rd and Long Acre.There was a large cobbled circular area to allow the turning of the trolley buses with the tram lines also going round to allow for the return journey. Dek[/size]

pudding

« Reply #1439 on: February 01, 2011, 07:34:28 PM »
Hi Phil and all

This is an ongoing debate about the bundy clock in Cuckoo Road, as some say it is on one side of Cuckoo Road and others say it is on the other side, both sides could be right. The reason I say this is by the photos posted on the site.

If you notice the photo on page 125 post 1368 the architecture of the windows is the same as the windows in post 1373 at the same terminus with the bundy clock behind the bus in picture but however if you look at the picture on page 130 post 1429 you will notice that the architecture of the windows are on the opposite side of the road. In my opinion since time lapsed between the first and last time they were used over the years they changed sides, so this may be the cause of the confusion because the earlier generation remembers it on one side of the road and the later generation remembers the other side of the road.

Can anyone give me a date of when the bundy clocks were first introduced by the Birmingham Transport Corporation because I haven't done any research in this.

Pudding

vauxonion

« Reply #1440 on: February 01, 2011, 08:27:19 PM »
Hi pudding I,ve just had a thought Tony and I remember them changing the turn around from doing a U turn to going up Long Acre and turning left to come back to Nechells Park Rd what if they moved the Bundy Clock At the Same Time .Dek

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy