Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1745120 times)

blane

Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #1452 on: February 03, 2011, 08:08:03 PM »
Hi Phil.  -  The road that Goodrich St and Lingard St. ran from was Saltley Rd. which started from the Turks Head (Bloomsbury St.) to Saltley Viaduct.Rember Mrs. Fosters [censored] and Pea shop ? and the shop facing the Station Pub which sold cheap veg. and bread,the owner was an ex paratrooper who had part of his head blown away during one of the his parachute raids.I believe his name was Raymond.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1453 on: February 03, 2011, 08:53:53 PM »
Blane

Of course you are right great Lister St finished at Oliver St, Blooomsbury St and it was Saltley Rd after there. I get a little carried away with myself at times, it was such a long time ago now. No I'm afraid I don't remember Mrs Fosters as I used to fetch ours from a shop up by the Nelson pub sorry but the name eludes me now.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Steve

« Reply #1454 on: February 03, 2011, 09:05:14 PM »
All this talk of [censored] and Peas has me hankering for a dishful. I'm off down to the Butchers in Ironbridge tomorrow to buy some of their proper old fashioned creations.
  Are there still shops in Brum where you can get those old original style [censored]?
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1455 on: February 03, 2011, 09:30:45 PM »
Steve

I don't think there is anymore leastwise I don't know of one, not enough profit in them I suppose. I think they still do a good trade around the black country though.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

blane

« Reply #1456 on: February 04, 2011, 01:16:39 PM »
Hi  all  -  I recall to my grandchildren what we used to eat then,and the look of disgust they give when I reel off Tongue,Eyepiece,Beeves Hearts,Pigs Feet,Real Ox Tails, etc.They say we must have been really poor not to be able to afford Pizza's,Beefburgers and Kebabs.To cap it all I tell them I did'n't have a hot meal for 3 years after the Germans had bombed the local chippie,but we never complained,we waited for them to come along and let rip.

Steve

« Reply #1457 on: February 04, 2011, 01:33:58 PM »
Burns Night has just passed, Haggis is on the supermarket shelves this week. I don't think there's that much difference between them and [censored], being mostly offal.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1458 on: February 04, 2011, 01:37:20 PM »
Blane

Even though poor whilst being brought up with my mother, I was still very fussy about what I would eat and very often ate just toast made at the open fire (coke fires were best) while the rest of the family were tucking in to some of the delicacy's you mention.

Even today I wouldn't eat a McDonald's meal or a Pizza, though I enjoy a curry otherwise I'm just a roast beef and 2 veg man. From what I see at my children & grandchildrens houses I think the traditional Sunday dinner is a thing of the past.

Phil

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

trapio

« Reply #1459 on: February 04, 2011, 01:54:33 PM »
Hi Steve,

Have had haggis a couple of times and plenty of [censored] as a child and frankly I prefer a good [censored] (NEVER say that in US!), so I hope that you pick up some good ones. 

Nobody knows how to make them here - they do something a bit, similar ''albondigas'', which means it's originally an Arabic dish - I generally like Arab food but the Spanish and Dominicans have had 500 years to mess about with it, so it's generally about half the size and tends to be greasier, like a 'rissole or meatball'.

Enjoy them, I envy you a good [censored] or 3!

trapio
Integrity is non negotiable

Steve

« Reply #1460 on: February 04, 2011, 02:31:34 PM »
Trapio, We have benefited in this country in my view, from all the immigrants bringing their cuisine and opening Restaurants and takeaways.
 I wonder if you'd make a success with an English Restaurant in your neck of the woods. Phil might be more inclined to visit then. ;)

WHITTINGTON

« Reply #1461 on: February 04, 2011, 03:32:54 PM »
Hi all, I have to agree with Steve; The 'Ruby Murray's' are part and parcel of 'Brummie' life.....and, I love them. There are many things that others have brought to us, and for that we should be grateful.

Tony

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1462 on: February 04, 2011, 04:13:27 PM »
Tony & Steve

I agree with you that a good curry is now as English as roast beef. I think I must have started eating curry at the age of 15 at the Jinnah on Moseley Rd at the top of Ombersley Rd. It must have been the first curry house in Birmingham that was outside the city centre. 3/6d for beef curry & rice no fancy names like balti and vindaloo or madras in those days. Just curry & rice or fish & chips.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy