Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1744893 times)

frederick

Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #1463 on: February 04, 2011, 04:57:00 PM »
Phil,
I went in the Jinnah on Moseley rd a few times it would be on the week end i may have sat the a table next to you  O0
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1464 on: February 04, 2011, 05:12:36 PM »
Fred

I was a regular in there, I knew the owner and his wife well. She was a big blond Scotch girl who didn't stand for any nonsense, can't remember her name for the life of me and I think his name was Kazzi well at least thats what we called him. It's still the best curry I have ever had anywhere.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

blane

« Reply #1465 on: February 04, 2011, 11:21:43 PM »
Hi All -  Any one remember the Shah Jahan on the corner of Stafford St. and Coleshill St. ( just past the Gaitey),first curry house I went in.I had a Pakistani friend at school,his name was Ashraf Hassan,and we used to exchange our lunches,mine was always bread and jam,and his was chapatis.I always prefered his lunch to mine (no newspaper wrapping),With mine I could eat lunch and do the crossword at the same time.Happy days.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1466 on: February 05, 2011, 12:38:21 PM »
Hi Blane

I remember the Shah Jahn very well, I must have passed it by many times walking in to town. I even spoke to JayKay about the signwriting in this photo as I stood and watched it being painted. If I remember correctly he said the firm he worked for just around the corner would have been responsible. I remember saying that I thought the background colour a sickly lime green was terrible.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

trapio

« Reply #1467 on: February 05, 2011, 05:56:35 PM »
Hi Steve,

As far as foreign food eaten out of its country origin is concerned: have found that food that it is very rarely as good as the original as buyers don't know the authentic meal (and what they're missing) and there is a degree if 'adaptation' to meet real or imagined local tastes....or the all time classic of chop suey, a Chinese invention in US to use up left overs, show-fan is another.

I like most of all: some Arab dishes, much Thai and Malaysian, and egg and chips with mushy peas - the real thing.

I've never had a yen to own an eating house or bar - to me they are places to enjoy, not work hard to the sound of others doing what I like doing!
If you want decent food here, you generally opt for one of the better Chinese places - or an 'arm and a leg' restaurant - these are expense account places apart from a couple, which are not always reliable.  The second level restaurants are ''de la moda'' for 6 months and then out of style.  There is much good food cooked at home by 'domestic workers' who also clean - they are not well paid and may be required to sleep in the house.  Their rights including medical insurance have been improved in the last few years, so there are some good ones who do A level equivalents and save all they can and then start university working part-time in a different job.   I know one who began a Marketing degree in January.

trapio

Integrity is non negotiable

WHITTINGTON

« Reply #1468 on: February 07, 2011, 03:48:57 PM »
Hi All,

I was down the old area taking photos again, this time of the Albion Vaults. However, the building that fascinated me was just down the road. I remember, as a kid, that there was an outdoor just below this building in the 60s, yet cannot remember whether this building was in use then.This has to be the oldest structure still in Nechells?.....Does anyone know anything of it's history and use?

Tony

WHITTINGTON

« Reply #1469 on: February 07, 2011, 03:56:27 PM »
Sorry Guys,

Here is a photo of the old building I mentioned above.

Tony

gibson

« Reply #1470 on: February 07, 2011, 06:30:31 PM »
Hi Tony, I would also be interested in knowing the history of the old building in Cato Street, Nechells, Im sure I recall my late mother telling me, that she worked in the building in the 1930/40s, and that in those days, it was called Chance Brothers Ltd, can anyone shed any light on the use of the building ?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1471 on: February 07, 2011, 07:58:19 PM »
I know I have mentioned this building before, it's the old Vale of Evesham Brewery building. They stopped brewing there in the early 1900's I believe, since then it has been used for various purposes, I even worked there myself as a teenager when it was something to do with the manufacture of prams.

I suppose it must be listed and as usual in these cases as nobody is interested in the building they are waiting until it falls down.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Steve

« Reply #1472 on: February 07, 2011, 08:52:38 PM »
Tha Albion looks well tarted up, it was quite a grotty place in the mid sixties when I occasionally went in for a quick one.
 The Brewery building. I never ever looked up to the full height of the place, But before I read Phil's reply I immediately thought it looked like a brewery, having the hoist hatches on the upper floors. I'm on a learning curve here, I knew of the Vale of Evesham Brewery but didn't even know it was in Brum never mind in the middle of my old stamping grounds. Cheers Tony & Phil.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

blane

« Reply #1473 on: February 07, 2011, 08:57:16 PM »
Hi Phil  -  Great pictures of Cato St. North,my old stamping ground.The window cleaner in the photo doing the outdoor glazing was named Ray Gradwell I believe.He used to clean the windows at N.E. Williams Engineering whilst I worked there.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy