Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1744892 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #1650 on: April 01, 2011, 07:49:40 PM »
Anne

A house that opened direct on to the street would not bother me, No 10 Downing Street opens on to the street that way. If it's good enough for that lot then it would be good enough for me.

Anyway not all of them opened directly on to the street as can be seen in one of the photos. All had rear gardens and entrances that would have been formally laid out. But you will note that I said " Dr Tighe's old house would have done me just fine".

In this photo of Dr Tighe's house you can see the entrance to his walled garden which contained a circular drive where carriages would drop visitors at the formal side entrance. When inside the hall they would be confronted be a double staircase which led up to a ballroom (which had been converted into his operating theatre). Yes it would have just done me and it was a crime to demolish it.

Phil

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

gibson

« Reply #1651 on: April 01, 2011, 07:50:03 PM »
Pudding, Blane,   No Steve didnt wear a mask as far as I am aware, but he used to buy a lot of balloons   :o    or so Im led to believe   ;)

Anne from Stirchley

« Reply #1652 on: April 01, 2011, 08:41:52 PM »
A house that opened direct on to the street would not bother me, No 10 Downing Street opens on to the street that way.

But your house in Solihull doesn't open onto the sidewalk, I'll wager.

10 Downing Street is not a tenement house, bad comparison.

Don't know who Dr. Tigue was, but his house looks nice. Problem for me would be that he would only have had light on three sides. I don't like that.

pudding

« Reply #1653 on: April 01, 2011, 08:54:13 PM »
I lived in a little back street hovel in Francis St and I fully understand why it was demolished. I have often said that I do not understand how English Heritage have tried to romanticise living in back to back house because once you take the people out of the equation there was nothing nice or good about living in filth and squalor.

That being said I cannot for the life of me understand why houses like those on Ashted Row and Great Brook St were demolished. There was nothing wrong with them structurally and they would have stood the test of time and looked as good today as they always did.

Today we have a situation in Birmingham where Birmingham City Council is crying out for larger houses for the bigger families. These would have been ideal, the only problem they would have would be getting me out of one of them. Dr Tighe's old house would have done me just fine.

Phil

Phil this is what you mean by a hovel the yard of blue uneven bricks and a center drain a few feet away from the doorstep also outside toilets two of them to share with the Neighbours and a brewus.ho by-theway its me with my mom down the mill

pudding
Where there is a will there is a way

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1654 on: April 01, 2011, 08:56:59 PM »
Anne

None of the house on Ashted Row were tenement houses, they were all good quality Georgian family houses that for some reason later surrounded by slum housing. No my house doesn't open on to the street, but I have lived in many that did. On the whole I would say that more than 50% of the housing in Birmingham was built terraced and opening on to the street. As were many Georgian Houses, are you saying you would turn down a house on The Crescent in the City of Bath because the front door opens direct on to the street save for the access to the basement.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Anne from Stirchley

« Reply #1655 on: April 01, 2011, 09:02:54 PM »
are you saying you would turn down a house on The Crescent in the City of Bath because the front door opens direct on to the street save for the access to the basement.

Yes, I would. I am very spooked by the gen pop walking right past my front windows. Same reason I never had a street level apartment in Manhattan. Too scary and I value my privacy too much. We have a perimeter fence and a locked front gate.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1656 on: April 01, 2011, 09:06:44 PM »
Pudding,

I was lucky enough (if you can call it luck) to live on the front house of a back court though it was still only 1 room downstairs and two up for 7 of us at the time. We still used and shared the facilities at the back like the rest.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pudding

« Reply #1657 on: April 01, 2011, 09:11:33 PM »
Phil, here's one with the back of the manor pub in the background me again trying to learn to walk

pudding

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1658 on: April 01, 2011, 09:11:57 PM »
Anne

You see thats the difference between the US & the UK . Most of us having been brought up or at least spent time in this type of house are used to it. Beside we never had anything worth stealing for anybody to break into our house.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1659 on: April 01, 2011, 09:13:58 PM »
Phil, here's one with the back of the manor pub in the background me again trying to learn to walk

pudding

Pudding

The way I hear it is, that you still have trouble walking especially after a tot or two.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pudding

« Reply #1660 on: April 01, 2011, 09:36:33 PM »
Phil, not far to walk or craw on all fours but you try and pronounce chicheley street (if I have spelt it right) with a skin full!!

pudding

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy