Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1744946 times)

vauxonion

Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #1683 on: April 04, 2011, 04:07:31 PM »
Pudding  your 1945 map is very interesting I see yellow lines ( have you supper imposed them on the map?)they show roads that were not built at that time.If the lines were already on there then the new Nechells had already been Planed out by that time.Dek

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1684 on: April 04, 2011, 04:20:47 PM »
I've been looking at the 1945 Aerial map and those new roads must have been laid on it at a later date, but have you took a close look at it, something is wrong. Most of the old roads that were already there haven't moved but according to the map they have. Take a look at Barrack St and Windsor St they are in the wrong place and so is Great Brook St.

Phil

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pudding

« Reply #1685 on: April 04, 2011, 04:36:58 PM »
Dek/Phil, I am new with the google earth but you can turn on or off the map overlay on the photos. what I have notice is the photo overlap are out of line as the roads don't seem to match up on the 1945 photos
pudding
Where there is a will there is a way

vauxonion

« Reply #1686 on: April 04, 2011, 09:18:51 PM »
Pudding i,m beginning to get the gist of the map overlay but the the more I look at it the more discrepancies I find they cannot be to the same scale apart from the road names being in the wrong place I see the B4132 showing a completely new road this is not the case it should be overlaying the Vauxhall Road sadly this mapping system is not very accurate but like you say it,s a new thing for you I commend you on you attempt tat tar for now Dek

pudding

« Reply #1687 on: April 05, 2011, 08:43:54 AM »
Dek,Phil,and all, here is another aerial photo from a different angle,again I do not have the year it was taken?, what I can workout is that we are looking from more or less gt Lister st towards ( the posh end of Nechells as Phil calls it ) on the left of the picture is what I think was the railway goods yard in Rupert st and above that is the old brs dept in Walter st, to the right of this is L H Newtons.

pudding

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1688 on: April 05, 2011, 10:09:59 AM »
Pudding

There are others on here that could give you a more definitive date but I would say it could be as early as 1960 as Denby Close and the new Health Centre has not yet been built. Also though most of Duddeston Manor Rd has been laid out but the Tom Thumb public house has not yet been built and I know that was open in 1962 because the recreation ground opposite was where we hung out.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pudding

« Reply #1689 on: April 05, 2011, 10:58:16 AM »
Phil, thank you for giving me your opinion of the year the photo was taken, as for the the Tom Thumb pub, I am lost so to speak where would it have been on the photo I posted? as for the pub it's self I personally have never seen it in the time I lived Nechells do you have a picture of it? I have one more aerial photo to post which I know is a latter year than the one we are looking at as it doe's have Denby(Greenbank House) Close on it our old Doctors Dr Tight.

pudding

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1690 on: April 05, 2011, 11:48:37 AM »
Pudding toward the bottom middle of your photo you can see a cul de sac in between two blocks of maisonettes. The Tom Thumb would be built on that corner at a later date. I have never been able to find a decent photo of the Tom Thumb and the only one I have is a small one that becomes blurred if I try to blow it up any more than it is here I also have one of it in the background of another photo of a pub which I have blown up a copy of it here.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pudding

« Reply #1691 on: April 05, 2011, 01:25:50 PM »
Phil, thanks for the photo of the Tom Thumb pub and showing me where it was, at least we have a picture of it, even though it is not of very good quality better than nothing. I think I can just about see it on this last aerial picture I have, it is in the middle between two maisonette's, as for Denby Close the Dr's, it appears to be on the righthand side of the Nechells park way? with the new Oliver st running pass it? at the bottom of the photo I can makeout the old library but the old fire sation has been demolishted and replace by new houses also Lingard st and Goodrick st has disappeared off the picture I would guess the photo was taken about 1970/71

pudding

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1692 on: April 05, 2011, 01:38:52 PM »
Pudding

yes it brings you down to ground a bit when you realise that most of the flats and tower blocks (except the original 4 blocks) are now gone and once again new buildings have replaced them.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

vauxonion

« Reply #1693 on: April 05, 2011, 07:25:28 PM »
Phil I love the 2nd photo of the Tomb Thumb it,s taken from the the junction of Gt Francis St and Duddeston Mill Rd the side of the Train on the left and the path leads to the entrance of South Tower. Dek

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy