Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1745206 times)

jaykay

Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #1727 on: April 27, 2011, 10:15:11 AM »
Dr. Davis was our doctor from about 1945-52.

blane

« Reply #1728 on: April 27, 2011, 02:10:32 PM »
Hi Pudding  -  Yes there was a Dr. Gubbins,I believe he was before the two Polish doctors.I do not know about Dr. Rogowski relocating to Tyburn Rd. as I left his practice in 1965 when I got married and moved to Stechford.

pudding

« Reply #1729 on: April 28, 2011, 04:45:52 PM »
Hi all and thank you all who have replied to the subject of the Doctors of old Nechells.(and member Steve for his humour) I have been reading some of the past post of this thread I came to realize that there is a Doctor O'Keeffe? that has not been mentioned.can anyone tell me how many surgeries was based at Greenbank house? well I'll move over to the subject of Dentist as there seems to be no comment on this thread about them, as for my own experience my dad,mom,and myself was treated by a Mr Saxby who resides on Ashted Row,as I am not sure if it was a few doors up from the Doctors or the opposite end of the block of the large houses as I was about four to six years old.I know that Mr Saxby moved to a large house on the Lozells rd, when the old Nechells was condemned to be demolished.

pud
Where there is a will there is a way

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1730 on: April 28, 2011, 05:18:44 PM »
Pud

When I lived in Nechells our family doctor was Dr O'Keefe. First on Ashted Row and then later when he moved to the New Health Centre on  Denby Close. I know that Dr Tighe who's surgery was just down the road also moved there also. There used to be a couple of other doctors and dentists on Ashted Row that also moved there.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

blane

« Reply #1731 on: April 28, 2011, 07:25:58 PM »
Hi All  -  Most of the doctors and dentist's in Ashted Row had their surgeries in the block of houses facing the Ashted Cinema,between Vauxhall Rd. and Willis St.

vauxonion

« Reply #1732 on: April 28, 2011, 07:34:20 PM »
Like Phil Dr O.Keefe was my doctor the dentists name I cannot remember  only the pain of having fillings without any type of pain killer the smell of the gas the trip to the dental Hospital to have an operation to have a root cut out because it had broken off while having one removed those were the days. Dek

ommy123

« Reply #1733 on: April 29, 2011, 04:46:50 PM »
As promised a few pic's of the area,

The first one is Inkerman St. It looks as if it was taken down the bottom end of the street just past Alma Crescent and I would guess early sixties.

The second one is of Duddeston Mill Rd, taken around the same time I would imagine. I had a fish & chip supper from that chippie many a night.

The third one is Watson's shop at 67 Dollman St, I think this one is much earlier.

A final one is St Vincents church attached to the school of the same name in Vauxhall grove.

I will post some more photo's at a later date.

ommy

Anne from Stirchley

« Reply #1734 on: April 29, 2011, 05:06:06 PM »
the pain of having fillings without any type of pain killer the smell of the gas

Back in the day, British dentists were truly appalling. (I hope they've improved now.) It wasn't until I came to America that I found a nice gentle dentist who used anesthesia!

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1735 on: April 29, 2011, 05:09:37 PM »
Hi ommy

Welcome to the forum. I know its a bit daunting making your first post on a forum especially when using quotes, but what were you trying to say?

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

WHITTINGTON

« Reply #1736 on: April 30, 2011, 01:59:45 PM »
Phil,

Drs Tighe, O'Keefe and Gubbins all moved from Ashted Row into Greenbank House in Denby Close. I believe that Dr Gubbins took over the practice of Dr De Vall. De Vall was my families doctor before Gubbins. Gubbins and Tighe were very good friends, as Dr Tighe's wife was Irish and from the south of Ireland and Dr Gubbins was from Hospital(a village), County Limerick.

Dr Gubbins was such a dapper little man, imaculate in his suits, his solid gold watch and cufflinks. Gubbins was from the landed gentry of Ireland, yet still had that wonderful Limerick accent. In fact, when Richard Nixon visited Ireland, whilst President, he stayed in the Gubbins family home. How do I know all of this? My much missed father came from Hospital, County Limerick. Whenever, on the odd occasion, he came to our home he would spend ages talking to my dad and very little time with the 'PATIENT' Such wonderful memories of a grand little man......he always greeted me with: " Good morning, Anteny(accent)!"

Tony

!
Pud

When I lived in Nechells our family doctor was Dr O'Keefe. First on Ashted Row and then later when he moved to the New Health Centre on  Denby Close. I know that Dr Tighe who's surgery was just down the road also moved there also. There used to be a couple of other doctors and dentists on Ashted Row that also moved there.

Phil

phil48

« Reply #1737 on: May 27, 2011, 10:45:11 PM »
hi all
i have read through all these posts and looked at the photos all our family lived in the long acre area and i never realised there was life the other side of rocky lane but i have been to the areas that are mentioned in the posts as i worked at the birmingham coop garage in windsor street and british gas in duddeston mill road but only saw the roads and areas as the developed parts and the memories and photos are very interesting and didnt realise that the area existed as it is shown in the photos ,i suppose the elderly members of our family new what it was like but we moved to kingshurst when i was nine but the years i lived there are remembered as happy ones our doctor was doctor stafford in bloomsbury st
phil  O0 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy