Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1745364 times)

pudding

Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #1826 on: July 04, 2011, 08:34:16 AM »
Hi Dek, I have studied the two photo's and in my opinion they are not the same shop, the reason being are the steps look different to me

pud
Where there is a will there is a way

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1827 on: July 04, 2011, 09:14:09 AM »
Hi Dek

I have looked at this photo before and was unable to work its location out then. As far as I can see that is the Globe public house up on the left in the corner of Barrack St. That being so we are looking at the section of road between Windsor St and Barrack St.

I have gone back to 1903 in the Kelly's Directory's that I have and at no time does it show an open shop anywhere on that stretch of the road. So if the shop is in that location it must be before that date.

As for a possible location, I can find no trace of a wines & spirits shop, there a couple of beer retailers that it could possibly be, but more than that I am still stumped.

Phil.

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mikejee

« Reply #1828 on: July 04, 2011, 09:47:06 AM »
Phil
I know we have been over the unreliability of dates on OS maps, but 1905 and before maps show buildings between those two streets as only at the corners, the rest below the barracks being empty. In 1913-27 (there's a range!) some buildings appear as below

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1829 on: July 04, 2011, 10:35:52 AM »
Mike

On taking a second look at this, I think I have made a mistake and that the photo has in fact been taken outside the Globe public house and the view is from Barrack St to Chicheley St. Where I think I remember an outdoor on the corner.

At roughly the time in question there was a Drapers shop, a Hardware shop, a Laundry, and Dining Rooms. None of which equate or match up to a Wine & Spirits seller.

Mike I did realise that the Windsor St / Barrack St block contained the Cavalry Barracks and later the Ashcroft estate. but I thought I remembered Vauxhall Rd being fronted by housing. The posting of your map made me have a rethink on the matter.

Pity none of this brings us any closer to the location of the shop.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

vauxonion

« Reply #1830 on: July 04, 2011, 04:32:45 PM »
Hi Dek, I have studied the two photo's and in my opinion they are not the same shop, the reason being are the steps look different to me

pud
Hi Pud yes I did question the steps but if you look at the front steps of the houses you see 2 one being flush with the front of the house the other back about 18 inches I thought that the camera angle might be hiding the other step.

Phil the pub you can see is not the Globe it is the outdoor that was on the corner Chicheley St on the L/H side of the photo you can just see the white wall of the Globe it has to be as you would be looking at the Barrack Houses built in the 30s if not. Dek

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1831 on: July 04, 2011, 04:55:25 PM »
Hi Dek

As you can see I came to the same conclusion after a rethink. It's always been a failing of mine to blurt out the first thing that comes in to my head without taking time to study all aspects.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Anne from Stirchley

« Reply #1832 on: July 04, 2011, 08:30:24 PM »
It's always been a failing of mine to blurt out the first thing that comes in to my head without taking time to study all aspects.

Phil, I am biting my tongue not to comment.    :D

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1833 on: July 05, 2011, 10:22:44 AM »
A couple more aerial views that you may not have seen before. Once again because of size restrictions they are not very big, but I think they are recognisable.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pudding

« Reply #1834 on: July 06, 2011, 10:47:52 AM »
Phil,Dek referring to the photo of the unknown shop on Vauxhall road perhaps it was on the other side? if it was then maybe it would have been cleared away when thy built the co op dairy in 1928/9 I believe
pud
Where there is a will there is a way

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1835 on: July 06, 2011, 12:13:51 PM »
Pud

It's a possibilty, but I have looked in all the Kelly's that I have and I can see no sign of a Wines and Spirits shop. Which it obviously is, I dont think it would be listed as beer retailer as I don't see one advert for beer, ale or stout in the window.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

vauxonion

« Reply #1836 on: July 06, 2011, 08:28:16 PM »
Pud

It's a possibilty, but I have looked in all the Kelly's that I have and I can see no sign of a Wines and Spirits shop. Which it obviously is, I dont think it would be listed as beer retailer as I don't see one advert for beer, ale or stout in the window.

Phil
Phil its a strange thing to sell on the Vauxhall Rd specially down the bottom end all the posh house were up the top the only section that had been demolished up there was Guys bottle factory section.Dek

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy