Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1742656 times)

pudding

Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #1936 on: October 29, 2011, 09:22:23 PM »
Hi Phil Mike and all

to continue my list when I was doing the C's I missed one off which was The Clock Tavern Ashted Row my apology and delay

51  The Old Green Man                                                                  Dartmouth St/Richard St

52  The Oliver Cromwell (60's built)                                                  Oliver St

53  The Plough and Harrow                                                            Bloomsbury St

54  The Prince of Wales                                                                Long Acre/Thimble Mill Lane

55  The Prince of Wales                                                                Aston Church Rd/Mount Street

56  The prince Rupert                                                                   Rockey Lane/Walter St

57  The Railway                                                                           Gt Francis St

58  The Red Lion                                                                         High Park St/Thimble Mill Lane

59  The Rolling Mill                                                                       ?Thimble Mill Lane

60  The Royal Duke                                                                      Cromwell St

61  The Royal Exchange                                                                Long Acre

62  The Rising Sun                                                                       Heneage St

63  The Royal Oak                                                                       Ashted Row

64  The Raven                                                                           Gt Lister St/Dartmouth St

65  The Rocket (60's built)                                                            Vauxhall Rd

66 The Rupert Arms                                                                     Rupert St/Oliver St 

67  The Station                                                                           Saltley Rd/Goodrick St

68  The Stork                                                                              Freeman Rd

69  The Swan                                                                             Bloomsbury St

70  The Swan with Two Necks                                                       Lawley St/Gt Brook St

71  The Sportsman                                                                      Saltley Rd

72  The Scotch Terrier                                                                  Bloomsbury St

73  The Solders Return                                                                 Nechell's Park Rd

74  The Turks Head                                                                      Bloomsbury St

75  The Tom Thumb                                                                      ? ?

76  The Unicorn                                                                           Bloomsbury St

77  The Victoria                                                                           Dudderston Mill Rd

78  The Villa Tavern                                                                     Nechell's Park Rd

79  The Vine                                                                                 Nechell's Park Rd/Trevor St

80  The Viaduct                                                                           Lawley St

81  The Warwick Castle                                                                Saltley Rd

82  The White Heart                                                                     Cromwell St

83  The White Heart                                                                     Nechell's Park Rd/Railway Terrace

84  The White Horse                                                                     Long Acre/Holborne Hill

85  The White Swan                                                                     Bloomsbury St

86  The White Swan                                                                     Nechell's Park Rd/ Cheatham St

87  The White Tower                                                                    Lawley St/Vauxhall Rd

88  The Foaming Tankard                                                              Bloomsbury St

89  The Why Not                                                                         Oliver St

90  The Woodman                                                                        Cattells Grove/Johnson Street

Finally the list I have got is finally over if any one can think of any that I have missed out please post

pud         
Where there is a will there is a way

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1937 on: October 30, 2011, 09:21:11 AM »
Pudding

Great List, I have sat and gone through it all trying to remember the ones I can, there were quite a few of them still around until the last sixties, but I have to admit there are quite a few that must have been a long time before my time as I have never heard of them.

By the way the Tom Thumb was on Duddeston Manor Rd, the road that replaced Lupin St mostly.

I'll now have a look and see what photos I can come up with.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mick m

« Reply #1938 on: October 30, 2011, 12:46:59 PM »
I was looking at your list,s of pubs,although I remember and used quiet a few of them. The Warwick Castle I remember, I believe was on the corner of Woodcock Srteet and Gosta Green oppisite The Sack 0f Spuds top end of Lister Street.I do not recall it being in Saltley Road.I would be happy if someone could confirm it.I cuold be completley wrong

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1939 on: October 30, 2011, 01:16:48 PM »
Mick

The Warwick Castle that you and I knew was as you say on Aston St, but some of these pubs that pudding is naming are so old they could have in fact bore the same name and not have been located all that far away.

This is a photo of the Warwick Castle in 1966.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1940 on: October 30, 2011, 01:53:09 PM »
Pudding

over the next few days I will upload what pubs I have that lay within the district of Nechells and some that bordered on the edge of the district. I will only post small images but if there is any one that you would like a larger copy of please let me know.

Phil

1. Adderley Park Inn
2. Adelade Arms
3. Albion
4. Albion Vaults
5. Army & Navy
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1941 on: October 30, 2011, 02:00:37 PM »
The next few pubs,

6.   Ashted Hamlet
7.   Beehive
8.   Black Horse
9.   Brewery Arms
10. Britannia Proctor St

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Steve

« Reply #1942 on: October 30, 2011, 03:46:28 PM »
Phil, Re the Adderley Park Inn. Everyone around where I lived, up Adderley Rd in Arden Rd referred to the pub as the 3 A's (derived from Ansells Aston Ales). I recall the 3 A's insignia being acid etched into the glass of the windows and inner doors.
 Do you know when the name was changed?
 P.S. You may want to correct the photo caption as you have it as Adderley St. I'm sure your collection will be preserved for posterity long after we're gone.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1943 on: October 30, 2011, 03:53:54 PM »
Steve

You are of course right it is Adderley Rd and not Adderley St which is in Bordesley.I'm always mixing the two up.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pudding

« Reply #1944 on: November 01, 2011, 09:01:27 AM »
Phil found this picture of the Britannia that was in Inkerman st don't know if you already have it
pud
Where there is a will there is a way

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1945 on: November 01, 2011, 10:49:38 AM »
Pudding

The very same photo is on my list of pubs to post.

11. Britannia Inkerman St
12. Britannia Freeman Rd
14. [censored] Tavern
15. Cromwell Arms
16. Cross Keys Colman St

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1946 on: November 01, 2011, 11:51:34 AM »
The next pubs on my list are,

17. Dartmouth Arms
18. Dog & Partridge
19. Duddeston Hall Inn (I think this one is yours pudding)
20. Eagle & Tun
21. Eagle
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy