Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1744920 times)

pudding

Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #2057 on: December 05, 2011, 11:17:18 AM »
and here is the final photo taken just prior to demolished mid 1970's

pud
Where there is a will there is a way

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2058 on: December 05, 2011, 11:36:41 AM »
Pudding

The story I heard is that the White Swan was bombed out during the war, that might be true and account for the different roof level with the property next door as in the old photo the pubs roof level is lower.

Phil

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pudding

« Reply #2059 on: December 31, 2011, 11:01:27 AM »
Hi all, here's a little reminder of a building that was in our old patch Denby Close,Greenbank House.(now open wide and say AAHHH) yes been in there many a time's to see the Doc's.

Looks like the photo was taken just prior to being demolished

Happy New Year All

pud

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2060 on: December 31, 2011, 11:58:12 AM »
Hi Pudding I remember when the Health Centre in Denby Close opened in the early 60's. Our doctor moved from Ashted Row to there.

In fact until my illness was detected about 7 years back the last time I saw a doctor for anything other than a HGV medical was at that surgery in 1970.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2061 on: January 03, 2012, 07:31:42 PM »
Two views of Henry St in the mid 50's that used to cut through the top section of Francis St where I lived at that time. The first photo is taken from the corner of Ashted Row and is looking toward Great Lister St. In the distance you can see Windsor St gasworks.

the second photo shows St James Sunday School at the top of our road where most Sundays we toddled along with our own plate and mug where we got our best meal of the week in exchange for listening to a few bible readings and singing a few hymns. There were more than a few of us sorry to see it go when it was one of the first buildings in the street to go. It remained as an empty site for a few years until they got round to demolishing the rest of the street about 1963.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pudding

« Reply #2062 on: January 04, 2012, 03:09:47 PM »
Hi Phil you have just made up a complete jigsaw with your last post of the two photo's, as I can see and work out where the photographer was standing to take your first picture he or she was standing outside the pub by the parked cars(I have forgot the name of the pub on the corner of Henry st and Ashted row, as you did tell me in a past post) the lady's have just walked past the doorway of St James Sunday School on the righthand side of the photo.if you look closely over the top of the Lady's head you can make out the gas lamp over the door of the outdoor on the corner of Henry st and Heneage St,(click this link http://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2050.0;attach=7741;image)

If you cast your eyes to the middle of the photo the only parked car is out side the Shepherd and Shepherdess pub as you can just make out the white walls,and at the back of the same car is the works of  C T Willitts corkscrew makers (click this http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af30/Dekcarr/Old%20Brum/Image7_Heneage_St_1945.jpg)

I hope Dek is feeling better now?

pud

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2063 on: January 04, 2012, 03:23:52 PM »
Hi pudding

I think you have got it mostly right except for the Ashted Tavern that was on the opposite side of Ashted Row Henry St (south side).

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pudding

« Reply #2064 on: January 04, 2012, 04:00:31 PM »
Phil,there seems to possably be a small workshop or is it another pub? in the middle of the photo between Francis st and Heneage St on the lefthand side of the road as it look like name boarding over the windows

pud

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2065 on: January 04, 2012, 06:32:18 PM »
Pudding

If you are talking about the pther side of the road, this is what Kelly's says for around that period.

Phil.

here is Heneage st

70 Crathorne Mrs. Winifred
    fried fish dlr
60 Potterton E. & Son Ltd
    brewers' engnrs
54 Greenfield Miss Fanny
    shopkpr
48 Shwalbe Mrs. Leah,
   furniture brkr

here is Francis st
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pudding

« Reply #2066 on: January 05, 2012, 05:50:30 PM »
Phil, E.Potterton & Son Ltd at 60 Henry st, I wonder if this was a large or a double building?

perhaps mikejee can come up with a street plan to look at?

This photo of Bradburn way awaiting demolition by the look of it and new house's have already replaced two of the four blocks of flats that was off Rupert st I think? I know that Bradburn way chopped more or less a third of old Cromwell st off it original length. I can just make out The Brittana pub on the corner of Protector st.

pud

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2067 on: January 05, 2012, 06:15:23 PM »
Pudding

You can just make out on this early plan, that 56-62 was in fact what looks like a brass foundry when it was drawn up. I'm sorry I don't have a date but I only have it because it shows our old house at 190a Francis St.

As for Bradburn Way I find it amazing that the old slums stood for around a hundred years and I watched them being demolished to be replaced by what was heralded as the dawn of a new way of living in a new world. Only to watch them all being demolished again some 30 years later.

Phil

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy