Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1744872 times)

pudding

Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #2068 on: January 05, 2012, 06:58:48 PM »
Thank's for the street plan Phil, I thought it may have been a small factory because there seems to be a gateway between the windows and doors

pud
Where there is a will there is a way

mikejee

« Reply #2069 on: January 06, 2012, 01:11:28 AM »
Phil
Your map above is post war. the 1937 map shows the machinary works (though not named as machinary works) as only half the size . the c 1951 map shows it very similar to yours, but with less detail and no numbering

bishopskid

« Reply #2070 on: January 08, 2012, 09:29:36 AM »
Hi all, have just joined this site. I was born on Mount Street, Nechells, so i guess i am ok lol. I went to Eliot St school right the way thru to senior school. My grandmother was Sarah Jane Hudson.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2071 on: January 08, 2012, 09:38:02 AM »
Hi there Bishopskid

Welcome to the forum, you are welcome no matter where you were born. It's not my end of Nechells but there are plenty on here that know and were born in that area as well.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

bishopskid

« Reply #2072 on: January 08, 2012, 09:48:25 AM »
Thanks Phil. I am enjoying looking at all the old photos, and thinking i wish it could be like that once again. They say you should never look back, but what the hell, i'm just an old fashioned girl. I noticed last night that someone had said there was no Wimbush shop at the top of Trevor street. I know for a fact there was, and the lady that managed it was called Jane, the same name as myself. Their drippin cakes were the best, as were the ring doughnuts. Also, my dadwas a barman at the " Empty "aka The Albion, and somewhere i have a pic of him behind the bar with Mr Palmer. He also helped out at the Villa Tavern, with Mr & mrs Maskell. They retired to devon a long time ago, but they were lovely people. My dads name was Cyril Bishop.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2073 on: January 08, 2012, 10:49:56 AM »
Hi Jane

As I said Nechells Park Road and around there was not my end of Nechells. The top of Bloomsbury St was about as far as I used to get in the El Greco Café. Though I did have a mate for a time that lived down the end of Nechells Park Rd a couple of doors away from the pub.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

bishopskid

« Reply #2074 on: January 08, 2012, 11:00:20 AM »
Hi Phil. As well as living on mount street, i also lived 2 doors away from the co-op on nechells park road, after that, rupert street, then from there, i lived in south tower. I used to stay with my aunt and uncle there during the week, so i could stay at eliot street school, but my home was actually on the firs estate in castle bromwich. My married name is hipkiss, but my husband, Robert passed away 7 years ago. His mum and dad lived next door to the everitts on duddeston mill. One of the members on here...kimthebrummie is my niece by marriage. I live in nottingham now, have been here since 86, but my heart has stayed in Brum. My brother still lives there, in Sheldon. Fred Bishop.

pudding

« Reply #2075 on: January 08, 2012, 03:29:28 PM »
Hi all, Phil I think I have found a photo of an exact lookalike The Duddeston Hall Inn (the monkey house)that was on the corner of Cato st and Somerset st,This is going on what I see in my minds eye of the old pub as a kid the architect looks the same for sure?,the photo is of The Horse and Jockey which was or still is on the corner of Bordesley park rd and Miles st. I can see this pub was a Davenports house I wonder if the monkey house was the same?.
 pud

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2076 on: January 08, 2012, 05:44:21 PM »
Pudding

As I have said previously I don't remember anything about the Monkey House. I wasn't even sure where it was a few years back. Though if it was a scrumpy house as it has been described then I would have thought it might have been a free house. As not many breweries liked to be associated with scrumpy.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pudding

« Reply #2077 on: January 10, 2012, 12:36:55 PM »
Hi Phil and all, found a picture while I was moping about the net it is of the green or the park, I had to enlarge and crop the photo to get the tom thumb pub in the background but it shows us the surroundings, sorry the image is not of very good quality as the resolution was so low

pud

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2078 on: January 10, 2012, 12:50:29 PM »
Pudding

That is absolutely brilliant, I've no need to tell you that I have taken a copy and I'll play about with it for ages trying to clear it up a bit. Can you tell me where you got it, by PM if you like.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy