Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1745007 times)

pudding

Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #2090 on: January 23, 2012, 09:01:55 PM »
Hi Phil,Dec,Mike,do any of you have a street plan or map of the building line of the two streets/road that you can compare to the photo as to the right side of the picture is open ground? and the houses that are laid back from the block in the distance.
pud
Where there is a will there is a way

vauxonion

« Reply #2091 on: January 23, 2012, 10:09:35 PM »
Have a look at this photo similar but much earlier. Dek

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2092 on: January 23, 2012, 10:40:21 PM »
Dek

That the place alright, I was never happy with the claim that it was Ashted Row. I can now put the correct name to it.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2093 on: January 23, 2012, 10:45:15 PM »
Hey Dek,

Could you imagine Sir Benjamin living there at the time we lived there?

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pudding

« Reply #2094 on: January 28, 2012, 01:37:51 PM »
Hi Phil and all, still keeping an eye out for an unseen picture of our old patch to post on, well found this
one The Oliver Cromwell pub or latter known as The Village Tavern, now is a pharmacy! so you can no longer get plastered in there, but you can get plasters!! Phil I know you have already posted a pic of the pub but this one shows Cromwell street side entrance.

pud
Where there is a will there is a way

daverock

« Reply #2095 on: January 28, 2012, 04:21:30 PM »
Hi
I would like to get in touch with Tramp from this site & I hope he picks this message up, I think he must have been at Clifton Rd. School with me & also I was born in Ombersley Rd.
My Dad lived in Nechells & used to be a pal of one of the Taronis, he worked for LMS & BR in a few places around Brum but finished at Aston Goods
Cheers
Dave Rock

john44

« Reply #2096 on: January 30, 2012, 09:28:53 PM »
Hi oznow, I think it is the same Talbot person ....? Would you not know from all the information I gave as regards where he lived, what block and flat he lived in, his brother Colin and mother, Joan, etc ....? He had dark hair and a tanned, almost foreign complexion ....?

I didn't know or can't recall the Irish / Indian family ...... They could have been before my time ....

I remember when they built the Ashted Hamlet and all around there ..... The Adelaide pub was on the corner of Erskine St .... Which was Adelaide St when it was first built ....

There was a great chipper in Revesby Walk ..... Italian ..... I don't know if you remember it ..... and the Barber Shop beside the Newsagent with the Bank beside that on the corner ..... The red phone box's were in the middle of the Walk by the Hardwear Shop ....

We used to have to walk up there to use the phone, as we didn't have a phone at home ..... Now we have six internal and 4 mobile phones ..... Everyone has a glut of everything these days ..... There are about six mobile phones in the house that are perfect but no one wants them as they want the latest style .....

There was some good shops up there in the early sixties ..... That's where my mom got a lot of her groceries from ...... The whole place is totally alien now ..... a ghetto ..... I haven't walked through there for donkeys years ...... I remember Vauxhall Rd, outside of Revesby Walk, when it was cobbled and seemed very wide ......

Do you remember the shops up Great Francis St on the right before the bend, opposite, The Train, before they knocked it down and built The Rocket ..... They went from the corner of Pitny St to the bend ..... Pitny St, was the short cobbled street over the road from the pub that led into the railway ...... The gates to the railway were always open .....

Do you remember the brand new public toilets up the side of The Hamlet with the automatic hand dryer ..... Some plonker ( wasn't me ) put a house brick in the hand dryer to activate the blower and left it there ...... That was the end of the blower and not long after the toilets were vandalised and fell into disrepair ......

They were supposed to be vandal proof ..... They were ahead of their time, really .... What a waste of money putting an unsupervised toilet block in there .....

I didn't go to that St Joseph's ..... It amalgamated with Leigh Rd ..... So it was the amalgamated version of St Joseph's I went to ...... Though, The Headmaster was Mr Frank Cassell and Deputy Head, Mr Prior ......

Here is a good website for you to look at it's at ..... www.stjosephs-nechells.co.uk

It should hopefully bring back lots of memories for you ......    O0  Telstar

john44

« Reply #2097 on: January 30, 2012, 09:36:11 PM »
hi oznow you mentioned shan bill or baba  and john ali thats me and my brothers you said your brother new us we lived in ashted row  what was your brothers name thanks

john44

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2098 on: January 30, 2012, 09:46:44 PM »
Hi John

First let me welcome you to the forum, I'm afraid Oznow has not posted on the forum for a couple of years now. So I would be surprised if his answers your question. We have others on here that know the Ashted Row area quite well. So someone else might remember you.

I lived in Francis St myself, but I have to say I don't recall you or your brothers. Which part of Ashted Row did you live on.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

john44

« Reply #2099 on: January 30, 2012, 10:16:01 PM »
hi  phill i lived at 160 behind the watch repair shop the barber and green grosser next door
knocked about with Ikie  Beman and Dennis Wilkes went to locko

john44

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2100 on: January 30, 2012, 10:28:06 PM »
John

I remember the shops on the corner of Henry St but I can't remember you, what years did you live there. We moved into Francis St in 1953/54.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy