Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1744918 times)

netty 1960

Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #2222 on: March 02, 2012, 01:08:09 PM »
Sorry about the typing having one them days !! It should say prince rupert pub !

Lumpy

« Reply #2223 on: March 02, 2012, 02:39:22 PM »
Vauxonian,
I remember this station well. Great pics. The photos of the school that have been posted isn't the school that I remember. There seems to be some confusion with Devon street and Loxton Street. However, the school was St. Annes as I still have a school badge. I will ask by brother in Australia when I speak to him next.
Elaine

Lumpy

« Reply #2224 on: March 02, 2012, 02:42:12 PM »
Netty,
Loved reading your post. The name 'Billy Boucher' pops up everywhere! My brother remembers him! He must have been very popular!
Enjoy the site. The photos on here are excellent!
Elaine

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2225 on: March 02, 2012, 03:13:35 PM »
Hi netty

Welcome to the forum, if you have read any of the above posts on this thread you will know that I hung around for a while in my teens with a crowd that included Billy Boucher. An in law of his used to post on this forum a while back and I tried to get her to get him on the forum but he never did.

At the time that I knew him he worked for British Rail as a fireman on the old steam engines. He had the best paid job of the whole crowd of us.

Phil

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

vauxonion

« Reply #2226 on: March 02, 2012, 05:54:49 PM »
Hello  Lumpy I think the school you are after maybe Bloomsbury School this was in Goodrick St.Dek

netty 1960

« Reply #2227 on: March 02, 2012, 06:15:38 PM »
Hi everyone thanks for the welcome , Phill i spent 3 nights reading the forum thats when i seen Billy Bouchers name on there , i hope so much that there are people who remember my Dad"s family and as i said i wasn"t born around the area , i was born in Harborne , we then moved to Tower Rd Aston 1/89 , then when they demolished the houses we where moved to Stechford . But despite all this we had lots visits to Nechells as kids , my Dad worked at Smiths forgeings in Wainwright st and had his own seat in the pub on the corner but for the life i cannot remember the name off it !

blane

« Reply #2228 on: March 02, 2012, 07:27:51 PM »
Hello Netty  -  I remember the Cooks well,my family lived in the terrace behind their house in Charles Arthur St..I was friends with Brian,I remember poor Carol,I believe she died of Hydracephelus ( water on the brain) when she was about 3/4 years old.Derek's nickname was Tinker and he married a girl who lived in Stechford.The last time I saw Carol was when we both worked at Clarkes Cables in St. Clements Rd.about 1960,and she had grown into a very pretty woman.

bookworm

« Reply #2229 on: March 02, 2012, 08:28:52 PM »
Can anyone help my aged brain? If you come off the main road (running through Nechells to Saltley Gate) turn right into Devon Street and cross over to the first left turning in Devon Street (still with me?) then what was the name of that road/street about 1964ish? (hope you all understood that)

blane

« Reply #2230 on: March 02, 2012, 08:44:03 PM »
Hello Bookworm  -  I believe it was called Somerset St.,it ran from Cato St. over Devon St. and terminated into a cul - de - sac.It was were the railway workers had their lodgings.

bookworm

« Reply #2231 on: March 02, 2012, 08:52:23 PM »
Somerset Street slightly rings a bell. This street had a slight incline but I don't remember it being a cul-de-sac (but then I don't remember much these days) but you could be right. As far as I can remember the homes (on the left of that street) were two up and two down. Straight in the front door, living room on the right and stairs on the left, then through the hall to another room. Unless the room on the right was the kitchen? Oh i wish I had paid more attention! Thanks for the answer, if I sleep on it I should put it all together (eventually.)

blane

« Reply #2232 on: March 02, 2012, 10:56:05 PM »
Hello Netty  -  Sorry I had a O.A.P. moment when I posted about the Cooks,it was Maureen I worked with at Clarkes Cables. :o :P

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy