Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1744864 times)

netty 1960

Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #2233 on: March 02, 2012, 11:32:57 PM »
Hi Blane you have so made my day ! Yes Maureen was a pretty lady she married a man called mick dunne and they had 5 children all grown up now , they did divorce though and the last i heard she had remarried and living in coeshill im afraid it awfull to say that since most the other half family ( the Elston"s ) have all but Iris passed away we seem to have lost track the cook"s so sad really . Deryck is living in chelmsley wood i last saw him about 7 years ago his partner was on the ward in heartlands where i worked as a nurse , Deryck did marry years ago and then divorced. . And Brian married Pauline from stechford  and they now live in nether whittickar ( I dont think , i spellt that right ) So do you remember my Gran she played the piano though i never seen her , her name was francis but Fanny for short . Have you any memories the older brothers like my Dad ? Albert John or titch as they all called him he was always in the pubs around there , My Dad was the youngest the Elston"s .
Thanks for the message i do remember the name the rd now ? Did you ever go in the duddeston social club ?

blane

« Reply #2234 on: March 03, 2012, 02:38:57 PM »
Hello Netty  -  Sorry to say I do not recall any of the names you mentioned,my family moved out when I was 5 years old,to Francis St..My grandmother still lived in Longacre until her death in the mid 50's,she used to have the coalyard by the corner of Charles Arthur St. and Longacre.Polly Wards on one corner,[censored] and Farr's on the others,and a converted cafe on the other,next to the coalyard.I used the Duddeston and Nechells Ex. Servicemens Club 3 or 4 times a year when I played darts in the C.I.U. League.My father - in - law was the Treasurer there in the 40's until the family were re-housed to Kingstanding.The club used to be next to Cromwell St. School before it moved to Saltley Rd..Fortunately my elder brothers are still going strong,I will ask them if the name Elston rings any bells.   Regards

netty 1960

« Reply #2235 on: March 03, 2012, 03:13:16 PM »
Hi Blane
thanks for reply , that would be great if you could ask your older brothers . I know that my dad and his brothers where all in the navy for there natinal service years , my Dad Albert would have left the navy about 1957 , im sure that he went to cromwell st school i seem to remember him talking about it , he was born in 1933 and as isaid he was the youngest the Elstons so the others where probably at that school aswell but before him !
Have a nice day , spk soon  :)

Lumpy

« Reply #2236 on: March 03, 2012, 06:56:26 PM »
Not quite sure how to get back to the thread where I've been posting photos, so I am sorry if I've thrown this out of sync?! Here are some more pics of the flats at Little Hall Road. My brother and I in the garden showing the kitchen window that we used to climb out of, rather than go through the front door, then out of the block and through the gate!!!  You can also clearly see the yard we could play in. And The left sie of the blocks will be Melvina Road.
Elaine

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2237 on: March 03, 2012, 07:22:14 PM »
Elaine

This is the correct thread, it just moves on at a fair old lick at times. Don't worry those that are following your posts will be able to keep up. Though you could always start a separate thread if you want to keep it more personal.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Lumpy

« Reply #2238 on: March 03, 2012, 08:18:50 PM »
Thank Phil! :)
Yes it does move quickly and new people are joining all the time. I love it. These photos show just how big our garden was. We were lucky to be on the ground floor and to have the garden. We didn't venture out into the yard very often.
Elaine

pudding

« Reply #2239 on: March 04, 2012, 09:35:45 PM »
Hi Phil, and all,

Lumpy (Elaine) you are lucky to have had a grassed area to play in who did the mowing? a grassed area like that to me I would have thought I was in Sutton park as for grass in our backyard was growing in between the uneven blue bricks that's if you could find any grass at all!!

I have been out of the forum on a little scouting mission to try and get some photos of our old patch to the best I can so far, well the late Mr Dennis John Norton a very talented amateur railway photographer has come to my request, here is a photo of the Aston shed and the tracks, but my intrest is the road Long acre and Holborn hill junction. It shows us my old local pub (side view) that I had my first pint in The White Horse on the corner and I have made a few bob with my mate and our guy Fawkes on the corner step of the pub it's a pity you can't see the doors as the shot of the photo is too low down as it is taken from the signal box.you can just see a house in the distance which is on the corner of cook street and Holborn hill  I have always known it to be a cafe, just to the leftside of the pub, to the righthand side what looks like a road is infact the pub yard and the courtyard's of the back to back houses in Holborn hill, as for the road I lived in Malvern hill is to the right side of the photo facing the concrete coal tipper, the dome looking structure

pud
Where there is a will there is a way

foster

« Reply #2240 on: March 09, 2012, 04:33:42 PM »
was looking at the picture of nechells someone said they remebmer [censored] that mrs foster made mr and mrs foster was my grandpartent who both passed away before i was born so that was nice to read .

blane

« Reply #2241 on: March 09, 2012, 04:47:26 PM »
Hello Foster  -  I used your grandmothers shop regulary,she was a lovely lady and much respected in the area.I hope you are about 16 years old,and your grandparents enjoyed a long life.  All the best.

pudding

« Reply #2242 on: March 09, 2012, 05:00:15 PM »
Hi, Blane I have been waiting for you to come on the forum, do you recognise this? zoom in

pud
Where there is a will there is a way

foster

« Reply #2243 on: March 09, 2012, 05:37:39 PM »
hi mrs foster died in 1963 my mom and dad had a paper shop next to the lirbary till i was born in 1965 my dad moved to casto st with his new family ive been doing my family tree so its been great to show my mom whos 87 the old pictures of nechells  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy