Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1745014 times)

vauxonion

Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #2266 on: March 18, 2012, 08:48:37 PM »
Mike,
thank you for the information on the two shops relating to where they are or was, as for the one shop on the corner of Cromwell st and gt Lister st it was still going as a bakery under winbushes until it was demolished in the 1960's. here is a photo that was put up on this tread by Phil on page 145 reply 1594 I think its the same shop?

pud
Hi Pud just caught up, Mike mentions the corner of Oliver St.have you missed this or are you referring to the other bread shop. Dek

pudding

« Reply #2267 on: March 18, 2012, 09:31:26 PM »
Hi Dek, you are right, I've got the corners mix up as I always thought Oliver st ended in Bloomsbury st.but the shop is on the junction of gt Lister st, bloomsbury st and saltley rd (it's been a long time ago mind eye gets a bit foggy over time) and of course Cromwell st comes into the mix!!! sorry all
pud.
Where there is a will there is a way

JDS

Mount Street, Nechells
« Reply #2268 on: March 25, 2012, 01:52:04 PM »
Hello Pudding,

I see that you are a Senior Member so I am hoping that you will be gentle with a newcomer who is not sure of the correct protocol in use on this site. If I am posting in the wrong place I would be grateful if you direct me to the correct thread.

’53 Mount Street, Nechells.’

My wife ‘Gillian’ was born at 53, Mount Street, Nechells, and recalls happy times spent with her mother Hilda and Granny Bennett in that house.

Her Gran would take her to a local shop on the pretext of buying her sweets but she later found that the real reason was for her Gran to buy little wraps of snuff. She may be mistaken but is fairly sure the shops name was ‘Lawleys’ and there was usually a massive cat asleep in the shop window.

She recalls that the house was always busy with her aunts and uncles but while she was quite young her mother left Birmingham for Tamworth and alas the family has fragmented and she has lost touch with this big family.

In the house were, Irene (Rene), Cicely (Cissy), Dorothy, Doris, William Henry, Hilda, Norman and Edward Bennett.

She would love to make contact with any of those people or their children,  in fact anyone that had connections with 53 Mount St.

best wishes to all on the Forum

phil48

« Reply #2269 on: March 25, 2012, 08:37:40 PM »
hi pudding
just accessed this topic again and came across your picture of aston sheds it was me who asked about photos from the railway bridge and the mitre on long acre i cant zoom in but when i studied the picture i can make out the mitre and the block of houses that we lived in ahh! memories. any more?
phil48

nechellite

« Reply #2270 on: March 26, 2012, 04:22:15 PM »
Hello JDS,
For some two to three years I have been reading this site but never had the courage to respond to the posts...until now.
Yes, I remember 53 Mount Street, the home of my grandmother and my home for the first 5 years of my life.
The people you list are my uncle and aunts but there is one small correction. Dorothy and Doris were the same person and the missing daughter is my mother, Lydia Pearl (known as Pearl)
Mr Lawley's shop was in Tevor Street, on the right hand side as you walked up towards Nechells Park Road, and was almost facing Johnson Street.
Your wife must be my cousin and her fathers name ....Ben?

pudding

« Reply #2271 on: March 26, 2012, 05:39:10 PM »
Hi JDS,and nechellite

welcome both of you to the forum. JDS I was just about to reply to your post then WOW your wife's cousin pops up nechellite!
That's remarkable!! Sorry I have not replied before now as I been busy running around looking for a replacement television. I finally got one and it's like having new toy at the moment trying to comprehend all this smart tv stuff.

Anyway, I think our member Phil may have a photo of the little shop you are referring to on the corner of Trevor st.

I am glad that your curiosity of the forum has proved positive for the both of you.

I'll post this old street map regarding Mount street for you as I have no photos of it

Hi Phil48 I knew there was someone in a past post requesting a photo of the houses between Stuart street and railway terrace.

I am surprised you can not zoom in as I am using Internet Explorer8 and this has a zoom dropdown botton on the bottom of the page. sorry Phil48 I don't have any more photo's at the moment.

pud
Where there is a will there is a way

JDS

« Reply #2272 on: March 27, 2012, 12:56:19 AM »
Hello Pudding,
This forum is pure gold...... my wife is going to be so happy when she finds that she is not as alone in the world as she thought.
Thank you for the  map, information and good wishes.
Must dash as am falling asleep right now but I'll be back tomorrow with a couple of old B'ham photo's.
all the best ..john

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2273 on: March 27, 2012, 11:48:43 AM »
Hi JDS & Nechellite

Welcome to the forum and especially this thread, please forgive me for not saying hello before now, but I have been a bit ill of late.

Nechellite I think the photo pudding is referring to is this one here, if its not the one let me know.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JDS

« Reply #2274 on: March 27, 2012, 01:16:48 PM »
Hello Phil and Pudding,
Phil thanks for the welcome and i hope your back on form.
 Pudding you appear to have fallen into the same technology trap as me. Not so long ago to watch tv you switched it on, watched it until there was just a little dot in the middle of the screen and then switched it off.
 Nowadays it seems to be three handsets for the various boxes you have to use to get the same result.
My wife is very happy right now. She and Nechellite share a granny, I have answered his post so we are holding our breath until he replies.
yrs john

nechellite

« Reply #2275 on: March 27, 2012, 08:08:05 PM »

Hello Pudding and Phil,
After being an interested bystander for so long it seems strange to be participating. Thank you both for your welcome and good to hear that you, Phil, are on the mend.
Thanks also for the photograph of the shop in Trevor Street. Sadly it was not Mr Lawley's shop as his was not on a corner. Infact, I find it difficult to place the location of this shop as the only shop that I remember on the crossroads of Mount Street and Trevor Street was on the opposite corner…. Then again I have just had a vague recollection of a greengrocers that may have been in that position.
The brain is not as reliable  as it once was.
I have really enjoyed, through the pages of this website, piecing together Nechells as it was. With the help of all your contributors the walk down Memory Lane has not been as painful or as long as I thought it would be. This site has transported me back 60+ years in an instant.
Tanks again.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2276 on: March 27, 2012, 08:25:03 PM »
Hi Nechellite,

No need to thank any of us, we are all here and do what we do because we enjoy it. In sharing our memories we get to relive them along with those we relate them to. Hopefully you too will share some of your less private memories of "the old end"and perhaps be surprised how many others did those things that you thought it was only you and your mates did.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy