Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1745445 times)

phil48

Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #2288 on: March 28, 2012, 08:46:49 PM »
evening all
just came on the site again and this particular thread is so time consuming i keep coming back and find somthing of interest or another photo has appeared that i have not seen, pudding put a photo on recently that came close to my request for one on longacre , now i am making a request for any of railway terrace either end .
just a note of caution i hope that the moderators have backed up all the photos that have been posted so that they dont get lost if they get hacked like what has happened to the birmingham history forum site people are trying to repost but it is taking a lot of time but both sites compliment each other because they cater for both types of subscribers !
long live them both
phil48

pudding

« Reply #2289 on: March 29, 2012, 10:24:11 PM »
Hi phil48 and all

the only photo I have is of the top end of railway terrace is of the pub on the corner with Nechells park road

pud
Where there is a will there is a way

phil48

« Reply #2290 on: March 30, 2012, 05:13:40 PM »
pudding
just seen your post in reply to my request for pictures of railway terrace i have seen this one before but never saved it but this time i have nice photo and a nice sunny day as they always was in my memory .
where do source all these photos from ?.
phil48

pudding

« Reply #2291 on: March 30, 2012, 06:45:54 PM »
Phil48

most of the photo's that I have posted on here are from my own collection that I have mass together over the years.

just drove pass railway terrace today and I notice the jcb diggers are there on the opposite side of the road to wing yip demolishing the small industrial units that replaced the houses and curtyards, they were built about 1964/67

pud

vauxonion

« Reply #2292 on: March 31, 2012, 11:00:21 AM »
Here,s a couple of photos that may jog the memory not sure if they have been on before.Dek

blane

« Reply #2293 on: March 31, 2012, 09:24:25 PM »
Hi Vauxonian  -  Great photo's,when I was 11/12 years old I used to go down to ''The Brickies'' at the top of Adderly Road and scrounge pram parts from the waste tip.Build a go-cart (goie)and race it down Avenue Road hill.I used to pretend I was a racing car driver.When I was even younger I was the lookout for my two older brothers whist they climbed over the wall into Pickfords and stole tins of Treacle.   Blane

phil48

« Reply #2294 on: March 31, 2012, 10:02:25 PM »
evening pud
i worked at lh newtons/gkn on two occasions in my working life there used to be an engineering firm in railway teerace called BOLANDS or BOLANS they were linked to newtons someway as work was carried for newtons i went in there once and it was a single workshop full of engineering machines and quite busy .
anybody any recollections of the place?
phil

QUACKERS

« Reply #2295 on: April 02, 2012, 12:11:50 AM »
    My name is Keith Quirk and I used to live next door to Les's Newsagents in Nechells Park Road  (311a) near to the Villa Tavern,  between 1960 & 1970. I understand our house (in Victorian times) was part of the same address and was the local Post Office - we had a long covered entry from the front door to what probably used to be the original front door. half way along was an entrance to our front room which presumably led into the Post Office (Les's Newsagents).  I lived there, with my late brother Brian and my parents Irene & Bill until the area was re-developed and our house was compulsorarily purchased.  We were rehoused in Tile Cross (near Kitts Green).  My parents still live in Tile Cross - I'm now married with two grown-up children & living in Solihull.
    I often drive down Nechells Park Road and past my old school (Nechells Infants/Junior & Senior), although the Senior school no longer exists.  It's funny how, despite the years, it all seems so recent & familiar.   Although a lot has changed, compared to some area's, a lot of it (particularly around Eliot Street area) is much the same. 
    Like other posters, I well remember the 'Swingo' in Mount Street.  At one point the council built a wooden fort half-way up the hill, next to the slide (I can't see that happening nowadays due to health & safety !!).  I fell off the cast iron rotating 'spiders web' one day during lunch break from school and ended up with a lump the size of an egg on the side of my head - it didn't half hurt !!
   My grandparents (Harold & Bessie Smith) lived at number 19 Needham Street for quite a few years (up until about
1973/4).  I used to walk to their house most school dinner times for my lunch when I was in Senior school.  Their house backed onto the railway line and across the other side lived Kenny Wiggins - one of my best friends from school (a few doors from the swimming baths). We used to throw small stones across to each others gardens. 

I can't believe how the years have flown.  Although none of us had much, I look back with fondness and remember the happy times we all had, before real life & responsibilities came upon us.   A few names that I remember from my years at school  -  Kenny Wiggins,  Paul Taylor,  Tony Dalley,  Nigel Shaw, Barry Storer,  Josiah Gordon,  Anthony Laucius,  Robert Scwhalbe,  Monica Blackwood,  Helen Mullen,  Diane Cruickshank,  Susan Bowley  & teachers -  Mr Duggan,  Mr Piggot,  Miss Parry,  Mr Kennedy,  Mr Arkinstall.  I could go on & on & on but I'll close now & post more in the future.  To all those other Nechellites  -   don't be shy,  just post your memories !! 

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2296 on: April 02, 2012, 10:14:32 AM »
Hi Quackers

Welcome to the forum, sorry I don't know any of the names you mentioned, but as I often said on this forum you lot from the Nechells Park Rd end of Nechells came from the posh end of Nechells and I came from the rough end before it was all sanitised.

phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2297 on: April 02, 2012, 02:37:57 PM »
A few more photos that I'm almost certain are new to this thread. The first one is of the corner of Vauxhall Rd and Lawley Street. Old timers like myself will remember the corner when it was like this as it was just down the road from the black patch park that we used.

The second photo is the corner of Rocky Lane and Bloomsbury St at Nechells Green. It always amazed me how they could call anything in Nechels green back in the 50's. Even the parks were surfaced with black ash.

The last photo is on the edge of our patch at Palmer Street. It's a photo of the flats, I include it here because some old family friends lived there in the 60's, and a member of the forum mentioned them recently. I believe they were turned into a battered wives hostel before they were demolished.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pudding

« Reply #2298 on: April 02, 2012, 04:28:21 PM »
Phil is the photo of Vauxhall rd and Lawley st junction taken from on the island roundabout? if so would the white tower pub be to the left side of the picture but is out of the shot?. what I find is odd is the shop on the corner has no upper windows!!

Been having a much around again this time my house and I have came up with an old all our yesterdays by the evening mail dated January 18 1997 Carl Chinn states

the first pic is Henry street, I am wondering if there is a pub to the righthand side of the photo?

the second pic is Heneage st 1962

the third pic is most interesting as it is of a shop that was bombed outright in 1941,one or more members where trying to locate where about this shop was, and according to Carl it was on the corner of Lupin st and Willis st?

pud

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy