Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 936618 times)

pudding

Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #2299 on: April 02, 2012, 04:28:21 PM »
Phil is the photo of Vauxhall rd and Lawley st junction taken from on the island roundabout? if so would the white tower pub be to the left side of the picture but is out of the shot?. what I find is odd is the shop on the corner has no upper windows!!

Been having a much around again this time my house and I have came up with an old all our yesterdays by the evening mail dated January 18 1997 Carl Chinn states

the first pic is Henry street, I am wondering if there is a pub to the righthand side of the photo?

the second pic is Heneage st 1962

the third pic is most interesting as it is of a shop that was bombed outright in 1941,one or more members where trying to locate where about this shop was, and according to Carl it was on the corner of Lupin st and Willis st?

pud
Where there is a will there is a way

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2300 on: April 02, 2012, 05:21:53 PM »
pudding

You are correct about the location on Vauxhall Rd, just across from the White Tower. If you look at the building you can see that the whole frontage has recently been rebuilt. Perhaps the shop used the rooms as storage so they asked for the windows not to be rebuilt. Or even knowing they were not going to be on site much longer they decided not to bother with windows.

As for your Henry Street photo, it was on the corner of Coleman Street and yes indeed I think it was a pub at sometime, but at the time of the photo it had been taken over by the Salvation Army. See the attached photo

Phil
Make Love Not War

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2301 on: April 02, 2012, 05:38:45 PM »
Another photo that I don't think we have seen before, this time it's Cromwell Street where one or two of our members used to live. This photo is of the street trimmed up for the Silver Jubilee of King George V in 1935.

Phil
Make Love Not War

nechellite

« Reply #2302 on: April 03, 2012, 03:06:37 PM »
Hello Pudding,
In addition to your kind welcome to this site you posted a map of the Mount Street area of Nechells. The problem with being helpful is that people are apt to come and ask for more!
I am using some of the photographs found on this and other sites to recreate the 43 bus route journey. (As sad as it sounds it is for my own amusement and distracts me from the TV.) The route went from Cuckoo Bridge, up Nechells Park Road to Nechells Green. From there it continued up Great Lister Street, past the College of Advanced Technology (that is how I remember what is now Aston University) and terminated in the Old Square.
Here is my problem: I need the street map for the area from Nechells Green to Datrmouth Street. The earliest A to Z I have includes Nechells Parkway and I would like a map which predates this feature. Can you help or advise me how I can obtain such a segment of the map of Birmingham?
That will teach you to be helpful!

nechellite

« Reply #2303 on: April 03, 2012, 03:27:32 PM »
 Hi Phil,
I felt that I had to come back to you following your quip about people from the Nechells Park Rd area being from the posh end (your reply #2297).
I was reminded of the time when I joined the public library. I was about 11 or 12 years old and had walked down to the Bloomsbury Street branch to make enquiries. The lady behind the counter was very pleasant and helpful up to the point at which she asked my address. When I replied, her face changed completely and she demanded to see my hands. She went on to say that people from my area were not very hygienic!
Those were the days before “pc” and “non-pc”.

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2304 on: April 03, 2012, 03:41:34 PM »
Hi Nechelite

I can't remember any part of Nechells being very hygienic when I lived there in the 50's & 60's.

As for your request for a map of the 43 bus route, I think anybody is going to be hard pressed to get a map of that size on this forum as the size limit of 80k per image would make it illegible. You could take a look at this, I know it's old, but the street names are mostly still the same. If this is not practical, I'll see if I can sort something else out.

Phil
Make Love Not War

planetmalc

« Reply #2305 on: April 03, 2012, 05:11:27 PM »
Hello Pudding,
I am using some of the photographs found on this and other sites to recreate the 43 bus route journey. (As sad as it sounds it is for my own amusement and distracts me from the TV.) The route went from Cuckoo Bridge, up Nechells Park Road to Nechells Green. From there it continued up Great Lister Street, past the College of Advanced Technology (that is how I remember what is now Aston University) and terminated in the Old Square.

Assuming the #43 bus got from Nechells Green to Great Lister Street via Bloomsbury Street, then its route sounds pretty similar to the Nechells trolleybus route (was this the #7?), so photo's of those trolleybuses might help to fill in some of the blanks.    There are at least 2 on this forum.
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2306 on: April 03, 2012, 06:59:24 PM »
Nechelite

I've cobbled this together for you, its a map from Cuckoo Rd to Old Square. I've had to do it in two half's so I could make it legible. If you still have trouble then download it and it should stand enlarging a little before it goes out of focus.

Cuckoo Rd is in the top right hand corner of Map 2 and Old Square is in the bottom left hand corner of Map 1.

Phil
Make Love Not War

vauxonion

« Reply #2307 on: April 03, 2012, 09:23:07 PM »
Don,t know if this is relevant but originally the Tram and Trolley bus services were one way from Nechells Green up Thimble Mill Lane down Long Acre along Cuckoo Rd and up Nechells Park Rd.

pudding

« Reply #2308 on: April 04, 2012, 05:18:44 PM »
Hi All

Nechelite glad to see you posting on this thread. After looking in for so long, your project is of interest to me and no doubt to other members aswell, it's a shame you can't share the outcome with us. As for a map or streets plan of the number 43 bus route from Nechells to the Old Square would be a very large file (jpeg) as our Moderator Phil has explained to you in his post.

Quackers (Keith) you lived more or less on my old doorstep in old Nechells, I can remember Les and Beryl Green and their son Malcolm, he went to our old school but was two or three years below me. My family had the papers and my comics from there, Keith you mention a lad named Barry Storer, did he have a brother named David? As for the Storers I knew, I think they lived in Austin Street. As for the teachers you mention, I do remember Mr Duggan, Mr Piggot and Miss Parry as for the other two teachers I can not recall them.

Phil, I've been scouting for photos again and I have found this one, not sure if you have seen it before? It is a picture of the interior of St James' church on Barrack Street as you know, I've never seen the bombed ruins yet alone the inside! My grandparents were married there in 1928, so the photo has a personal touch to me.

Dek the tram route that you are referring to was it the horse drawn trams or steam trams? because when I was a child I was told that there was once a tram depot in Butlin St, I can only remember it as a road repair depot 

pudding

Where there is a will there is a way

planetmalc

« Reply #2309 on: April 04, 2012, 05:24:11 PM »
Thanks for that, Dek.    I have no local knowledge of any of this and got all my info out of a bus book.     I don't know where the #43 bus route used to run, and don't know how I'd find out, either.      It's sure to be traceable on a modern free bus map of the type that TWM publish, but the modern route might be different to the route in Nechellite's youth.
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.