Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1745162 times)

pudding

Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #2321 on: April 08, 2012, 12:24:24 PM »
I lived in Somerset Street from 1957 to 1966  it was a cul-de-sac, there were just 2 back to back houses by the hostel we lived at 1/20 there was a builders yard facing our houses. Our house only had one room down stairs and 2 bedrooms plus a attic.I went to St Annes school in devon street.

Hi Ann Scully,wellcome to the forum do you have any knowledge if this photograph is any where near your house when you lived down there? as the only part I can recall is the pub at one end (Cato st) and the outdoor on the other end of somerset street (Devon st)

pudding
Where there is a will there is a way

ann scully

« Reply #2322 on: April 08, 2012, 03:11:49 PM »

Hi Ann Scully,wellcome to the forum do you have any knowledge if this photograph is any where near your house when you lived down there? as the only part I can recall is the pub at one end (Cato st) and the outdoor on the other end of somerset street (Devon st)

pudding

Do you think that it could be the hostel being demolished at the bottom of somerset street which is where we lived. if it is then the house you can see could well be the one which we lived at the back of. could do with  finding a picture of the gas hostel.

pudding

Gill

« Reply #2323 on: April 08, 2012, 04:12:15 PM »
Hi Everyone
I'm new to this forum and really enjoyed looking at these pics of Nechells.  My mum came from Claverdon St, long gone now, righty by the library.  I still live close by and would love to see any photos of Alum Rock anyone might have.
Gill

Lumpy

« Reply #2324 on: April 08, 2012, 05:19:05 PM »
Hello Ann,
I was born in 1957. Was born in Melvina Road then moved to Little Hall Road. I also went to St. Annes.  The photos that have been posted on here are not as I remember the school.  Do you remember we had to go out of the school gate into the annex next door at lunch time?  Also do you remember Mr. Brandreth?  We had hymn practise every friday morning with him!  I also remember classes going to a sports field and when they returned to school we would line up at the gate to welcome them back into school, chanting 'who won? who won? who won?!'
Would love to hear from someone who had the same memory as me.
Elaine

Steve

« Reply #2325 on: April 09, 2012, 01:55:43 PM »

pudding
I lived at 1/4 Devon St. I think the demolished building is /was possibly the Railway hostel
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

pudding

« Reply #2326 on: April 10, 2012, 12:11:05 PM »
Hi Steve,
I have been going through some older post on this tread, I came across a statement written by a retired railway worker, he mentioned there was a railway hostel in Devon st/Somerset st, the name of the building was called Somerset House? I am not sure if this was the official address of the building? as I only have a reference in the 1967 Kelly's directory stating there as an outdoor at number 24 Somerset st

Hi Ann,
I have came across this street plan of Devon st/Somerset st I think the house you must have lived in is mark in blue? and the hostel is mark in green

pudding
Where there is a will there is a way

Steve

« Reply #2327 on: April 10, 2012, 02:46:54 PM »
Hi Pud, I remember the Hostel well as I was friends with a guy who used it. The smaller green bit would be the main hostel. There was a wide doorway with steps going up into a foyer, I think that is the arched opening in the photo.
On the opposite side was a long Nissen type hut which was divided into roofless cubicles each containing a single iron bed, tick mattress, pillow and a couple of blankets.
 My pal was made to sleep in there due to his stentorian snoring.
Maybe Ann can clarify this.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Val

« Reply #2328 on: April 10, 2012, 08:27:18 PM »
Hi  Mike:
I did get your e-mail and with all the good intentions that I have, promptly misplaced it.  It's somewhere in my tip of a house.  The slides are from 1962, one actually has a print date stamped on the bottom.  I'd like to get them to you. - Val

nechellite

« Reply #2329 on: April 11, 2012, 11:35:33 AM »
 Hi Planetmalc
Your post #2319
Thanks for shedding further light on my memories of trams in Nechells…or perhaps I should say further confusion.
 I was born in 1947 and lived in Nechells until 1969 and the illuminated vehicle I was taken to see was definitely a form of public transport. My memory is that it was the last tram but your information disproves this. I don’t remember trolley buses on the 43 route but I do remember them in centre of town. Could the illuminated vehicle have been something to do with the Coronation in 1953 I wonder? It was, without doubt, on the corner of Nechells Park Road and Trevor Street that I saw it.
Please tell me that I am correct in remembering the trams on the Litchfield Road in the early 1950’s otherwise I will definitely have to book an appointment with my GP!

planetmalc

« Reply #2330 on: April 11, 2012, 05:21:16 PM »
Hi Planetmalc
Your post #2319
Thanks for shedding further light on my memories of trams in Nechells…or perhaps I should say further confusion.
 I was born in 1947 and lived in Nechells until 1969 and the illuminated vehicle I was taken to see was definitely a form of public transport. My memory is that it was the last tram but your information disproves this. I don’t remember trolley buses on the 43 route but I do remember them in centre of town. Could the illuminated vehicle have been something to do with the Coronation in 1953 I wonder? It was, without doubt, on the corner of Nechells Park Road and Trevor Street that I saw it.
Please tell me that I am correct in remembering the trams on the Litchfield Road in the early 1950’s otherwise I will definitely have to book an appointment with my GP!

Well, you're dead right about the trams in Lichfield Road; in fact, that was the last tram route to survive until they all went in 1953.    It sounds like you might have journeyed on the ones that branched off at Salford Bridge and went up Slade Road.     No GP required, then!

Given Brum's tendency to celebrate Coronations with illuminated trams, it seems unthinkable that they wouldn't have had some kind of illuminated vehicle running in June 1953.     This was almost the same time that the tram system was abandoned though, so maybe it would have been an upheaval too far and they decided to go with an illuminated bus instead.     This would have been outside the scope of the tram-only book that I got the info about the illuminated trams from.

The Nechells trolleybuses ended in 1940, but the ones in town lasted into 1951, so you were just about born in time to see them.   O0
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

planetmalc

« Reply #2331 on: April 11, 2012, 05:42:04 PM »
Put this on theV&D thread (could be Bordesley)Dek

Dek, I think your signal-box photo (post #2321) shows the Grand Junction box, which was situated on the viaduct just east of Lawley Street and south of Landor Street.   The Wright's Rope works would have been on the north side of Garrison Street.
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy