Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1744887 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #2409 on: June 26, 2012, 08:34:47 PM »
John

I would think the second photo is after the houses were demolished.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

John M

« Reply #2410 on: June 26, 2012, 08:38:10 PM »
Steve,
Did you ever meet Albert Grimshaw in the Woodman? It was his second home (or was it his first?)
The paper mills? Smith Stone & Knight?
My Mum and Dad met working there.
--------------------------
Phil,
Thanks, I thought so.

John M

« Reply #2411 on: June 26, 2012, 09:31:37 PM »
Steve this is one showing the Train at a different angle when Gt Francis St was all the way down to Saltley Rd the pub in the distance is the Junction and this is the monstrosity  that replaced it, formally the Rocket. Dek

The Rocket... ahem... got kicked out of there one early evening.... in fairness to me I was 18.. I just had my Duddeston school blazer on at the time (I was still in the 6th form).

Also... the Duddeston School bus on the way to games one afternoon... Mr Morgan was missing... the whole bus started chanting "Morgan's in the Rocket.." clap clap clap "Morgan's in the Rocket..."

A beautiful moment.

Steve

« Reply #2412 on: June 27, 2012, 10:58:48 AM »
John M, I never got to know anyone in the Woodman, I only nipped in for a quick one. It was Smith Stone and Knights where I worked on shifts. I had to smile when Phil daid "Posh end" as the River Rea used as a sewer ran back of the papermill. I lived in Devon St then, but Malvern Hill Rd previously, and Nechells Park Rd before that, next to the chippy Corner of Crompton rd.
 I remember the Rocket, the beer was all keg and tasted like the proverbial.

I had a math teacher at Eliot St school was called Morgan. (I left 1960) He was short with a tash and a temper. He unjustly gave one of the girls a too hard slap up the ear and big Johnny Pickett knocked him out with a terrific right hook.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

sandra rimell

« Reply #2413 on: July 02, 2012, 05:18:54 PM »
I remember that teacher at Elliot Street School - nasty piece of work.  Glad someone floored him.
The pubs in the Nechells area remind me of my old dad, he was the Licensee of the Soldiers Return.  He use to take me for a "walk" which consisted of visiting the pubs in the area to see what trade was like.  I was left outside the pubs with a packet of Walkers crisps with the little blue packet of salt, while he went in for a swift half a pint. I told not to tell my mom where we had been,  of course she always got to know as someone had seen us.

Steve

« Reply #2414 on: July 02, 2012, 05:26:50 PM »
Hi Sandra, and Welcome to the Forum O0
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

vauxonion

« Reply #2415 on: July 02, 2012, 07:43:49 PM »
Hello Sandra welcome I remember the Soldiers Return although I never used it.The crisps with the little salt packets were "Smiths Crisps"walkers never came on the scene till later. Dek

Hilly48

« Reply #2416 on: July 08, 2012, 11:38:13 PM »
Bigalfats,

A few more photos of Lupin St that you may recognise. There is one of a back court dated 1960. I don't remember where it was, perhaps you might. Two of the street itself taken 12 months apart in 1895 & 1896. I definitely do not remember them.

One of the corner junction with Bloomsbury St taken in 1952 ans finally one of the scrap yard on the corner of Francis St I think it was.

Phil

Hilly48

« Reply #2417 on: July 08, 2012, 11:51:40 PM »

Hi I'm new to this site so I hope I'm doing this right.I have found the pictures to be overwhelming as I have just found where my family came from. 
The family name was King.My gran Emily King lived at 13 lupin street the building was a shop. She married a man called Thomas they had 5 children Thomas,Martin,Albert Violet and Mick.
I think they then moved to 1 back 12 lupin street that's what it says on my father's birth certificatemy father was Martin.I would be very grateful to enyone if they could enlighten me more.
Who ever put these's pictures on thank you SO much.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2418 on: July 09, 2012, 02:41:59 PM »
Hi Hilly

Welcome to our forum, what time frame are you talking about? As all I can find for 13 Lupin Street in the years prior to its demolition is industrial use. If you can give a date I might be able to come up with further information.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Hilly48

« Reply #2419 on: July 09, 2012, 03:03:17 PM »
Hi Phil
       Urm..my nan was called Emily Coleingshe was obviously born here 1892
Records show that in 1911 she worked as a machine minder (industry tuck machine).

She then must have married and lived at1 back 12 lupin street with her children.

In 1923 she had children 5 in total.

2 of the children were identical twins Martin & Albert they were known as the Nechelle twins.

As my family have all now passed away I only have vague memories of what dad said.

I'm sure he was a coleman!..either that or he had to rob the coleman!!!

Thanks Hilary xx

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy