Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1745534 times)

John M

Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #2442 on: July 11, 2012, 08:45:16 PM »
Talking of Mount Street... anyone remember the childrens playground down near Cuckoo Bridge that had the enormous slide on that mound in the middle?

We used to call the playground "Swingo Park" but I'm sure that's not what it was commonly called.

I loved that slide. Especially going down backwards ala "Thunderbird 2".

The biggest I ever saw.

I'd love to see a picture.

The park and mound are still there. Sadly no slide.

phil48

« Reply #2443 on: July 11, 2012, 09:03:59 PM »
hi john m
we used to call that park the spion kop spent many happy hours ,health and saftey now we used to play at the side of the cut there as well pretty scary now there was no barriers!
phil

baznkazthebrummies

« Reply #2444 on: July 12, 2012, 07:59:44 AM »
i used to play there too as a kid. me and my mate used to either walk or cycle there from saltley
COMMON SENSE IS NOT THAT COMMON

gibson

« Reply #2445 on: July 12, 2012, 01:15:37 PM »
Hi JohnM      The park at the corner of Mount Street, and Cuckoo Road, was as Phil48 stated, called "The Spion Cop"  When I played in the park, in the 1940/1950s,  we called the hill,  "The Mountain" because as a small child, trying to climb it, was like climbing a mountain, there was no slide on it in those days, I attended Eliot Street School, and we played in that park, every day, it had a few swings, a wooden see saw, and a witches hat roundabout,  there are pictures on the forum of the park.
The park across the road, corner of Mount Street/ Eliot Street, was always known as "The Old Ladies Park"  we had to behave in that park, as it had a park keeper, the park keepers house is still in the park, but I believe it is now a private dwelling.

jaykay

« Reply #2446 on: July 12, 2012, 01:39:46 PM »
Hello gibson,
Our paths must have crossed at some point we were always in spion kop every day of the school holidays (Cromwell Street),like you say it was like a mountain to us young un's, during the late 40's.

phil48

« Reply #2447 on: July 12, 2012, 01:51:40 PM »
Hi gibson
we used to use the old ladies park too on occasions it was more of a formal park so was only used by us to run around and chase each other , went past them both the other day and the old ladies park seemed well maintained for the area i wonder who looks after it now?
phill

lesg128

« Reply #2448 on: July 12, 2012, 01:56:51 PM »
Hi mikejee
Good of you to get back to me.First yes you are right this could not have been my parents shop,Devon st was long and I seem to remember St Annes school was on the right which should have been visible on the photo.
Thanks for your details on Cathcart St. From what you have found I remember the beer retailer it was an outdoor only. The shop I referred to was around about 1945. This would be the time when my brother broke his leg and I seem to recall my mother dashing over to 'Bill' the shopkeeper to use the phone.How hazy the memories become until you think back,putting the brain to work. ???
lesg128

lesg128

« Reply #2449 on: July 12, 2012, 02:25:18 PM »
Hi again mikejee.
Following on from my last post I have been looking at the map of Cathcart St. Wow there was the house I used to live in. From the crossroad with Inkerman St looking what I believe is East about 3 houses down there is a gap and I believe the next house East is where I lived No.47. There were wooden gates which closed the gap and I recall behind there was a car.At the back of that some kind of workshop,I used to climb over the rear wall and poke around.I think it was probably owned by someone who had moved during the war and never returned,it was always empty.At the back of 47 there were three houses which you got to by going round up a passage and then turn right which was the backdoor to No47 and front door to the other houses. One of these was rented by a Ronnie Bowkett lifelong pal of my brother.I am not sure but further back a bomb had blasted an area which we called 'The Bombsite'. There we played for many hours.
lesg128

Steve

« Reply #2450 on: July 12, 2012, 02:32:42 PM »
Lesg, I remember your Mum, I lived at 1/4 Devon St. until around '68/9. My Mum visited the shop almost daily to get her Woodbines etc.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

lesg128

« Reply #2451 on: July 12, 2012, 06:12:47 PM »
Hi Steve
Very pleased to meet you.So you knew my mum what a small world.
Do you remember the strong smell of paraffin in the shop and the one armed bandit which took sixpences? That machine kept the shop going.  My brother Bill Green and his wife Pat took over the shop in the last few years before it was demolished. Were you around when that happened? I mainly remember taking out the upstairs window on Devon St to get their bed in.What a struggle! I suppose your house was demolished as well. What year was that?
It is lovely to hear from someone who knew mom.
Thanks for the contact.
Lesg128

Steve

« Reply #2452 on: July 12, 2012, 06:26:20 PM »
We moved up near the Pelham, can't recall exactly when but about 69ish. Demolished soon after.
  There is a photo of the shop on this thread, type Devon St into the search box top right of this page.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy