Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1745496 times)

fluteplayeruk

Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #2464 on: July 19, 2012, 11:35:39 AM »
Hi Phil. I have just joined. Got to you via an old schoolfriend Janet Holmes(Nee Kimberley), whom I sat next to in St Joseph's School Long Acre/Thimble Mill lane. My parents owned a hardware shop which they bought from my Mother's widowed Aunt; in Bloomsbury street. we were there for the Coronation in '53. Shortly after that the property was served with a Compulsory Purchase Order by the council and we were offered new premises at Revesby Walk, which Mom and Dad declined owing to the gargantuan increase in rent !!  We then moved to Kings Heath. The days in Nechells were most significant for me. The interspersing of two aromas first thing in the morning. The gasometers of Saltly and Duddeston Mill, vie-ing with the Hops and Malt from Ansells Brewery at Aston Cross - what could be healthier than that then? Summer evening playschool at Loxton Street School or a stroll to the Rock Cinema at Alum Rock or the Ashtead in Ashtead Row. Then a bit of Trainspotting:-  left at the Turks Head, past the Library on the corner of Lingard Street, across the bombed site  to the Railway line running through Saltly

Kind regards Tony

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2465 on: July 19, 2012, 12:17:20 PM »
Hi Tony

Welcome to you, are you sure you have got your dates right as I was only saying just recently to another member of this forum who's road was partly taken up by Revsby Walk that it opened about 1962. Have you seen it lately? When it first opened they were queueing up for shops now about 75% of them are empty.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2466 on: July 19, 2012, 12:27:16 PM »
Tony

If you follow this link and click on any of the early links posted there it will take you direct to the photo it describes. On the later ones you will have to find them yourself by the post number given.

If you need any questions answered then just post them here. I will read them eventually and get back to you as soon as I can if I have an answer, or I'm sure one of our other very knowledgeable posters might be able to help you.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

fluteplayeruk

« Reply #2467 on: July 19, 2012, 01:04:19 PM »
Just seen the photo of the Brewery Tavern on the corner of Bloomsbury street and Cranbury Street. I was friends with the son of the owners - Freddie Hart? with his Mom and Grandmother.   At No 8 Cranbury street lived the Bevans. There son was Donald Bevan who, after National Service in the RAF became quite a big noise in the Magic Circle. I went to their house in'52, aged 9 for a Christmas evening - got drunk on Sherry !! and was introduced to "Be-Bop" (Charlie Parker and Dizzie Gillespie) - must have had an effect because I've been a pro musician all my working life - and still like sherry but am rather more fond of other alcoholic derivitives

fluteplayeruk

« Reply #2468 on: July 19, 2012, 01:13:04 PM »
Phil, the photos are great - how do I locate the ones that only have the post no. like "739 Turks Head" ? - Thank you - Tony

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2469 on: July 19, 2012, 01:22:36 PM »
Tony

Under the title of each post there is a reply number, you will have to find that number manually by searching through the thread I'm afraid those photos were too far back in the thread to alter to the direct link method that I adopted later. Which reminds me I am going to have to update the thread soon.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tony armstrong

« Reply #2470 on: July 30, 2012, 02:32:17 PM »
hi tom o'toole nice to see a familiar name from the old end i went to school with dennis and our yard over the road from your back garden gate in francis st , you would probably remember my brother derek and sister pat,send my regards to dennis and i will see you at the community centre soon,i now live in walsall. O0                                                                                                             
                                      tony

pudding

« Reply #2471 on: July 31, 2012, 10:25:30 AM »
Hi Phil,and All
been having a look through my photo files and found these pic of old Ramsey road a before demolition and during not sure of the year? I think it was about 1995/7.The photographer would have had his/her back to the back of the Church in Long Acre.

Where there is a will there is a way

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2472 on: July 31, 2012, 10:36:12 AM »
Pudding

The annoying thing is, I can tell just by looking at them that those houses had not long been renovated. Why when they obviously knew that in the very near future they were going to be demolished?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tenfoldinaus1

ROY DENNIS RAWLINS
« Reply #2473 on: August 10, 2012, 06:51:02 AM »
Hi GUYS
I was wondering if anyone could help me ..... please
My grandfather ROY DENNIS RAWLINS used to be a timber merchant from the 1950's to 1970's at 137 wainwright street with his brother VICTOR RAWLINS, im also led to believe he owned another yard right across from the public baths on nechells ..(next to the villa tavern i think ..though not sure) I believe it was called something like ENSIGN TIMBER,
He had a partner named NELL and a daughter named DENISE...

They had a cafe at 74 Bennetts Road as well called NELLS DEN, i believe the building is still there but a shop now

This is all i know from my dad and im trying to trace my grandfather to see if anyone knew him or if he is still alive..

Kyle

Werlygig

« Reply #2474 on: August 20, 2012, 04:42:25 PM »
Hi do you have any pics of Charles Arthur Street School back in the 30/40s please? :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy