Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1744930 times)

AnnRNR

Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2008, 04:51:41 PM »
Hi Phil
I did not go drinking in any of the pubs Nechells way. I was brought up in Erdington.   My brothers name is Neil Trainor.  I have an uncle Norman Smith.  He was born 45.  I presumme he went St Annes when he was younger.  I will have to ask mom what school he went to after.  She Bloomsbury St Girls School
Ann

AnnRNR

« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2008, 05:14:52 PM »
Hi Phil
I am 44.  Dont know much about growing up in Lozells, though left in 67.  I lived at 6/100 William St.  Keep trying to pick my moms brains about her area in which she/me grew up.  I know my two eldest brothers went to Wheeler St 9 (I presume Infant/Junior).  I can rememeber going to take them school one day and they was going on a trip.  I started crying because when thay got on a coach I thought they was not coming back.  I was under 3 at the time.  I can remember going to my nans, also when I was 3  my youngest sister was due and I went to stop at my uncles.  He was in the army and based at Watchet and I had to stop at my nans overnight.  Thinking about things now I wished I had taken in more about the areas and the everyday stuff in which I lived.. I took my youngest daughter (age 11) to Avoncroft Museum of Buildings last Sunday.  We had a look at some of the old telephones they had, she did not even know how to use a dial phone or how to put the money in the slots!!! or what was the black light switches was in one of the buildings.

I like this site, found plenty of different links that will help in my family history.   I do not live in Brum anymore, left in 82 but I am hoping to take a trip down memory lane and revisit some areas.

Telstar

« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2008, 05:32:40 PM »
Hi Ann, it was me, Telstar, that sent you that last post you have responded to? Not Phil? It was in response to yours? Read it again? Where do you live now?

Aaron
The truth always prevails.....

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2008, 06:16:33 PM »
telstar

I don't remember any of the names you have quoted or your brother. In all the years I used the Hamlet, I never even stepped into the bar. In fact I'm not sure how you got in there. Was the door in the entrance passage to the lounge?

The Hamlet was the first pub I ever drank Bacardi in.  The gaffer at that time knew I was a short drinker and as I walked through the door he said to me  "here Phil try this new Rum". After a bit of a banter over it being white and what he was going to charge for it  he decided on 1/6d in the end making it the cheapesr drink in the house (spirits). Not knowing what mixer to have with it, I drank it straight. It was awful, I never tried again for a couple of years. When I was in the Crown in town the girl I was with asked for a Bacardi & Coke and I had a little taste and I was hooked. Until I got onto the malts later in life.

I never used many bars at all in  pubs I always seemed to prefer smoke rooms and lounge's, I don't think I ever stepped into the bar in the Adelaide either.

Here are a couple of photo's that I took this week when I was down Nechells way.

The first one is what they have put in place of the Hamlet.
The second one is looking down Erskine St
The last one is the Midland.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Greenie

« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2008, 07:37:49 PM »
Dear Ann Telstar and Phil47
What a trip down memory lane I thoroghly enjoyed looking at all those photos.   It is really weird driving around the area now so much has gone.    I was born in the new flats that were thrown up and eventually pulled down around the Henage Street/SImons Road area.   Although the area was considered "rough" it was one of the happiest childhoods anyone could wish for! 

Mind you, when I think back of how we used to play with peashooters and make bows and arrows and pick up metal staples from the entrances of the enless rows of  factories and tip the arrows!   The political correctness today would go into overdrive!   
The only thing that is left is a hill that was behind the flats, which you can still see if you drive along Nechells Parkway, and it looks so small in comparison to the one we all went sledging down when it snowed.

We used to play on the bomb pecks too, which there were a fair few of.    I think the one was called Holbrooks and there was a factory there which eventually became some sort of cash and carry.     Most of the back to backs that stretched down to Francis St and what is now Nechells Park way were still all there, and like in the other posts, there was a wonderful shop run by George and Amy, who always let you have a pick from the penny tray.   There was also a coal yard there, which eventually burnt down (!).    The Nat. Tst. Sweetshop does not compare.

Another memory is walking up Heneage Street to Woodcock Street Swimming Baths and the smell from the Ansells Brewery, which I always used to think was bread pudding!

I cannot believe how you Phil47 and Telstar can remember so much detail.    By the way, the only lollipop man I remember at St. V's was an old guy that wore glasses with milk bottle bottom lenses, so the looker must have moved on by that time!   

Keep the photos coming.  .   In the meantime, love the posts!     

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2008, 10:49:25 AM »
Hi Greenie

I have said welcome to so many new members of late, I can't remember if I have done so to you yet. If I have not forgive me, and please accept my welcome.

When I first moved to Nechells, we moved to Francis St, I remember your flats being built, and used to play on the building site. Later I had at least one mate who lived in them and I think two or maybe three girlfriends over the years. Which block did you live in.

I remember the shops in Kellet Grove, because I used to pop in there most mornings to get a packet of cig's on the way to work on Newtown Row.

Heres a couple of pic's to freshen up your memories.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

gibson

« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2008, 01:58:44 PM »
Hi Telstar, thanks for your reply, I remember your sister in law Lesley very well from GKN, she was my sister Margarets friend, Margaret was secretary to the managing director at GKN, and I myself was supervisor in the packing department.    Yes you are right in saying that Aston Church Road is a long road, it starts at Nechells Park Road, and ends at Washwood Heath Road, Nechells swimming baths, are on the corner of Aston Church Road, and Nechells Park Road, still there, but sadly no longer a swimming baths, I lived in Aston Church Road, just below the baths.

gibson

« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2008, 02:15:04 PM »
Hi Telstar, Yes the Adderley Arms inn is still there, corner of Ash Road, and Adderley Road, commenly known as the 3AS, That and the Olive Branch Pub, around the corner in Adderley Road, were my late fathers locals, along with the gas house, in Crawford Street, which he popped into, after finishing his shift at Saltley Gas Works, lots has been written about the pubs in Nechells, but I havent seen a mention of The Albion Vaults, corner of Nechells Place, and Cato Street, also the Villa Tavern in Nechells Park Road, corner of Holborn Hill, which is still there to this day. ;)

Greenie

« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2008, 11:43:59 AM »
Dear Phil47 Loved the pics of the slide - did not realise it was there so long ago!   What a death trap that was!    I recall someone falling off the long bit and cracking their head open.    It is amaing to look back and think that these things were concrete, with concrete underneath!    The same slide was by some flats diagonally opposite the Yenton in Erdington for years!

My block of flats was called Strensham House on Simons Road.    They were like Prisonser Cell block H with long landings,  where everyones front door lead off, and they were two storey flats.    If anyone did DIY in the far corner on the ground floor, you would hear it on the top floor.   They were dreadful places and I remember years later before they were eventually knocked down, residents on the local tea time news complaining about the damp and mildew which had been a problem since they were built.   

Still besides all that, we all had happy times there.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2008, 12:26:27 PM »
Hi Greenie

Sorry I took so long to answer, but I've had a few problems. I heard of quite a few people coming a cropper off that slide on to the hard standing. If it were still there now it would be surrounded by that safety flooring gear, you know that rubberised stuff. Kids were much hardier in those days and a little thing like a bumped head or a cut knee only stopped play momentarily.

Here's a shot of the shops in Kellett Rd Grove that I mentioned in my last post, where I used to get my cig's on the way to work. You should remember them as they were quite close to you.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2008, 09:30:15 AM »
Three more shots of Nechells, if you are in my age group you will remember these places before these photo's were taken, it was a different world, There are two of Nechells Parkway and one of the junction of Little Hall Rd and Duddeston Manor Rd.

The one photo shows St Mathews Church.  It sounds strange but I was brought up as a catholic and attended St Vincents School & Church. I am unable to remember the name of one catholic priest. I do however remember Cannon Thomas the vicar of St Mathews. He was such a well liked local figure who made it his duty in life to call round all the local pubs collecting donations.

He would of course accept a half pint of beer at each pub, just to be socialable. He was often too sociable and would forget where he had parked his bike, but for all his foibles he was a thoroughly likable man and he got on with all sections of the community.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy