Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1745069 times)

CJD

Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #3718 on: October 03, 2017, 12:19:26 PM »
He still thinks he is Johnny Dixon when he plays with his grandchildren! Johnny Dixon was his idol, I've got a good photo of my old man being awarded with a football trophy by JD.

Whitty

« Reply #3719 on: October 03, 2017, 12:36:31 PM »
Johnny Dixon , was a lovely man in his later years
When asked by junior football clubs to present trophys
He would never turn you down saying the kids have
Never heard of me but l will do it  O0
If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours.

Foxy52

« Reply #3720 on: October 19, 2017, 07:48:43 PM »
Hi Quackers I attended Elliot Street junior & senior school 1962 - 1968 l remember these  teachers Miss Parry,Miss Wakelin,Mr Price,Mr Evans,Mr Piggot & the great Mr Duggan (feared & respected by all)
I seem to recall a Barry Storer & l was in the same class as Lloyd Blackwood who I guess was Monica’s brother
My father worked behind the bar @ the Villa Tavern & the New Inns on Nechells Park Road
We lived in Trevor Street & later on Freeman Road (off Nechells Green) we later moved onto Cotterills Lane in 64 & strangely enough bought a house in Coleview Crescent Tile Cross by the White Hart before moving to Tamworth in 95
Pupils in my class were
Peter Bakewell,Micheal Birch,Steven Davies,Tom Kinghorne,Martin Phillips,John Thorne,Cyrill Liquourish,Edmund Crigheton,Lloyd Blackwood,Margaret Jones,Carole Matthews,Elaine Cotterill,Gillian Taylor
I have fond memories of my time there & I also remember Mount Street Park & playing football to all hours in the Old Ladies Park as we knew it
Happy Days
Btw my name is Tony Fox always know as Foxy
I also had brothers George & Ray who also went to the same schools
Be interested to hear from anyone who remembers me

shirleymay

« Reply #3721 on: December 09, 2017, 06:15:05 PM »
Hi Steve,  Just reading old messages. You went to Elliot St. so did my brother Billy Skinner. Johnny Pickett, did he live in Johnson St? If so it was opposite our house. The Woodman, or dad & mom went there for their Friday night drink.

Shirley

Steve

« Reply #3722 on: December 09, 2017, 06:20:05 PM »
Hi Shirley, I never knew where John Pickett lived but he was the only Pickett I know of.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

lacy

« Reply #3723 on: December 11, 2017, 11:21:08 PM »
would anyone remember a dorren and susen lloyed also jennifer johnson we all lived in st james street  ffrom 1946 till1959 i went to winsor street school and on to bloomsbury street school when i think back they were good times my name was pamela freeman also there was a arthur stonehouse he lived in chickley street :D

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3724 on: December 17, 2017, 07:50:17 PM »
It's 1954 and we are looking out from the recently built South Tower across Loxton Street School at the part finished High Tower the last of the four brick & steel residental high rise flats to be built in Nechells, the only ones now to be listed. In the photo we can see Windsor Street gasworks in the distance and in the foreground is Loxton Street School and of course on the corner the White Swan pub and over the road is Andy's coaches on the corner of Lupin Street.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

YvonneA

« Reply #3725 on: March 02, 2018, 02:54:31 PM »
Hi, am new to the site and am interested in finding out about where I used to live, in Lingard Street. We lived there from about 1950 until 1953 when we moved to shard end. We lived in a yard off Lingard street opposite the entrance to a school. Have you any photos? I have one of me outside the front of the back to back we lived in but that's all.  Loved the photo of fire station.  I fell on the bombed building at the top of Lingard street when i was 5 and was taken to the fire station to be patched up.  Would they do that today I wonder.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3726 on: March 02, 2018, 03:19:20 PM »
Hi Yvonne,

Welcome to the forum, it's always a pleasure to welcome anyone to the forum, but more so when they are an old resident of Nechells. I'm pretty sure I must have posted these two photos of Lingard Street before and I know there are others scattered throughout the forum, try typing Lingard Street in the search-box and see what it brings up.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #3727 on: March 02, 2018, 05:47:02 PM »
Yvonne,you lived oppisite Bloomsbury St , school,My grand mother lived on the other side in Goodrick St,you house must have been opposite either the entrance to the Junior school or the Girls school,like you I had too go to the Fire St,and a fireman put 8 stitches in  my thigh after an accident.Iwas at the school from 44-49 when we moved up to Kitts Green,
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

John L

« Reply #3728 on: March 05, 2018, 08:13:20 PM »
I was born at 44 Chatterway Street in September 1949 and went to Eliott Street School till about 1959,
Me and my next oldest brother have lots of memories of the area and remember lots of people that lived around there.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy