Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1742613 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #3740 on: March 07, 2018, 08:52:08 PM »
Yes that's the two I remember, Why do I seem to remember that they were living in Moseley at the time? Where did your mother come from? The other thing the woman who lived in front of me that worked at Homers was Pat not Gladys I've just remembered. Is that St Matthews in the background?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3741 on: March 07, 2018, 10:35:27 PM »

and with a tad of colour

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Tracey S

« Reply #3742 on: March 08, 2018, 08:14:30 AM »
Not sure what church this was, but my mom lived in Inkerman Street with her mom and dad (Charlie and Annie Stafford). Not sure re the Moseley bit, moms family originally from Blackheath.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3743 on: March 08, 2018, 08:18:18 AM »

hi
Tracey S                  welcome to the forum I hope you did not mind me adding a tad of colour to your photo

Tracey S

« Reply #3744 on: March 08, 2018, 08:52:40 AM »
Not at all Roy, it’s lovely to see these old photos with colour...

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3745 on: March 08, 2018, 09:38:22 AM »

Not at all Roy, it’s lovely to see these old photos with colour...

if you have any more put them up on the forum and I will see what I can do with them O0

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3746 on: March 08, 2018, 12:08:36 PM »
Not sure what church this was, but my mom lived in Inkerman Street with her mom and dad (Charlie and Annie Stafford). Not sure re the Moseley bit, moms family originally from Blackheath.

It looks like St Matthews to me, was it your Christening? if your mom and dad were C of E and they lived in Nechells then it would have been St Matthews and the Christening would have been done by Reverend Thomas, who was a wondeful man and a well known character in the area. If you look back through this thread you will find some anecdotes concerning him over his years at the church.

As for Moseley, I don't know why but I connect it with your mom and dad, did they live there when first married? Mind you it's been a long time ago now.perhaps I'm getting them mixed up with someone else.

I've attached a photo of St Matthews from around that time.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

jacko1947

« Reply #3747 on: March 08, 2018, 01:09:50 PM »
Hi Ken_ Turner, yes I remember your family, also the Wickets and the Hornsbys, Mr & Mrs Hornsby used to foster children. do you recall Jim Cullinane, he lived near you,Keith Smith across from you , next to Postans Paints, Ruby Newey, Bonnie Glanville, from the shop, the Jarvis family, I could name many more, we were called Chiles, and we lived at 2/45 just up the hill past the Prince Public House [ my dads local ] my brother John used to play with Tony Penn, and Brian Wallace, and spent all their time down grassy banks [ now Taroni's ]  last time I went down there, the houses next to the tar mac were still being lived in, such happy days I spent there, from 1938 until 1953, regards.

I have a friend, who was originally for Nechells, who I spoke to last, rewmembers all the people mentioned in this posting.  Her Name is Brenda Smith, who lived in the Romany Caravans in the yard, by the side of Postans Paints.  Brenda is now 74, and now lives in South Wales.  Anyone who remembers her, can contact me, and I will pass the messages on.  She is not Computer wise.  Regards from Jacko in Brum.

Tracey S

« Reply #3748 on: March 10, 2018, 11:42:22 AM »
Phil

I have a couple of group photos that appear to be of street outings/trips taken in the 1950s (20 people or so with children at front). I believe all originating from this area. Every time I reduce them though, they lose definition. (This is using that link you sent me). Have you an email address I could send these to, perhaps you could view and see if worth putting on.  One is inside a local factory, quite clear, someone may recognise it.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3749 on: March 10, 2018, 12:25:45 PM »
Tracey

That will be fine, I suppose it's all to do with the definition of the photo, I will send you an email address by private message and you can send them to me and I'll see what I can do with them.

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Tracey S

« Reply #3750 on: March 10, 2018, 03:19:18 PM »
Does anyone recognise any of these day trippers?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy