Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1744919 times)

john2000

Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2008, 09:54:32 AM »
Phil.. it sure has changed since I was last down that way,..J2..( 1970 ), I used to go out with a girl from around there, but she had a bad habit of using me as a taxi service when ever we went to a party or to her friends house, ( I can still hear her voice. "John, just pop Mrs Smith home she only lives just down the road,", ya, it was a long road,  the other side of Birmingham,) then can you pick up so and so, ..sadly I put an end to our relationship, ( it was costing too much,) ...J2.. :-\
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2008, 10:11:15 AM »
John

The first thing I have to say, if you went to Nechells today you wouldn't recognise it from these photo's because most of those buildings have gone now as well.

The other thing is.  you don't think like I do, I would have been thinking how old is Mrs Smith and what does she look like, how friendly is she?. The right combination and it wouldn't have mattered how long the road was.

Phil ::)
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

john2000

« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2008, 10:16:16 AM »
Naa Phill, she did'nt know which was her walk frame from all the others in the hallway, ( you know the ones you fall over every time you past,, >:(..J2
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Helen

« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2008, 10:22:44 PM »
Hi everyone , I lived in Chicheley st , Vauxhall . Is there anyone familiar with that street or better still have a picture ?I live in Hampshire now but have some lovely far off vague memories . Played on the bomb sites ,and the park near to the viaduct .

Thanks , hopefully, Helen

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2008, 12:47:34 PM »
Hi Helen

Welcome to the forum to another refugee of Nechells, I just about remember Chichley St. Its a part of Vauxhall Gardens School now isn't it? I don't have any pictures of Chichley St  I'm afraid, but I have some of the surrounding area. Like St James's Church. I bet you remember the air raid shelter even if you don't remember the church. Or Great Francis St and Great Lister St and even Ashted Row or are these too early for you. What sort of time frame are we talking about.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2008, 08:22:14 PM »
 hi helen welcome to b/forum have fun and if you wona know any thing just ask some one some where will know   roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Helen

« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2008, 08:25:31 PM »
Hi Phil

I didn't know that Chicheley St was where Vauxhall Gardens is now as I have not been back there for many years . Yes I do remember the air raid shelter , I used to play there with my cousin John .What fun!! I lived in Vauxhall from 1945 until 1960 , so I don't remember the church although I have seen pictures of it . I'm not sure but I think my parents may have been married there in 1934. As I live far away in Hampshire it will be difficult to find out .

You obviously lived in Nechells , oh by the way I remember Ashted row and the cinema ,and also Great Brook St  but there are many hazy memories .Many thanks for your interest .

Helen

tramp

« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2008, 08:32:19 PM »
Helen,

Welcome to the forum.  It's good to see that you've begun to make yourself at home - that's the way, just get stuck in, and enjoy it. 

I don't know your old stamping ground as I was Balsall Heath and Sparkbrook, and I haven't lived there since very early '59 - but if anyone can find you a photo or two, it's very likely to be Phil - he has a fantastic collection.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2008, 12:17:55 PM »
Hi Helen

A couple more memories for you, the Ashted Cinema where we all queued for the Saturday fourpenny crush.

The Globe public house on the corner of Barrack St, close enough to be your dads local or did he use the Adelaide on the corner of Esrskine St.

Finally Great Lister St, where all the locals did their Saturday shop, before that word Supermarket was even thought of.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Helen

« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2008, 09:30:16 PM »
Hi Phil

Thanks for the great pictures and wonderful memories . Do you know this is the first time I have seen the Ashted row cinema and GT Lister st for many years . I did go to the Ashted cinema , but also to the Gaiety .
As for the pubs , well my Dad was a keen darts team player so he would probably have been to the Globe and many others besides .I remember my Brother and I sometimes went with mom and Dad when he played in a match and we always had a bottle of pop and a packet of crisps . I've got a few pictures of him at the darts matches .

My dad served with the Coldstream Guards for 16 yrs , was at Dunkirk and many yrs later was invited to be a Chelsea pensioner . One of the reasons he declined was because he didn't want to leave Brum .

I left Brum many years ago  .First to Redditch , then to Somerset and lastly on to Hampshire . This is probably why my memories are somewhat vague.

Thanks again  ,  Helen

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2008, 07:14:14 PM »
Helen

The Gaiety , we are talking posh. I would have cost an extra few bob to get all our mob of a family in there. We made do with the Ashted and occasionaly the Rock, but that wasn't very often.

I think the first time I ever used the Gaiety was to see Bonnie & Clyde, and I took my current young lady. I suppose that would be about 1962-63.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy