Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1745035 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #66 on: December 12, 2008, 10:50:55 AM »
Hi Albert

Its a sad fact that the whole world is changing, and its only us "old uns" that are being left behind. If you was in Saltley in 63 you might have know a mate of mine who operated from there I think.

His name was Billy Boucher and he was a fireman, he would have been about 17 then. I know we were all jealous of him, not because of his job, but because of the money he earned. Most of us were on about £5.00. a week, he earned at least double that.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2008, 10:55:23 AM »
Phil47
You never cease to amaze me. how old are the pics of the winning post and midland, pubs.

Nathan

The one of the Midland was taken last month, The Winning Post I'm not sure about but I don't think it was long before it closed down.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2008, 11:44:28 AM »
Albert

About being born in Smethwick, its not your fault and none of us can be blamed for where we are born ;) and when it comes to football you are talking to the wrong bloke. To be honest I haven't a clue. What's a Baggie & Whats a Blue? To me such things come at the end of a very long list.

If you spent some of your working life at Hockley Goods yard then these photo's should be familiar to you. Sorry about the quality.

Phil.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

21ASaltley

« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2008, 03:12:35 PM »
Phil,
Hockley reborn!Cheers for the photographs.The bottom one is passing what was known as The Round Yard.I did a few months working in there.About four of us nippers used to hurl ingots of pig iron from the wagons on to flat trailers.We had muscles on our muscles.
I well remember Billy Boucher at Saltley,yes.There were several cleaners/firemen from the local area.I have a list of them all somewhere,from drivers who were born in 1902,up to the seventies.It  makes me think,having fired to blokes born 106 years ago!I must be "gerrinonabit" :)
See you soon.Albert.

gibson

« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2008, 05:33:44 PM »
Hi Ken_ Turner, yes I remember your family, also the Wickets and the Hornsbys, Mr & Mrs Hornsby used to foster children. do you recall Jim Cullinane, he lived near you,Keith Smith across from you , next to Postans Paints, Ruby Newey, Bonnie Glanville, from the shop, the Jarvis family, I could name many more, we were called Chiles, and we lived at 2/45 just up the hill past the Prince Public House [ my dads local ] my brother John used to play with Tony Penn, and Brian Wallace, and spent all their time down grassy banks [ now Taroni's ]  last time I went down there, the houses next to the tar mac were still being lived in, such happy days I spent there, from 1938 until 1953, regards.

nathan

« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2008, 08:26:34 PM »
"24th of sep 08 i photographed the midland , then post them on pubs galore. out of curiostiy are you a villian (villa Fan)

nathan

« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2008, 08:45:50 PM »
21A Saltey
Do the names, John O'Neil, Bill Wellings, Gery Saterwieght, Ring any bells.
and have you read firing days at saltley by terry essery

21ASaltley

« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2008, 11:24:35 PM »
Hello Nathan,I probably need a clue to confirm John O`Neil,but Gerry Satterthwaite is a real blast from the past :).He was a fireman at Saltley,senior to myself,and came with quite a lot of blokes from Northern depots.I have found him on a list I have.He came from Barrow Depot in 1962 with Alfie Rucastle.There was quite an influx at that time.A lot of the lads were housed in the Railway Lodge up the MIll,as I feel you will know.Bill Wellings... I remember a Joe Wellings who was a fitter at the shed.There were a few local lads at the shed who started around my time .Billy Creswell and Billy Jones,both from Vauxhall.Also Peter Burns from Erskine Street,his family were from Belfast I think.I have read firing days by Tery Essery,yes.If you have an interest in Saltley,there is a website that I go on,and has two threads on Saltley tales.Hope I am allowed to mention it.www.railchat.co.uk.You will have to join to read the posts.Lots of links to railways on there.Thanks for the contact,Nathan.

Telstar

« Reply #74 on: December 14, 2008, 06:54:46 AM »
Hi Saltley, up early....? Thinking about the good oul days, eh! They'd be well fired at this time a day.....

Going anywhere near Vauxhall & Duddeston....?

I'd like to get home if I can! ....    It's a lovely morning! .......  Looking forward to Christmas ?.......

Me too! ......      Throw us a brecky on the shovel if you've enough !........     O0

The truth always prevails.....

21ASaltley

« Reply #75 on: December 14, 2008, 07:35:17 AM »
Hello telstar,brecky on the shovel might confuse one or two folk on these forums ;)I toasted a cheese butty or three with it spiked on the coal hammer,mini seconds each side of course!Also when the loco is  standing,otherwise it would fly up the chimney....

Christmas is for the grand children,the little sunbeams :) :)

Another website,cotaining railways and lots of Birmingham photographs:

http://www.photobydjnorton.com/index.html

Telstar

« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2008, 08:00:20 AM »
Thanks for the brecky, dear Saltley, a very good morning to you........ 

I've a bottle of stout in me pocket, a wondering what it should do .......

I've one on the floor beside me and somehow one in my shoe ........

And I never forget a kindness so I'll drink to the kindness of you!......   ;D 

The truth always prevails.....

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy