Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1744953 times)

Whitty

Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #3894 on: April 02, 2019, 01:06:27 PM »
Is that Mrs Fosters down by the Library ( f  Peas  )
Maybe you can check it out but I thought By Lister St
Ended at Bloomsbury St your pic showing the Library
 is where Mrs Fosters (f peas ) was
If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3895 on: April 02, 2019, 02:13:44 PM »
Whitty

The one I used to go to was right up the other end up by Henry Street, sorry I have no idea of the name now, but it would have been around the late 50's early 60's.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Whitty

« Reply #3896 on: April 02, 2019, 03:59:00 PM »
 O0 Phill,

d-tov

« Reply #3897 on: May 17, 2019, 03:12:27 PM »
Hi Phil Mike and all

to continue my list when I was doing the C's I missed one off which was The Clock Tavern Ashted Row my apology and delay

51  The Old Green Man                                                                  Dartmouth St/Richard St

52  The Oliver Cromwell (60's built)                                                  Oliver St

53  The Plough and Harrow                                                            Bloomsbury St

54  The Prince of Wales                                                                Long Acre/Thimble Mill Lane

55  The Prince of Wales                                                                Aston Church Rd/Mount Street

56  The prince Rupert                                                                   Rockey Lane/Walter St

57  The Railway                                                                           Gt Francis St

58  The Red Lion                                                                         High Park St/Thimble Mill Lane

59  The Rolling Mill                                                                       ?Thimble Mill Lane

60  The Royal Duke                                                                      Cromwell St

61  The Royal Exchange                                                                Long Acre

62  The Rising Sun                                                                       Heneage St

63  The Royal Oak                                                                       Ashted Row

64  The Raven                                                                           Gt Lister St/Dartmouth St

65  The Rocket (60's built)                                                            Vauxhall Rd

66 The Rupert Arms                                                                     Rupert St/Oliver St 

67  The Station                                                                           Saltley Rd/Goodrick St

68  The Stork                                                                              Freeman Rd

69  The Swan                                                                             Bloomsbury St

70  The Swan with Two Necks                                                       Lawley St/Gt Brook St

71  The Sportsman                                                                      Saltley Rd

72  The Scotch Terrier                                                                  Bloomsbury St

73  The Solders Return                                                                 Nechell's Park Rd

74  The Turks Head                                                                      Bloomsbury St

75  The Tom Thumb                                                                      ? ?

76  The Unicorn                                                                           Bloomsbury St

77  The Victoria                                                                           Dudderston Mill Rd

78  The Villa Tavern                                                                     Nechell's Park Rd

79  The Vine                                                                                 Nechell's Park Rd/Trevor St

80  The Viaduct                                                                           Lawley St

81  The Warwick Castle                                                                Saltley Rd

82  The White Heart                                                                     Cromwell St

83  The White Heart                                                                     Nechell's Park Rd/Railway Terrace

84  The White Horse                                                                     Long Acre/Holborne Hill

85  The White Swan                                                                     Bloomsbury St

86  The White Swan                                                                     Nechell's Park Rd/ Cheatham St

87  The White Tower                                                                    Lawley St/Vauxhall Rd

88  The Foaming Tankard                                                              Bloomsbury St

89  The Why Not                                                                         Oliver St

90  The Woodman                                                                        Cattells Grove/Johnson Street

Finally the list I have got is finally over if any one can think of any that I have missed out please post

pud         

I found an old coin that might be from The Why-Not Inn on Oliver St. If anyone could shed some info on this that would be awesome!
It also says 1, 1/2 D on the back.

Cheers,
D

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3898 on: May 17, 2019, 06:42:24 PM »
Hi d-tov

Welcome to the forum, as the pub token you have names "The Why Not Inn Bloomsbury" and Bloomsbury was what that part of Nechells was called then I think there is little doubt that you are on the right track. Pub tokens were given out by Landlords for various reasons and could only be redeemed at the pub named on the token.

What in particular did you want to know, if I can't sort out the information you are looking for, I'm pretty sure that one of the other posters should be able to help.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mikejee

« Reply #3899 on: May 17, 2019, 11:38:57 PM »
This seems to be a not-uncommon name. there were ones in Moseley St, Sparkhill, Handsworth, Cherrywood Road, Smallheath, Smallbrook St, Dudley, Wolverhampton, Oldbury and Smethwick. but the Bloomsbury one was apparently in Oliver St, at least it is mwntioned in the newspapers in 1865 and 1869. Might have been no 15 , which was a beer retailer in 1871

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3900 on: May 18, 2019, 10:52:18 AM »
Mike,

I looked through the trade directories and I couldn't find any mention of this pub by name. Perhaps as you suspect it was a beer house only and therefore never listed by name in the directories. Perhaps "Pudding" who looks in from time to time might have more idea where it was located as he has it on his list of pubs that was quoted at the start of this line of enquiry.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

MALCOLM G

« Reply #3901 on: June 06, 2019, 03:33:11 PM »
HELLO  DOE`S ANYBODY HAVE ANY PHOTO`S OF ADELAIDE TERRACE OFF ERSKINE STREET IN 40`s 50`AND IF ANY NAMES OR PHOTO`S OF ANYONE LIVING THERE  I HOPE I COULD FIND MY GRANDAD HOUSE THE JACKSONS

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3902 on: June 06, 2019, 04:09:06 PM »
Hi Malcolm

Welcome to the forum, sorry I have never seen a photo of Adelaide Terrace, but I do remember it next to St Vincent's School. The school eventually took over the whole area where the terrace was as a playground, but while I was a pupil there the only part of the terrace that was left backed onto the railway arches.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Whitty

« Reply #3903 on: June 06, 2019, 04:24:28 PM »
The first house was my Gran Humpages the second was her sister aunt Gert
The third was a Mrs Judge her Daughter Irene & Tom Hession
The first 3 died late 59 /60s
I remember a family with children moved in 3rd /4th house with  young kids
I would think in about 1956 but can't recall the name

My elder sisters have now passed that may have had more information
On the Jackson family

Whitty

« Reply #3904 on: June 06, 2019, 04:43:21 PM »
Phil , there s no arches behind the houses they backed straight onto rail line
The height of the bridge no embankment the arches started the other side by the school
As you say running through to Lawley St . Beinng the Co -op dairy Horse stables

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy