Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1745297 times)

lacy

Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #3916 on: October 29, 2019, 10:00:19 PM »
would any one have a photo of st james street I lived across the street from the of licence in the back houses my name was Pamela freeman and my dad was a dustman  I went to winsor street school and bloombury street school I had a paper round the shop was in gt lister street I would like to show my children and grandchildren where I come from them

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3917 on: October 29, 2019, 10:45:30 PM »
Hi Lacy

Welcome to you, these photos are on this thread already, but 357 pages are a lot to sift through. Tough of you put St Jame St into the search box you will get plenty of interesting posts by other posters who used to live in the street.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

lacy

« Reply #3918 on: October 29, 2019, 11:11:44 PM »
thank you for the photo I used to live up the back  2/26 happy days

Whitty

« Reply #3919 on: October 30, 2019, 08:13:38 AM »
Lacy,  was that on the chip shop side I new the Kavanaghs
and also a girl Pauline ? that's the only yard that I can think of
I lived in Erskine St the other side of the bridge
If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours.

lacy

« Reply #3920 on: November 01, 2019, 10:17:42 PM »
I lived in the  back yard of the opening in the photo not the side of the chip shop I new a Pauline loyde she lived in the front houses her sisterwas name dorren

Whitty

« Reply #3921 on: November 01, 2019, 11:12:46 PM »
Lacy , I was asking you if it was the same side of the chip shop
And not beside it , I think Pauline Kingston was her name
On reflection you are possibly a lot younger (1956/58 ) would be the timeline
The Karims owned the chip shop , the outdoor also owned the coal yard
in the side rd Willis St
If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours.

lacy

« Reply #3922 on: November 02, 2019, 09:43:21 PM »
not   chip shop side   we lived there from when i was born in 1946 and left in 1960 we moved to handsworthi had a lot of friends in vauxhall  i wonder if any are on the forum

townie

« Reply #3923 on: November 03, 2019, 08:58:38 PM »
Anyone know the name of the pub in photo 2?
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

ruttasd

« Reply #3924 on: December 03, 2019, 09:47:03 PM »
I hope this brings back memories

ruttasd

« Reply #3925 on: December 04, 2019, 04:05:35 PM »
Did the Vicarage belong to St Lawrence?

les may

« Reply #3926 on: December 08, 2019, 08:55:16 AM »
 I am in Devon, and a very late starter here, having only recently found this wonderful site which triggers many memories of people and places that I would love to hear more about. I lived at 106 Inkerman St 1938 (born) to1959 (married) with my father Jim who worked at Morris Commercial,Adderley Park, and with 2 elder sisters Iris and Joyce, (still with us) who both went to Bloomsbury St. My mother Emily died in about 1944. Our next door neighbours were the Browns and the Gardiners, the Gilberts lived at the back of us, Alf Gilbert had a printing business in his shed. Opposite were the Dixons, Johnny about my age and a younger sister Joyce I think.  Mark Dixon was a plumber/builder. Their house was at the entrance to Homers? yard, and had a strengthened cellar that was used as an air raid shelter, rather better than our Anderson down the garden by the Rea. His brother had the cobblers shop just down the street. We were opposite Greens the grocer. So many shops! I can recall about 10 in Inkerman St alone, even before Duddeston Mill Rd. Brian King in Alma Crescent, Roy Troughton (his father kept pigeons} and the Bowdens in Inkerman St, and Keith Brown in Duddeston Mill Rd are some of the friends that I remember. I attended St Annes and then went to Central Grammar School, losing touch with many local pals who went on to Loxton St. One of the Marsden lads was at Central.  “The Britt” was a few doors down, my father a regular customer although he used all the local pubs and a few more! Richardsons shop was nearby. Mr Richardson was a disabled war pensioner who had an adapted Morris 8. On Saturdays we could hear the roar of the crowds from St Andrews, and of course I grew up with factory hooters,railway shunting engines, horse drawn drays and the occasional steam brewery lorry. Auntie Ag (Swift) lived down the street, near to Barnards the ice cream man and the Cheshires. Joy Cheshire was a friend of my sister Joyce. At the age of  about 9 I had a few “girl friends”. Hilary Sparrow in Devon St, Barbara Shaw in Dollman St, where are you now? I married a girl from Sutton Coldfield, (she had been a Brown Fairy, remember their Christmas visits to St Annes?)  Canon Edwin Thomas married us at St Matthews, he forged the Wedding Certificate to put me living with the Rhodes family in Devon St so that we could be married in his Church! A wonderful man, I saw him last at a 211th scout troop re-union at the church. I would be thrilled if this forum prompts a few responses about my happy years in Vauxhall.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy