Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1744859 times)

dennisman

Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #3960 on: May 24, 2020, 11:32:39 PM »
my grandparents surname hooper lived in cuckoo road  . nechells .my grandfather william hooper ran a barbers shop opposite the bundy clock from about i think 1896 to 1958 . has anyone any memories of this shop or of the family ,thanks dennis hooper

maxt123

« Reply #3961 on: September 06, 2020, 09:20:44 PM »
Hi, I am Max Tysall from scotland. my dad was born at 4 dunton road in nechells, i was wondering if anyone had any photos of dunton road

regards, max

Harry Purves

« Reply #3962 on: September 10, 2020, 03:56:13 PM »
Hi Everyone.
My name is Harold Purves ( Harry ). I was brought up at 140 Dollman St. It was the last railway house on the corner of Alma Crescent cul-de-sac opposite Fellow's off license and directly opposite Bill's cafe on the other corner I lived there from about 1954 to when I joined the army as a boy soldier in 1964. My Dad worked in the Carriage and Wagon shunting sheds which was behind our yard. (What a Playground that was). Every Friday night My bro and I would push an old pushchair up the road to Mrs Allmans grocery shop on the corner of Cathcart St for the families weekly provisions and at weekends I used to work at Harry Allens greengrocers on the other corner of Alma Crescent opposite Fellows Off license. My sister and one of my brothers both worked at Tants during this period.
I have had great pleasure in reading some of the other post's from the area which brought back some fantastic memories and the photo's are wonderful, it would be great to see a photo of my old house, maybe taken from the Cafe side of Alma Crescent. If anyone still remembers our family from those days, it would be great to hear from them.

Scipio

« Reply #3963 on: September 10, 2020, 06:51:49 PM »
Hi Everyone.
My name is Harold Purves ( Harry ). I was brought up at 140 Dollman St. It was the last railway house on the corner of Alma Crescent cul-de-sac opposite Fellow's off license and directly opposite Bill's cafe on the other corner I lived there from about 1954 to when I joined the army as a boy soldier in 1964. My Dad worked in the Carriage and Wagon shunting sheds which was behind our yard. (What a Playground that was). Every Friday night My bro and I would push an old pushchair up the road to Mrs Allmans grocery shop on the corner of Cathcart St for the families weekly provisions and at weekends I used to work at Harry Allens greengrocers on the other corner of Alma Crescent opposite Fellows Off license. My sister and one of my brothers both worked at Tants during this period.
I have had great pleasure in reading some of the other post's from the area which brought back some fantastic memories and the photo's are wonderful, it would be great to see a photo of my old house, maybe taken from the Cafe side of Alma Crescent. If anyone still remembers our family from those days, it would be great to hear from them.

Welcome Harry, I hope you enjoy your time on the forum
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Harry Purves

« Reply #3964 on: September 10, 2020, 10:21:37 PM »
Thanks Scipio, I'm looking forward to making the acquaintance of other members from the Duddeston and Saltley area.
Harry.

Scipio

« Reply #3965 on: September 10, 2020, 10:24:11 PM »
No problem enjoy yourself .
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #3966 on: September 10, 2020, 11:31:26 PM »
Welcome Harry enjoy
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Harry Purves

« Reply #3967 on: September 11, 2020, 12:12:39 AM »
pudding you are putting me on the spot with this, because I think that is Dollman St running from left to right across the photo. You can just make out Tants the plastic moulding firm. They were on the left hand side of Dollman St as you walked from Duddeston Mill to Erskine St.

So in my opinion and don't forget it has been over 40 years now but the only place the photographer could have been standing was at the top end of Alma Crescent near the railway sidings.

Thats the best I can do until someone corrects me.

Harry Purves

« Reply #3968 on: September 11, 2020, 12:27:30 AM »
Hi Phil.
In regard to your reply 1872 to Pudding. I might be able to clarify that the photographer must have been near to Cathcart Street as my house was the last one on the right before Fellows Off License and between my house and Fellows was Alma Crescent cul-de-sac which ran up to the railway sidings. The car you see was right outside our front door and you can see Tants Factory further down on the left. Hope this helps.  Harry.

[email protected]

« Reply #3969 on: October 04, 2020, 06:40:29 PM »
old devonian comes from living in old devon street! still living in brum .Do you remember howard thorn and derrick holtham! from devon street?also spires paper shop in duddeston mill road,.

Hello Newbie.
Am new to this so please forgive me, (this message will probably end up in cyberspace anyway).
Am a brummy living well out of town but still get nostalgic. Well, I signed up for this and you literally jumped out at me.
Was born 4/4/Devon Street and Howard Thorne was either my dad or my eldest brother, take your pick. Must admit I got a bolt of adrenaline when I saw your post. I had 2 older sisters Jean and Chrissy, 2 older brothers Howard and Alan, mum Rose and dad Howard.
My name is Graham and I've signed up as Youngestthorne. Nice one.

Whitty

« Reply #3970 on: October 04, 2020, 06:50:36 PM »
Welcome to the group you will find us very friendly Graham

Hello Newbie.
Am new to this so please forgive me, (this message will probably end up in cyberspace anyway).
Am a brummy living well out of town but still get nostalgic. Well, I signed up for this and you literally jumped out at me.
Was born 4/4/Devon Street and Howard Thorne was either my dad or my eldest brother, take your pick. Must admit I got a bolt of adrenaline when I saw your post. I had 2 older sisters Jean and Chrissy, 2 older brothers Howard and Alan, mum Rose and dad Howard.
My name is Graham and I've signed up as Youngestthorne. Nice one.
but also very interesting enjoy looking back through the previous postings
If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy