Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1745140 times)

dawnie

Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #3993 on: March 03, 2021, 10:14:29 PM »
I haven't been on here for a long time..sorry...does anyone have any photos of the houses by the brewery on Spooner st or pictures of the houses next to the lamp factory in Belmont Row.We were the Humpage's

Whitty

« Reply #3994 on: March 03, 2021, 11:54:25 PM »
Dawn if you type what you are looking for ie
Spooner St you will find on there your house
With the rear wall of the boys home
I believe you are playing outside your home
From memory I think there is a dog as well
If not on here try Birming Forum  Nechells and Duddeston

If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours.

Sunny villa

« Reply #3995 on: March 11, 2021, 02:07:04 AM »
Hi new to this forum .

My father and law was Stan Spencer .his wife was Doreen Causier .

I believe from Devon St .

Frequented The Albion Vaults (Ropers)

I was a B8 transplant but as a callow youth frequented many a pub from the Ward End to Ropers and beyond on matchdays .

I live abroad now but filling in the gaps

It was 75 until 1995 .

Pub on the Rock left hand side going to town between the tilt and the Rock .

Cafe on the corner opposite the Gate .

Pub between the gate and the London tavern Ansells house .

The pub that's burnt down opposite Cato St North where the previous occupants of the Monkey house moved too .

And the delicatessent opposite the Rock pub on the corner just up from Shaws electrical and the famous Curry house

Tom37

« Reply #3996 on: July 15, 2021, 10:08:42 PM »
Would love info concerning the gentleman Roy Butler, please advise, kind regards

[email protected]

« Reply #3997 on: August 18, 2021, 09:19:30 PM »
Hello im brand new to this forum.  I lived in nechells park road from 1944 until 1964. My name then was Pat Taylor. My gran (and later my mother) had the second hand shop opposite the co-op. It would be good to hear from some of you.

GardenGerald

« Reply #3998 on: August 18, 2021, 10:50:52 PM »
Hello
Where was the brewery in Spooner Street. Sorry but I think you mean another street
Gerald

LeginEloop

« Reply #3999 on: August 19, 2021, 01:38:58 AM »
Hello Paddy. I lived at 48 Aston Church Rd, just up from the Prince of Wales. My Mom worked there for quite a few years. Ron Cocking was the gaffer. My Brother and two sister all went to Elliot Street Junior and Senior, however I passed the 11+ and went to Holte Grammar in Whitehead Rd, Aston. Mick and Lil Burke lived opposite us. I remember Granny Granvilles sweet shop and of course Postans Paints. Dad and Mom used to walk with us all to the manure Farm next to the Gas Works on Sundays during the Prince closing hours. Poor financially but loved abundantly and I would not change my upbringing. My Dad was a Blues fan so me and my brother grew up walking to catch the number 8 bus that took us to St Andrews. Great memories, thanks for bringing them back. I live in the USA now although my brother and sisters live in Birmingham so I do get to go back occasionally.

Biffo

« Reply #4000 on: September 17, 2021, 01:47:53 PM »
Would love info concerning the gentleman Roy Butler, please advise, kind regards

Hi Tom, Roy passed away in 1992 from cancer, he was 34 years old.

Best Regards Anthony.

GardenGerald

« Reply #4001 on: September 17, 2021, 02:34:03 PM »
Hello DawnieDo you mean the Brewery Bottle Washing company in NEWDEGATE street.
Best wishes
Gerald.

Libitina

« Reply #4002 on: January 09, 2022, 02:47:21 PM »
O.C.Reborn. The house number that I have given in my reply is based on the fact that we lived in 135 Lupin Street then as you go up towards Willis Street was our entry down to the yard for the toilets, the house next to the entry I am guessing that it was 137 only on the other sde of our house was a bombed peck two houses missing,Peter Knight lived behind that house,oh and by the way they were the first in our street to have a telly an old 9" black&white watched the 1956 Cup Final on it.They moved into the new maisonettes in Kellet Road after they had demolished Coleman Street.Also at the top of Lupin Street were two shops one on each corner looking up from my house to Coleman street Simms had a shop on the right and a Mrs Collins had the shop on the left I  used to help her in the shop after school and at weekends.
@bigalfats I’ve been researching this street as my newly wed great grandparents lived there on the 1921 census. Their address is listed as 5/134 Lupin Street. Were they divided into flats or was it likely to be just a room? I take it the area was obliterated during WW2? They’d already moved to Erdington by then though.
I found the street on an old map of the area. 

mikejee

« Reply #4003 on: January 09, 2022, 11:05:47 PM »
5/134 would be no 5 house back 134 Lupin st. It is shown on the c1950s map below in red

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy