Author Topic: Red telephone boxes  (Read 7929 times)

deebee

Red telephone boxes
« on: November 04, 2008, 08:06:03 PM »
 Who remembers the time when you had to insert coins into the box,and then press button A,or if you could not get connected,you pressed button B? and how many of you would walk by the telephone box,and press button B to see if you could get any money out,can't do that with these modern ones can you? :angel:

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: Red telephone boxes
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 08:21:26 PM »
hi deebee yep i remember it well  when we was kids we used to put paper up the return shoot and then go later to see how Meany coppers we had got we did the same to the gum /mc the ones that used to give you a free pack of gum on the Fourth penny we used to get loads of gum

then one day the post office changed them to 3p and that put pay to that scam
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

john2000

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 09:32:28 PM »
Roy.. I was slow on that, I never thought, good idea,.. O0. ha the things we did when we where young, ..J2
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

AnnRNR

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 09:35:55 PM »
Hi
I went to visit Bromsgrove Historical Buildings at Stoke Heath.  They have got a collection of old telephones.  I had my 11 year old daughter with me.  She didnt even know how a dial phone was used let alone where to put the money.  What did we all do before mobile phones !!!!! 

john2000

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 09:52:34 PM »
AnnRNR.... you properly did what we did, two coco tins with string in the middle, if the string was longer than 10 ft.... it would be a long distance call, ..J2

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 10:03:39 PM »
you can still find the red phone box's in some small villages i know of one just out side of alcester haslaw i think its called its by a small school at the crossroads and there is one or two around Henley some folk even put pictures and flowers in them
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

AnnRNR

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 10:08:16 PM »
Hi John
Thats all my parents could afford recycled tin cans.  The youth of today but saying that if I have problems working all this modern technology I ask her or her older siblings 

Black Patch

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 04:41:56 AM »
Those old 'phone boxes are listed buildings in some places so cannot be removed. I was responsible for getting the first one listed when BT wanted to replace ity with a totally inapropriate modern thing in the unspolit village we lived in at the time.
Mobile 'phones have made the boxes almost totally redundant now; perhaps their main use nowadays is for drug dealing!
Ted

john2000

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 07:15:38 AM »
Red telephone boxes are worth a fourtune over here, they use them in the house as bars, in the hall for the phone,( strange that), and outside in the garden infact anywhere where it looks decorative, and they any cheap,...J2

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 09:01:27 AM »
Some years ago my mate had a contract with the GPO to remove all the wall mounted post boxes in the Birmingham area, The ones that had the late kings monogram on.

He was given permission to dispose of the boxes as he saw fit. I think it was around 40 to 50 boxes in total.

I told him that the Americans would pay a fortune for them to covert to mail boxes for the end of their drives and if he could wait a little I would find him a buyer.

I got in touch with some of my contacts, after a while I got a reply back with quite a good deal for my mate. When I went round to see him, he had disposed of them all at the scrap yard for about one 50th of the price I had been offered. He tried to get them back from the scrap yard but was told they had already gone for smelting.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pickard.r

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 11:11:46 AM »
http://www.picamatic.com/#http://www.picamatic.com/http://www.picamatic.com/http://www.picamatic.com/#

I recently took these photos in an abandoned village in Dorset which was taken over by the m.o.d. during the second world war for training and still remains in their hands today

The village is called Tyneham and is near Lulworth Cove

Bobby
You can lead a horse to water but, a pencil must be lead.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy