Author Topic: Nostalgia, aint what it used to be  (Read 9749 times)

countrylad

Re: High Tea late 1950’s
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2017, 12:31:46 AM »
I came across this thread this evening and whilst reading it I was immediately transported back to my Nan's on a Sunday. She lived in Trittiford Rd., Billesley and we had recently moved out to a new council house in Sheldon. We would start out around 10.30 in the morning and using the N0s.60, 11 and 13a buses would arrive just before dinner time. (We call it lunch time now but in those days lunch hadn't been invented in our social circle!). Around 12 o'clock my uncle and my self would be despatched  to the outdoor just down the road with an enamel jug to be filled with M&B mild and woe betide us if we spilt any. Of course we did but was was spilt was actually daringly sipped during the journey back. I'm sure grandad knew but he he never let on! The beer would be shared out amongst the grown ups to drink during a great roast sunday dinner (We kids had pop) Usually roast beef with veg grown in the garden and always a pudding served with hot custard even in the summer. The afternoon was spent either dozing if you were a grown up or perhaps a walk down to trittiford park and a go on the boating lake for the younger and more energetic ones.
Around 5 o'clock Gran would serve a tea with cold meat, usually Ham, salad bread and butter (Real butter and not margarine which we would have during the week) followed by a pot of tea and gran's home made cakes and all served up on the "Best China" from the china cabinet.  There always seemed so many uncles and aunts and cousins there but we all crammed in round the dinner table perched on chairs, benches and stools and whatever was available.
Oh what wonderful memories.
Country Lad your so right, Nostalgia ain't what it used to be O0

jamesm, two things you mention have triggered further memories. The first is 'Lunch' we never had lunch. However do you remember 'lunch box' telly program on ATV with Jean Morton. You mentioned Ham Sandwiches. Nan always had a large tin of Old Oak ham in the cupboard, left over from my aunts wedding in 1960. She still had it in 1970! Such happy days. The only dark cloud for me was Sunday was followed by Monday, that meant school next day, yeuk!!

jamesm

Re: Nostalgia, aint what it used to be
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2017, 07:20:10 AM »
Wasn't Lunch Box with Noele Gordon?

countrylad

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2017, 10:43:44 AM »
Yes, you're right. Jean Morton was aunty Jean, Tinger and Tucker.

Scipio

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2017, 10:57:00 AM »

Yes you're right Jamesm , Jerry Allen and his tv trio was  also on  with her
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

ironside

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2017, 09:37:15 AM »
And Tommy Burton

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2017, 05:15:41 PM »

Yes you're right Jamesm , Jerry Allen and his tv trio was  also on  with her

Alan Randall (George Formby impersonator) played vibraphone and piano in the trio.
Let's make the best out of a bad situation.

townie

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2017, 07:40:59 PM »

Lunchbox circa 1956, was a light-hearted sing-along show presented by Noele Gordon with Jerry Allen and his Trio providing the music.

Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

astoness

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2017, 09:03:05 PM »
i can remember mrs dales diary and the archers on the radio.. O0

Scipio

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2017, 10:07:42 PM »

Does any one remember The Barlows of Beddington a radio programme , Dan Dare also,  I used to love all those old radio programmes
Tony Hancock Sunday night used to have us in stitches . The reason for they were so good you had to use your grey matter to imagine
the setting

Mark Twain

countrylad

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2017, 11:36:52 PM »
i can remember mrs dales diary and the archers on the radio.. O0
Mrs Dales diary, takes me back to Nans prefab in Greet. I think this was replaced by Wagoners Walk? The archers, this reminds me of my grandad, I would sit with him while he listened and when the music came on, he would wave his arms around like conducting an orchestra.

He had a small radiogram, I was always fascinated by the radio dial, all those foreign names, Luxembourg, Athlone, Cologne etc

Scipio

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2017, 10:17:43 AM »

Mrs Dales diary, takes me back to Nans prefab in Greet. I think this was replaced by Wagoners Walk? The archers, this reminds me of my grandad, I would sit with him while he listened and when the music came on, he would wave his arms around like conducting an orchestra.

He had a small radiogram, I was always fascinated by the radio dial, all those foreign names, Luxembourg, Athlone, Cologne etc

Countrylad how many times did you hear " I'm worried about Jim " then there was Maggs and Mrs Maggs. "Cor stone me" as Hancock
used to say , its only just like yesterday. You were as safe as houses with those foreign names as long as you never heard "Germany Calling Germany Calling , someone told me years ago that William Joyce who's voice said that was born in Smethwick. Anyone got
anything on that ?
Mark Twain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy