Author Topic: Nostalgia, aint what it used to be  (Read 9753 times)

jamesm

Re: Nostalgia, aint what it used to be
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2017, 10:38:51 AM »
Scipio, without checking I always thought he was Irish born.
Just checked and he was born on April 24th 1906 in New York of Irish parentage.

countrylad

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2017, 06:55:53 PM »

Countrylad how many times did you hear " I'm worried about Jim " then there was Maggs and Mrs Maggs. "Cor stone me" as Hancock
used to say , its only just like yesterday. You were as safe as houses with those foreign names as long as you never heard "Germany Calling Germany Calling , someone told me years ago that William Joyce who's voice said that was born in Smethwick. Anyone got
anything on that ?
Scipio, one character that really stands out for me was Walter Gabriel. He had a soothing type of rural voice. And was it Joe Grundy too.

Did you ever watch the telly until the spot disappeared from the screen when switched off?

robx52

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2017, 07:23:57 PM »
Scipio, one character that really stands out for me was Walter Gabriel. He had a soothing type of rural voice. And was it Joe Grundy too.

Did you ever watch the telly until the spot disappeared from the screen when switched off?
We used to do some silly things back then, my older brothers told me if you looked into it you could still see the program in miniture. :)

Scipio

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2017, 08:35:19 PM »

Did you ever watch The Hancock version of the Archers he was the Walter Gabriel character, he monopolised the programme and they
ended up killing him off by him falling into the combine harvester. Yes I think we all watched the spot, What about Take it from Here
with Jimmy Edwards, June Whitfield , " Oh Ron " "Oh Eth"
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

countrylad

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2017, 06:26:29 PM »
Never watched the Hancock version, but do remember Jimmy Edwards. I remebr how dad used to repair the telly by hitting it on the side, or the top if that didn't work  ;D

jamesm

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2017, 06:53:57 PM »
Never watched the Hancock version, but do remember Jimmy Edwards. I remebr how dad used to repair the telly by hitting it on the side, or the top if that didn't work  ;D
I remember my brother in law standing on top of the dustbin with the aerial so that we could watch the Eurovision Final.  ;D ;D ;D

Scipio

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2017, 08:47:02 PM »

I remember my brother in law standing on top of the dustbin with the aerial so that we could watch the Eurovision Final.  ;D ;D ;D

James may I ask are you still watching the Eurovision final ,god help us
Mark Twain

jamesm

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2017, 08:58:02 PM »

James may I ask are you still watching the Eurovision final ,god help us
We're talking the 60s /70s here. Stopped watching it even before Terry Wogan popped his clogs. Still think Pearl Carr and Teddy Johnson were our best contestants ;D ;D ;D

Scipio

« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2017, 09:37:30 PM »

We're talking the 60s /70s here. Stopped watching it even before Terry Wogan popped his clogs. Still think Pearl Carr and Teddy Johnson were our best contestants ;D ;D ;D

To be perfectly honest James I think Brian Johnson "I saw a mouse on the stairs"  was just about my barrow that's when I lost interest
thankfully
Mark Twain

jamesm

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2017, 10:22:01 PM »

To be perfectly honest James I think Brian Johnson "I saw a mouse on the stairs"  was just about my barrow that's when I lost interest
thankfully
Scipio, what a lovely phrase you've used, "just about my barrow", but I'm sure, like me, you may have said "me Barrer" ;D ;D ;D

Scipio

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2017, 10:29:22 PM »

Scipio, what a lovely phrase you've used, "just about my barrow", but I'm sure, like me, you may have said "me Barrer" ;D ;D ;D

Yes you're right James I was trying to be posh
Mark Twain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy