Author Topic: Nostalgia, aint what it used to be  (Read 9781 times)

jamesm

Re: Nostalgia, aint what it used to be
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2017, 11:03:39 PM »
Scipio I know exactly where you;re coming from. When meeting people for the first time they often say "oh you're from Birmingham" and I always used to say "Yes I was born there but I lived in Solihull when I got married". How [censored]***** pretentious was that! ;D
 I remember meeting some people on holiday who spoke with a very obvious Liverpool accent but who were affronted when called scousers and declared they lived in Birkenhead although being born in Liverpool. Same thing I think.
Now I am proud to be recognised as a Brummie especially where I live now, County Durham, where my accent stands out like a sore thumb amongst all the "Why Ayes and Where ya Gannin?" ;D

countrylad

« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2017, 12:58:17 PM »
I remember my brother in law standing on top of the dustbin with the aerial so that we could watch the Eurovision Final.  ;D ;D ;D
I do remember he fuss about the aerial. Had we got the right one etc. I remember dad in the loft and mom down stairs shouting to each other to try to get the aerial in the right position. Yes that's it! No it's moved! Move it back a bit ! Yes, that's great.......no it's moved again. Then tempers would start to deteriorate  ;D

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2017, 03:23:37 PM »
Still listen to the Archers every night and most Wednesdays I listen to 'Hancocks Half Hour' on Radio 4E.

I used to love 'Educating Archie' which helped to make people like Max Bygraves, Beryl Reid, Harry Secombe, Dick Emery, Benny Hill, Bernard Bresslaw Hattie Jacques and Julie Andrews famous. However, I listened to it the other day and thought it was a load of rubbish. Mind you, I was only 14 when I liked it.
Let's make the best out of a bad situation.

Scipio

« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2017, 09:09:16 PM »

Still listen to the Archers every night and most Wednesdays I listen to 'Hancocks Half Hour' on Radio 4E.

I used to love 'Educating Archie' which helped to make people like Max Bygraves, Beryl Reid, Harry Secombe, Dick Emery, Benny Hill, Bernard Bresslaw Hattie Jacques and Julie Andrews famous. However, I listened to it the other day and thought it was a load of rubbish. Mind you, I was only 14 when I liked it.

Don't you think The Archers have gone a bit like Emmerdale , inasmuch there ain't a lot of chat about farming . Little bit I hear of Ambridge while working in the garage it seems to  me totally removed from its original foundation . No talk about being up top field etc
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

astoness

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2017, 09:17:57 PM »
i have not watched any of the soaps for a few years now...got far too silly and too much copying each others story lines...boring...

Scipio

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2017, 09:27:26 PM »

i have not watched any of the soaps for a few years now...got far too silly and too much copying each others story lines...boring...

I'd agree with you there Lyn , EastEnders cast are they asked at audition, if they can squint , if you can , here's some threatening lines for you everyone is a so called hardcase . I see the adverts for this programme that's enough , have not watched these bags of washing for years thankfully
Mark Twain

Ian Dalziel

« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2017, 09:59:33 PM »

Don't you think The Archers have gone a bit like Emmerdale , inasmuch there ain't a lot of chat about farming . Little bit I hear of Ambridge while working in the garage it seems to  me totally removed from its original foundation . No talk about being up top field etc

There are still snippets about farming, but, that said, tonight's episode finished with the hated Matt Crawford being run down by a car - deliberately? However, I can remember Tom Forrest shooting a poacher in 1957. Nothing changes.
Let's make the best out of a bad situation.

countrylad

« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2017, 09:00:59 AM »

I very rarely listen to the Archers or see Emmerdale. I did used to get right into it bot programs. The Archers was so well written and acted out on the radio, you could actually see those characters in your mind.

Both Archers and Emmerdale revolved around rural life, as they said, it was about the lives of country folk. Its now all about getting one over on someone.  Things have not been the same since the 'Wooden Tops' stopped being on the telly. Sam and Mrs Scrubbit were the grafters..... 

Scipio

« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2017, 10:25:06 AM »

I very rarely listen to the Archers or see Emmerdale. I did used to get right into it bot programs. The Archers was so well written and acted out on the radio, you could actually see those characters in your mind.

Both Archers and Emmerdale revolved around rural life, as they said, it was about the lives of country folk. Its now all about getting one over on someone.  Things have not been the same since the 'Wooden Tops' stopped being on the telly. Sam and Mrs Scrubbit were the grafters..... 

That's very true Countrylad  folks must want to watch all this violence and skullduggery . When it happens on their own doorstep though in real life the same people are appalled by it .Veryyy Strange 
Mark Twain

countrylad

« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2017, 08:27:04 PM »

That's very true Countrylad  folks must want to watch all this violence and skullduggery . When it happens on their own doorstep though in real life the same people are appalled by it .Veryyy Strange
Scipio, it's almost that folks don't want to relax these days. I always relaxed and drifted off when listening to the Archers. Same with things like, All Creatures Great and Small or to the Manor Born, you could escape into that world. On the same premise, how could you escape into Emerdale when the producers try to get the viewers on the edge of their seats. But then again, if what is on telly is escapism these days,what must their real lives be like if telly is light relief?  :o

Scipio

« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2017, 09:29:22 PM »

Scipio, it's almost that folks don't want to relax these days. I always relaxed and drifted off when listening to the Archers. Same with things like, All Creatures Great and Small or to the Manor Born, you could escape into that world. On the same premise, how could you escape into Emerdale when the producers try to get the viewers on the edge of their seats. But then again, if what is on telly is escapism these days,what must their real lives be like if telly is light relief?  :o

Could'nt agree with you more Countrylad , when me and the Mrs first got married we hadn't got a telly we used to listen to plays or
book readings on the radio , like you, we were transported to that particular scenario . ITV years ago in the 70's showed a lot of
dramatisations of H E Bates books on Sunday night what a brilliant end to the weekend , a glass of beer and back to the early 20th
century in the countryside brilliant . Used to chill me out so I could start the following week relaxed
Mark Twain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy