Author Topic: Birmingham Tansport Systems of the Past  (Read 34451 times)

frederick

Re: Birmingham Tansport Systems of the Past
« Reply #154 on: April 28, 2009, 08:42:16 AM »
hi Morris,
welcome to the forum, thanks for the photos  O0

Fred
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Morris

« Reply #155 on: April 28, 2009, 04:16:41 PM »
Phil,

Thank you for clearing up the copyright issue. I've looked through the book I used for reference and there is no mention of any copyright restrictions. As you rightly suggest the pictures are over 70 years old and if there was an objection I'm sure the administration of this site could remove the offending image.

My family research project is based on receipts and time sheets recorded by my Gt. Grandfather (a Master Carpenter) and Grandfather (clock maker) Originally they were from Knowle before moving to Solihull High Street close to the church. Their records show work in many local Churches and Houses from Coleshill, Balsall Common, Shustoke, Stratford, Hampton, Berkswell Hall, Fillongley, Nailcote Hall., Barston and Meriden.

I'm presently researching my Grandfather Nathan Haines. He was one of the lucky ones to return from WW1 and settled in South Wales in 1920 where he continued his Clock making trade servicing the many Welsh Chapels.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #156 on: April 28, 2009, 04:53:14 PM »
Hi Morris

What an interesting subject to be researching, your ancestors sound really fascinating. Also what wonderful places they worked at having seen and visited most of the areas and houses that you mention I think they must have been greatly respected as craftsmen.

I suppose you know that Nailcote Hall is a hotel now; I can recommend the restaurant having eaten there a couple of times. In fact the whole area is a really beautiful part of the country. I have to say that, as its all part of my back yard.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #157 on: April 29, 2009, 01:11:21 PM »
Who can remember catching the tram here to the Lickey’s? Mind you when I lived in Balsall Heath I usually walked down to Bristol Rd and caught one there. Usually a little gang of three or four mates, full of excitement about the day in front of us. With our bottles of tea and jam sandwiches wrapped in the previous nights Evening Despatch in our pockets or more usually an old WD haversack.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #158 on: April 29, 2009, 04:42:12 PM »
Ah, memories........On Bank Holidays, I walked into town, or went on the bus to town with granddad - that way you could be sure of getting on as all trams left FULL (and a few more)

denise

« Reply #159 on: May 03, 2009, 10:03:32 PM »
Big thanks to Morris for sorting out the stonebridge mystery ;D

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #160 on: August 31, 2009, 11:04:13 PM »
does any body know how many could be seated on a tram upper and lower and how many would they let stand
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

tramp

« Reply #161 on: September 01, 2009, 04:14:41 AM »
Roy,

On the 72 tram for the Lickeys on an August Bank Holiday Monday like this, at least  100 must have got on including children - I'm thinking back and loving every screeching bend and rocking down the Bristol Rd..... ;D

.....those Were the Days My Friend  O0

tramp

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy