Author Topic: Birmingham Tansport Systems of the Past  (Read 34453 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Birmingham Tansport Systems of the Past
« on: December 15, 2008, 12:14:41 PM »
J2,

Not wanting to be accused of wandering off thread. In answer to your query I have started this thread so all us little boys can post our favourite train, tram and bus photo's. The other pictures posted of trains are connected to the Nechells thread and Saltley21A (Albert).

John pictures of Moor St for some reason are hard to come by for some reason. I remember Royben asking for some a while back. I wasn't able to accommodate him then. but since that time I have acquired a few. They are not great quality, but they are viewable. Here are the first three.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Birmingham Tansport Systems of the Past
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 12:21:58 PM »
J2

Here are the second batch of three, I hope you enjoy.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Andy Capp

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 06:54:04 PM »
HI PHIL
I'VE CLEANED A COUPLE OF THE PHOTOS UP A BIT BUT THATS THE BEST I CAN DO. ANDY CAPP

Andy Capp

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 06:56:47 PM »
1 PHOTO

Andy Capp

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 07:01:20 PM »
1 PHOTO

tramp

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 07:13:01 PM »
I travelled on the No. 8 Inner Circle more than any other route, so any and all photos of one of those out of Highgate Rd garage would be very welcome.

The 72 Rednal tram was a special August Bank Holiday treat, and courtesy of Phil's vast archives, I've got a few of them, thanks a lot.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 08:40:34 PM »
tramp

How about this one it shows a number 8 bus and you can even see Highgate Rd depot in the background. Just to top it off there is another of the interior of the depot.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 09:37:50 PM »
Phil,

Terrific photos, thank you very much, especially the Daimler (HOV), and I've stood at that stop on the left a few times. and I almost certainly bought a ''penny child's'' on that particular bus, in both directions, though mainly started off going up to the Bristol Rd on the way to school every day.

To get a ''workmans return'' wasn't it necessary to pay (not just get on) before/by 7 am... being too young I never had one - but I wonder if anyone remembers how the old ''workmans return'' was operated.

tramp

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 09:44:45 PM »
Phil,

Do you remember the older ''lollypop'' style bus stops, there were three I think. red, blue and yellow - they were: compulsory stop (for timekeeping), request and the other I forget, maybe night service or some other less frequently required need.

tramp

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 12:32:18 PM »
tramp

I can't say I remember the lollipop bus stops unless you mean the temporary ones they used to weld to old bus wheel hubs. I remember the different types of stops though. Did the drivers take any notice though, I don't think they did they just whizzed past them all.

Here's a couple of shots of the tram halt at the Lickeys. The one looks like it was taken on a busy bank holiday Monday.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2008, 01:11:43 PM »
Phil,

Thank you for the massive lines of trams at Rednal - I recall them well.

The 'lollypop' bus stops were simply the model before the one in the photo of Highgate Rd - the metal circle was located centrally on top of the post, rather than being offset like the Highgate one.

Those were the days of coloured bus tickets in a rack almost a foot long,carried by the conductor - each colour had its price pre-printed and the farestage was punched when it was bought. They went from 7d down to a 1d Childs - I think the cheapest adult was 2d.

All our yesterdays....

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy