Author Topic: down memory lane in birmingham  (Read 157056 times)

jasper14

Re: down memory lane in birmingham
« Reply #66 on: December 28, 2008, 10:56:52 PM »
Langstraat

would,nt it just,  and for lots of other things that go missing eh...

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #67 on: December 28, 2008, 10:57:54 PM »
Jasper

Talking about Taylor & Challen here is a photo that I don't think I posted previously, it shows the factory from Henrietta St in 1954. Where you there then?

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Langstraat

« Reply #68 on: December 28, 2008, 11:00:13 PM »
Langstraat

would,nt it just,  and for lots of other things that go missing eh...

You're dead right there Bab  O0
Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and try to beat you with experience.

jasper14

« Reply #69 on: December 28, 2008, 11:41:35 PM »
Yes from April26th 1953 until Nov 1957
Met my husband there,married and left only when the first baby was coming.
It was a lovely firm to work at, Mr Bernard Challen the main man was great
I think he knew the name of every one who worked there,in some cases the
name of the wife as well......We  had a wonderful send off when we got wed
and a very nice baby shower from the staff.its a pity there are,nt more like
that nowadays............O yes MOH was in the Drawing Office,I was Reception
and switchboard.........

tramp

« Reply #70 on: December 29, 2008, 03:59:49 AM »
MomJaz,,

You really must reconsider the essence of the matter and not lead us off at tangents and smokescreens about streets that move and change their names as quickly as the buses change colours and shall we say ''root(s)'' numbers.

You see until I was about 6 y.o. logically enough, I thought ''the black country'' was just another name for ''the Dark Continent'' and thus without putting too fine  a point on a lady's age, let us say that as you can perhaps give me at least 7 years, I'd have assumed that you were essentially African, but having been born when the British Empire ensured that over a third of the World map was loyal, and royal pink, you had been drawn into the Empire and some of your country folk transported to England to fill in parts of the spare bits of what were formerly Walsall, Sutton and West Brom  (just as brum was once part of Worcester) - and the Baggies have always needed a boost - accordingly you may not be aware that Great Barr is derived from two sources: Great, obviously to give you a sense of status in a new country, whereas Barr has less obvious roots and is clearly far removed from any dives, pubs or other establishments of that ilk.  In many parts of Africa particularly among the Xhosa, Zulu, Ndebele and Ojibwa ''bhala'' indicates literacy, through the ability to write.....now that can't be bad can it, to be transported to a new continent and hailed as Great Writers.......indeed such was the reputation of these  foreigners, legend has it that when the late King Sobhuza II, of Swaziland requested the aid of HMG's Foreign Office in finding a new wife from UK there was obviously nowhere  better to select the lucky lady from, and who was guaranteed a life of ease as the King already had 67 wives......just think instead of that long voyage to the Antipodes you could have skipped onto a royal yacht bound for Mbabane (which happens to be landlocked) but without doubt, His Majesty King Sobhuza, would have found a way ''to transport you with delight''.   

jasper14

« Reply #71 on: December 29, 2008, 04:26:13 AM »
You my dear friend do talk a load of RUBBISH, but I must admit youcan be
rather funny....The only delight I take much notice of nowaday is Turkish
Delight so am afraid that King Sobhuza would be terribley disappointed
if he did "import" me..........I did boost the Baggies also knoywn as the Throstles.
My male forebearers did actually have black faces as the where Coal Barge
Masters in their time,maybe thats the reason we folk are transported all
round that region,a few little baggages deposited there by the said Bargee,s
Will not delve into that any further tho,would hate to upset your sensibilities
Am away forsoe Bread Pud now.Tara ar kid.

tramp

« Reply #72 on: December 29, 2008, 01:47:32 PM »
Hello MumJaz,

You've been quite safe from King Sobhuza for several years since he not so much ''popped his clogs'' as he never wore any, but died of earache - who wouldn't with 70 odd wives moaning and yakkin' away - not to mention 70 odd ma-in-laws.....  Surprising that he lasted so long considering all that....then again having passed through in the line of duty, it's not a bad neck of the woods, beautiful land in fact, and should be even better now that apartheid is over and the Boer farmers have stopped trying to destroy the Swazi herds with rinderpest infected animals.  That was their away of beating the cheaper Swazi comperition, so it wasn't surprising that the King asked if the UK could help fend of ''anti-competitive '' practices.

Once again, I hope that all has goes well at the hospital, and look forward to hearing from from you later.

oldgoose

« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2009, 11:25:35 AM »
Erm.....scuse me you lot but this thread has really strayed from the original which was supposed to be us reminiscing about Brum when we were kids. Not that I mind talking about the Digbeth flyover. I used to get really excited when Mom and I went to 'town' and had to go over the flyover. It was the best bit of the journey.
By the way, did anyone else call going to Birmingham City Centre,. going to 'town'?
Back to the subject - memories of school and childhood.
Assembly every single morning without fail and we stood up all the way through. 
Those little bottles of milk with a straw poked through that we were all expected to drink.
The 'nit' nurse
Using a long piece of elastic wound around our ankles for 'french skipping'
Watching 'people of many lands' on a black and white TV,which gave you the impression that the entire population of Africa lived in mud huts and the entire population of iceland lived in igloos
Learning 20 spellings every week for the test on a Friday and having to write out the ones you got wrong ten times
The '11 plus'
'Co-Op' cheques to buy our school uniform and 'provident cheques' to buy our new dresses and usually only the dowdiest shops accepted them
Everyone in the playground joining in with turning a big rope for skipping games
Playing 'whats the time Mr.wolf' and 'tig'
Having to go down to the phonebox to use the phone to call the doctor because no-one in our road had a phone
I could go on for ages !!!!!!

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2009, 12:50:21 PM »
Thats right oldgoose you tell them. they are naughty boys and girls, and if they don't behave themselves father Christmas won't be calling at their house next year. It wouldn't have been much of a threat in our house as he seemed to pass by our house many years.

You are right about the no telephone in the house thing. I remember the Friday night that my Grandfather died. He had a heart attack and one of my uncles had to run round to the doctors because the surgery was nearer than the nearest phone.
Of course by the time the doctor got there he was dead. I think that without a doubt that if it had been today he would have survived.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #75 on: January 16, 2009, 02:00:39 PM »
hi oldgoose
                  yes some posts do go off thread its a bit like having a chat to a friend nice day yep it is did you know that so and so and on its goes most poster seem to like it that way and i could go on to each thread and say stick to the thread but i would be doing that most of the time but then some one like your self will bring the posts back onto thread and that makes most happy  Roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Telstar

« Reply #76 on: January 16, 2009, 05:27:10 PM »
Hi oldgoose, how are you ?..... they were innocent days that our generation inherited from yours and we are thankful and grateful that we did ..... That we shared and enjoyed some of the same things .....

The same size milk bottles with the straws ..... In the summer, diluted cordial orange in them for 1d or 2d. Biscuits from the biscuit lady if you had a few pennies ..... The same playground games ....

tig & tag. marlies, skipping, chasing ....... and even kiss chase when you got a bit older .....

The same rules were applied ..... the same words of encouragement if you were good ..... the same stick if you were bold .....

We listened to and sang the same hymns and carols at Christmas ..... favourites passed from one generation to another ..... passed down and on ..... never to be forgotten .....

Close your eyes and imagine you're back in assembly ..... with the piano playing and 200 kids singing .....

" All things bright and beautiful ..... all creatures great and small ..... "

and hear your teacher's voice calling out the register ...... Dickson ... Sir! ... Smith ... Sir!...

Robinson ... Sir! ... Whitehouse ... Sir!

The same was good ..... consistant ..... memorable ..... and young .....

Please Sir !..... can I have some more ....? More?.... Yes!.... More of the same ..... please!....   ;) 

Telstar

F O R W A R D

The truth always prevails.....

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy