Author Topic: down memory lane in birmingham  (Read 157027 times)

tramp

Re: down memory lane in birmingham
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2008, 07:39:09 PM »
It was raining for much of the time on Coronation Day, the party was a virtual washout.  Sometime before, I remember the school giving us a tin of chocolates that ''disappeared'' as soon as I walked in the door with them.  Never had a mug but there were an awful lot about; they seemed to be in every papershop let alone all the other shops and big stores.

john2000

« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2008, 09:45:50 PM »
Tramp, well I've always wanted a boat, even when little, and then a teenager, never lost the idea of having a boat, ( girls want ponies ) and guys want motorbikes, but me I wanted a boat,
Well now I have one, and she is my second love, ( I even rub her bottom some times,with sand paper ) never complains when I make a mistake,
she is a 9m ( 33ft) trimaran, sail, ( three wheeler bike ), and fast, can sleep three with ease, head room through out, can hold 23 crates of beer, if theres only two of us, I even let the misses drive, difficult to sail alone, but can be done, ( on a normal boat you just lean over the side and grab what ever you have to grab, but on a Tri, you have to get out and walk over the float to grab what ever you're going to grab, then dash back to the tiller ( steering thing) to turn her into the wind, ( that was you loose headway,) slow down..
At night when I'm in a strange port, I / we go to a nice restaurant have a great meal, stagger back to the boat ( if I can remember where I put it,), sit on the deck with a beer or some thing a little stronger ( a fine malt), watch the people on the Quie walk by, next morning up at 6.am ( wanted to sleep in but cant), all the other boats are going out of the marina and they make a wash ( waves), and you think you're on a wild horse, my little boat is bucking all over the place,  beer bottles go all over the place, ( tip) clean up before you turn in, ( if you're sober) put your pants on and start breakfast, and enjoy the morning cuppa on deck, the smell of bacon and eggs in the crisp morning air,  great way to start the day, where do you want to go today,?,  I ask my crew, one of the islands, that will take us most of the day, sure you want to go, ok, we go.
Out come the charts,  I go to the harbour master and pay my small over night fee, and off we go, motor out of the marina, turn off the motor, and turn into the wind, and hoist the main sail, and fore sail, at this time the boat is movings backwards, turn the wheel and crack the wind  fills the sails, and like a race horse she off,
Yepe, I love it..... J2... O0

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

tramp

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2008, 12:00:16 AM »
John,

You write with lively animation and genuine joy when you tell about your trimaran's trips, and your life-long love affair with boats.....you should write more about it - I'm serious.   

You showed me how much you love it, and so I really enjoyed reading about it, thanks very much mate O0

So, show other people - tell it like it is ;D

jasper14

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2008, 08:54:18 AM »
John2, for a sailor I would make a good trombone player...No water is not
my thing, but I did enjoy your post, could almst feel the wind in my hair and
sea on my face.......course by then I would be donating to the fishes..
However it was truly very readable and yes I did enjoy it, thank you.
You would love the Waitamata Harbour here...........

john2000

« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2008, 10:49:39 AM »
Thank you,... but not every one likes boats, ..its like tennis. I listen to some people who go on for hours about it, and I think bloody hell, they do go on.. :(,. and I would hate them to think of me like that..J2

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2008, 11:57:01 AM »
Returning to the topic of Camp Hill Flyover. Here is a later colour photo. It show the colour scheme at that time as being blue, and that in reality it was not that high, just enough clearance to enable a double decker bus to exit from Coventry Rd and under it. The Dolls Club would have been on the right just out of shot on the photo.

As we search our memories, and look back at these things, we all remember different aspects of a thing and sometimes we even remember them differently. So it is a good thing that we can discuss so many diverse subjects on this forum and we are able to set the record straight in some cases.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2008, 12:14:24 PM »
Phil,

Your fine photos, especially this last one, seem to have captured the essence of this toy-like little ''long'' bridge to nowhere that you couldn't already reach.  This prompts the comment:  if this Digbeth F/O was a ''dry run'' for Spaghetti Junction........out of acorns.....grow some bloody ugly forests ;D

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2008, 12:32:02 PM »
tramp

My personal opinion is it was just an exercise for the council to be able to say "look we are doing our best" Although it eased the traffic at that point for a while it didn't help to ease the problems further down the road.

It made no difference to the Stratford Rd, Sandy Lane and Coventry Rd Watery Lane junctions. Which I understand still have much the same problems today. I rarely get down that way anymore, so I can't really vouch for my last statement.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2008, 05:52:35 PM »
Phil,

So a badly planned project that was never fit for any really useful purpose - brum's had a LOT, and got a LOT of those, from what this site indicates.

tramp

john2000

« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2008, 08:53:59 PM »
I hear that the council don't want the library made in to a heritage site, maybe they want to build something else there, next week, they probably want to pull down little Ben....J2

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2008, 01:47:58 PM »
does anyone remember the day that a bull got out of the meat market and made its way up to the rag market i think it was about 1956 it got shot and took away 
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy