Author Topic: down memory lane in birmingham  (Read 157024 times)

Spud

Re: down memory lane in birmingham
« Reply #495 on: August 14, 2015, 06:33:15 PM »
I think that Bulpits may well be known to many people under their trade name Swan Brand they were well known for Kitchen Ware Electric Kettles etc
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

PeteSmith1978

« Reply #496 on: April 14, 2017, 10:51:05 PM »
Noticed the post by Alan Rowe. I believe he is related to my Grandmother Mary Smith. She married my grandfather William (Bill) Smith who indeed had a greengrocer on Coventry Road. Know very little about my Grandparents families.

IzzyM

« Reply #497 on: June 22, 2017, 11:23:38 AM »
Hi Phil

I'm getting in touch as I used to go to the old 1970s Lozells Primary School. I am in contact with the former teachers at the moment.

I also happen to have had the privilege of speaking to the old headmaster who moved across from the old Victorian School to the 1970s one. He's in late 80s and now extremely frail sadly.

Regarding both these schools, would you have high quality images/scans I could trouble you for? The teachers I am in contact with would love to see such pictures.

Best wishes!

IzzyM

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #498 on: June 28, 2017, 12:03:26 PM »
Hi Izzy

You will have to give me more details of the schools that you require images of, if I have posted he images to this thread then can you quote the post number. It's indicated at the top of the post just under the heading as reply #xx along with the date it was posted. Failing that I will need the name of the street the school was located on.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Pamela Maycock

« Reply #499 on: October 17, 2020, 04:06:31 PM »
As a child I lived in at no. 33 abbey street in the early 1960s and we moved to Bellis st when I was 11 years of age.  Mum left us when we moved from abbey street and times were hard. Alfredo used to feed us in return for reading a passage of the bible we would have starved had it not been for him !

Pamela Maycock

« Reply #500 on: October 17, 2020, 04:35:38 PM »
oh!! phil the photos of abbey street are brill we were there in the early 60s where the vauxhall is on the first one there was a garage ,on the last one we lived around where the car is on the left it was a slum really but you know although it was hard we had fun too  ;)

as for the market not sure !!
could have been before it was bombed
not sure hun :-\

I too lived in Abbey street in the early 60s name was maycocks then  and we lived next to the half way house behind us lived a spinster called miss Hoik and further up the rd  was mr Dodds who grew vegetables in the back yard.  Also remembering the George's, the Flemings a and of course the off licence. Dad used to drink at the fire engine and the hydraulic.

Scipio

« Reply #501 on: October 17, 2020, 05:58:26 PM »

I too lived in Abbey street in the early 60s name was maycocks then  and we lived next to the half way house behind us lived a spinster called miss Hoik and further up the rd  was mr Dodds who grew vegetables in the back yard.  Also remembering the George's, the Flemings a and of course the off licence. Dad used to drink at the fire engine and the hydraulic.

Welcome Pamela I hope you enjoy the forum
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Hanf1940

« Reply #502 on: November 19, 2020, 05:49:11 PM »
thats a good start to the thread phil  thanks I'm not sure but i think bikes where bard

John Perkins

« Reply #503 on: May 26, 2021, 09:46:33 PM »
Hi everyone I’m new to the forum and found this site by chance . I was born in Cathcart Street in 1952. Our house was number 4 back of 5 ,where I lived till 1952 . I was seven years old when we moved but still remember the area somewhat .
 My grandmother lived round the corner in Dolman street and my uncle and aunt in Alma street .
Hornimans shop was on the top of Cathcart street , from where we used to buy sticks of real liquorice root .
  We used to have the Winkle man come around on Saturday evening, selling tri-corner bags of winkles with a straight pin to ‘ winkle ‘ them out of the shell . Oh happy days ..
Along with my two elder sisters I attended St. Anne’s school in Devon  street.
Sunday lunchtime myself and younger brother would be standing in the doorway of the Manor pub with a bottle of pop and a bag of nibbets
  I could go on and on but just wonder if  anyone else shares these memories ?

Gwladmab

« Reply #504 on: May 27, 2021, 08:35:46 AM »
Hi everyone I’m new to the forum and found this site by chance . I was born in Cathcart Street in 1952. Our house was number 4 back of 5 ,where I lived till 1952 . I was seven years old when we moved but still remember the area somewhat .
 My grandmother lived round the corner in Dolman street and my uncle and aunt in Alma street .
Hornimans shop was on the top of Cathcart street , from where we used to buy sticks of real liquorice root .
  We used to have the Winkle man come around on Saturday evening, selling tri-corner bags of winkles with a straight pin to ‘ winkle ‘ them out of the shell . Oh happy days ..
Along with my two elder sisters I attended St. Anne’s school in Devon  street.
Sunday lunchtime myself and younger brother would be standing in the doorway of the Manor pub with a bottle of pop and a bag of nibbets
  I could go on and on but just wonder if  anyone else shares these memories ?
Hello John Perkins, welcome to the forum, enjoy.
I have some lovely memories of Brum in my early days. I was born a couple of years after you. My earliest memories are of Great Barr, Darley Dale Avenue and of Hall Green. I do remember the liquorice sticks. I think we called in Spanish Liquorice. Jamboree bags were always great, later called Lucky Bags. I think most of us were lucky to keep our teeth.

Sunday would be the day for a walk with dad. Sometimes ending up at theGospel Oak pub, Hall Green. Dad would bring his pint out and I would have a glass of dandelion and burdock (beer pop) as I called it. We’d sit on the wall outside the pub. I was always fascinated by the short stubbs  of metal sticking up out of the wall, where the railings had been taken from to be melted down for the war effort.  Depending how dad was feeling after his shift work, we would sometimes walk across Gospel Lane over some waste ground towards St Bernard’s Rd. This is where the Anti-aircraft guns and search light had been placed in the war. That area has now all been built on. I wonder if the newer residents know the history of where there semi-detached houses are built.
Gwlad

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #505 on: May 27, 2021, 08:44:48 AM »

just for you      who remembers this root   half penny a stick
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy