Author Topic: INDIAN FOOD  (Read 12956 times)

Fabian Steadman

INDIAN FOOD
« on: December 18, 2008, 11:00:36 PM »
Where, in Birmingham, can one get good "Indian" food, not Bangladeshi or Pakistani, but proper Indian food?

Langstraat

Re: INDIAN FOOD
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 11:52:31 PM »
Whenever I stay in Brum for a few days I try to fit in a visit to 'Shimla Pinks' on Broad Street. It's always been a special evening,
first class service and authentic food in style. I've not been this year but suspect it's still as good and look forward to my next experience. Check out the listings in Birmingham fine dining sites. For a good selection of resturants try the 'Mail Box' easy and safe parking all under one roof, expensive, but what the heck.
Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and try to beat you with experience.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 09:04:31 AM »
Where, in Birmingham, can one get good "Indian" food, not Bangladeshi or Pakistani, but proper Indian food?

You need to get an Indian friend and get an invite to dinner, because you will never get an authentic Indian or meal or any other type of authentic eastern meal in a restaurant. They simply don't serve authentic meals and what they do serve is the made for European's, I know because I have eaten the genuine stuff with Indian friends and if I am honest tasted like a very mild curry with a lot less spices than you would get in a curry house.

Have you ever thought how many people who originate  India, Pakistan or Bangladesh you have seen eating in curry houses, Its a rare sight.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mybrumtv

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 10:23:38 AM »
If your feet smell and your nose runs you were born upside down

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 02:59:16 PM »
like phil has said its hard to get but i have had both  but some of the best i have had is in ladypool road not as good as home cooking but for taste not bad
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 03:21:20 PM »
Roy

The best curry from a restaurant that I ever used to have was from the Jinnah on Moseley Rd in Balsall Heath. Yonks before they ever thought of a Balti Triangle. Balti which by the way was another meal that was though up and concocted for the gullible people of Birmingham. Its only just recently that you have been able to get a Balti outside Birmingham.

Anyway all you could get at the Jinnah when it first opened (It must have been one of the first in Birmingham suburbs) was meat or chicken curry and rice and this cost a massive 3/6d or to those who don't remember real money 17.5 pence. Every bit of it was enjoyable and eatable.

The place was owned and run by a chap called Kazzi (thats as near as I can get to it) and his Scottish wife called Betty. It was the first place we hit after throwing out time at the pub.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Bannion

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 03:42:05 PM »
I'm looking back to the late sixties.  When we had drunk a skinful we would settle at the Light of Asia - think it was in Bromsgrove Street.  We would order Vindaloos ( a real sobering one) and the wager was the first one of us to take a sip of water paid for the meal. Tell you I had a lot of free meals there.   My wife now wonders how I can drink my tea so hot - throat seared passed all feeling due to the Vindaloos ::)

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 03:42:35 PM »
phil if its the same place that i used going back 1960s they did not do a take away but you could go with your own pots and they would put it in that for you  now that was just up from belgrave road on the left hand side going toward Moseley now if you had five bobs worth(25p) they would all most fill your pot and you would get a load of rice it would do for four  of you and some left over now that was all most home cooking

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 03:47:25 PM »
hi bannion i had a vinda once  never never again my life was it hot hehehe just thinking about it and you winning your bet your a brave man

Telstar

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 04:01:00 PM »
Sometime around 1970 - 74, we used to go into The Jarna or The Manzil after the pubs, down beside the Digbeth Police Station ...... They used to be full ...... packed out ...... This was in the days before cool phrases and words like ..... Ruby Murray ..... Going for a Ruby ........

Most people back then used to say ...... Are we going for a meal ...... went for a meal after the pub last night ...... etc ....

I always had a curry, but back then, a lot of people who went in with the crowd, still ordered off the European section of the menu ...... You would have people sitting at the table eating, T Bone Steak ...... Breast of Chicken & Chips ....... Mixed Grill ...... and a popular favorite was the Rainbow Trout ........ Everybody didn't eat a curry back then ......

It used to be a Friday or Saturday night treat ....... This was in the pre Blue Nun days ...... I think it was the Black Tower days ...... very posh indeed .....

What we really used to say was ...... " Are ya goin for a Scutterry Bum ..... a Delhi Belly or a Jelly Botty ? "

God be with the days, eh!       ;D

The truth always prevails.....

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 04:13:01 PM »
Roy
It sound like we are talking about the same place. It was at the top of Ombersley rd, more or less opposite Haden St.

Bannion

I think they came up with another one later called the Tindaloo which would burn your mouth off if you didn't have asbestos linings. Not that I ever tried it. I'm not keen on over hot curry.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy