Author Topic: birmingham childerns homes use this thread  (Read 7578 times)

roy one

• Global Moderator
birmingham childerns homes use this thread
« on: December 28, 2008, 10:47:09 AM »
in the late 40s and 50s Birmingham had a number of children's homes erdington cottage homes shenley fields and such like most of the kids that went into the homes were in need of care some had no mom or dad or no one to look after them not just a few but 1000s over the years

was you in the homes
 did you know some one that was in the homes
 did you have friends in the home
would you like to try and find the home that you was in

have you got a story about the homes

i have a link that might help its free

pm me for the link  roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Jacqueline

Re: birmingham childerns homes use this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 11:57:06 PM »
Roy i do not need the link but noticed the Shenley home was mentioned and just wanted to give some input.

Early 70's i worked with a girl who came from the shenley home in Northfield. Back then i was not aware of the home but roughly knew the location. I now live close to where the home once stood which is now a new housing development.

Might help a few who thought it was still standing.

christopher

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 07:49:01 AM »
Hello Roy,

I've no need for the link but feel that a number of the children in the homes in the Birmingham area may have been in places such as the Child's Emigration Homes.
Children left Birmingham for Commonwealth countries in the last quarter of the nineteenth century and were still going to these countries until the middle of the twentieth century. A total of about 5,000 children were sent to Canada and around
259 to Australia (1922-1955) in association with the Fairbridge Farm Schools.

Christopher

Brummiejoy

birmingham childerns homes use this thread
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 10:38:47 AM »
There was a childrens home right behind the BBC building Pebble Mill. Think it was on the Bristol Rd. It was run by the Cloudsleys. I know because I used to visit my three younger siblings there on a saturday lunch time and take them to the park nearby. My Older siblings were in different cottages at the  Shenley fields homes. I think many thousands of children were sent to Canada and Australia. In fact the government here are about to make a public apology to the STOLEN children of England very soon. Amazing what the government can keep quiet about.
 The photo is of my sister Peggy and another little girl in 1961
Joy

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 04:57:53 PM »
 i hope this will help members its a free site roy

Careleaversreunited

Steve

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 09:14:27 PM »
I worked at a sports centre in Shropshire, the main buildings were once the Hunting Lodge of the Duke of Sutherland built C1839.
  When Sutherands gave it up, it was for a few years a Dr Barnardo's home. A friend who had worked there 15 years had learned some of the history of the place, and he said the same thing, that kids were exported to Canada, and were often used as free labour on farms etc.
  Whatever, it was probably better in Canada than living in abject poverty in England. At least when they came of age they were free to go where they wanted in a land of opportunity.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 05:41:18 PM »
 this link will help you find all the homes around the midlands

, www.careleaversreunited.org,

vauxonion

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 06:04:53 PM »
Hi Roy I was A (war baby ) i spent a few months in the Cottage Homes when i was four probably my first memory of life got passed around my mothers sisters for a bit till my mother sorted her life out.Dek

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 07:05:32 PM »
hi vaux
             after doing a bit of research in to the homes i found out that most of the kids in the homes was in need of care and protection ie mom or dad could not look after them heath or they has passed on in the late 40s and up to the mid 50 some kids got sent over sea to ozz but after that the Birmingham children's department had a different approach to the way that kids was looked after
they had the best that you could have at the time most kids had new out fits to go to school in new shoes pocket money holidays by the sea and most of the house parents give the kids t.l.c and they was given all the info on the child's background some kids went a stray and ended up going to approved school and later on to borstal but most ended up doing ok
when the kids become 16 they was found a home with a family or a place that they would be safe  the kids had a job found for them and if they needed tools they got them but they still had some one that if things went wrong they could go to until they become 18

if you need to find the home or homes that you was in go to the link i put up and become part of that site I'm sure you will find kids and homes that you remember  good luck  roy

vauxonion

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 07:13:12 PM »
Roy thanks for the imfo i was lucky i had my mothers family as back up so although i have my memories it was never a big deal for me. Dek

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 01:03:35 PM »
CLA Bulletin, 2nd October 2009
This fortnight’s bulletin includes:
1.       CareleaversReunited reaches 5000
2.       Project for black and minority ethnic young people from care
3.       CLA Secretary raises over £900 for Jersey Care Leavers
4.       CLA Newsletter update
5.       Blog and poll updates
6.       Upcoming Events
CareleaversReunited reaches 5000 users

The CLA’s unique website, www.careleaversreunited.org, reached 5,000 users this week. At the moment, we have around 5 new people joining every day. CareleaversReunited allows people to get back in touch from people from their time in care, share experiences, memories and photographs. The website lists over 1,500 homes and foster care regions from around the UK and across the globe. Care leavers from as far away as Australia and South Africa use the website. Why not log on now and see if your old children’s home or friends from your childhood are on there?
CLA new project for young people in care and care leavers from BME backgrounds

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy