Author Topic: Cinemas of Birmingham  (Read 146797 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Cinemas of Birmingham
« Reply #242 on: October 15, 2012, 06:05:53 PM »
The cinema on College Rd Kingstanding was the Mayfair.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Abbafan1972

« Reply #243 on: October 15, 2012, 07:02:53 PM »
Thanks for posting the picture.  O0

Mart56

« Reply #244 on: February 04, 2013, 06:41:25 PM »
The Palace Cinema.. Such memories,  When i was 16 i got in to see Soldier Blue"  which was a X rated film...   I also arranged to meet a girl there when i was 18 and she stood me up!!  lol!!  Happy days :)

Colin J Brookes

« Reply #245 on: February 18, 2013, 06:00:31 PM »
;)
Oooh I just loved looking at the cinema photos .......the Piccadilly in Sparkhill and the Sheldon in particular.

My parents actually met at the Sheldon cinema and also used to go the Adelphi on the Coventry Road, which they nicknamed 'The Unhealthy'.

Does anyone remember the Olton cinema (next door to what used to be the Golden Arrow pub) .
and also  'The Tivoli' at the Swan? I went there on my very first every cinema trip when I was about 4.
I was a projectionist at the Sheldon in 1961- a wonderful building, however the Kalee projectors were out of the Ark and a pig to keep right.  All your other cinema's and others, such as Solihull, Tivoli, Adelphi, Coronet, Grange, Kingston, Green Lane, Beaufort, Atlas, Capitol, Ritz, Olton, Acocks Green, Royalty (Harborne) Rock, Aston Cross, Futurist, Gaumont, Odeon, West End, (worked at News Theatre and Tatler ) and Godiva Coventry, etc., etc. Indeed in 1960 the Birmingham Mail carried programme listings for forty cinema's in the Birmingham area, now, well probably a handful??

wam

« Reply #246 on: February 25, 2013, 08:56:10 AM »
Indeed in 1960 the Birmingham Mail carried programme listings for forty cinema's in the Birmingham area, now, well probably a handful??
Slightly more than a handful, 2 at five ways, Star City, The Odeon New St, The Electric, mac, occasionally Millennium point IMAX. The difference is that almost all of these have multiple screens and run 8 hours/7days a week. In 1960 you'd get some cinemas that held other events and many would only have 7 shows a week if that.

maggie

« Reply #247 on: February 25, 2013, 09:21:54 AM »
I lived across the road from the CliftonGt.Barr almost
opp the TowersPublic house......that was 1946 to 1957..The Beacon at Scott Arms closed before the
Clifton I think

I have a question goingback to 1939 I went to
a picture house on the Handsworth rd with the
class from school and saw Anna Neagle in Victoria

or 60 Glorious yearsI know its gone now but please what was the name.
I went from the Convent with nuns who must have thought it suitable for8/9and 10 yearolds.Remember
it still cos it was the first time ever I had been to the
pictures
do unto others as you would be done by

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #248 on: February 25, 2013, 09:51:56 AM »
Maggie

I assume when you say Handsworth Rd you man Soho Rd or do you mean Handsworth Wood Rd or Handsworth New Rd.

If you mean Soho Rd, then there were at least 4 cinemas along there to my knowledge. The Albion, The Grand, The Regal and The Elite. If you can narrow the location down a little I might have a photo.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

MWS

« Reply #249 on: February 25, 2013, 03:00:20 PM »
The Capitol was my local cinema and we used to go on Saturday mornings after it was split into 3 screens, we saw some right rubbish. I remember seeing Mork and Mindy there.

The first film I saw there was Grease, which was packed,  and the last one I think was The Muppet Christmas Carol, which had a total of 6 people in. I think it closed down not long after.

I always wanted to sit in the upper tier before it was split but never did.

tony armstrong

« Reply #250 on: February 25, 2013, 03:26:00 PM »
i remember going to the ashted row cinema in the fifties mom used to take us kids mondays and wednesday every week we also went to saturday matinee durango kid tail spin tommy and of course flash gordon when mom was flush we used to go to the gaity,i watched audie murphy in from here to eternity yesterday i must have seen it when it was new audies still one of my heroes. :)

Gee Gee

« Reply #251 on: February 25, 2013, 04:20:34 PM »
Hi Tony
             I can recall going to the Gaity once,with a young local girl who used to work with my sister at Hughes Biscuits.
My local cinema was the Alambra on Moseley Road.I also enjoyed watching Audie Murphy films,my favourite being "To Hell And Back"
I do not remember Audie acting in the film "From here to eternity" O0

maggie

« Reply #252 on: February 25, 2013, 06:43:27 PM »
Phil, thank you for info but as a 9 yearold I did,nt
take much notice of roadnames, all I can remember
is it was a very small cinema on the righthand side
of the road coming from the city, it had iron folding
gates at the front and a toyshop next door that
was more important to me then
do unto others as you would be done by

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy