Author Topic: Cinemas of Birmingham  (Read 146831 times)

Peg Monkey

Re: Cinemas of Birmingham
« Reply #275 on: January 12, 2019, 04:27:29 PM »
The Palladium, Hockley Brook, 1950s. I was born in Heaton St in 1949 and lived there until 1959 when my family was re-homed to a flat on the Lyndhurst Estate, Erdington. My Heaton St home was well placed for the Palladium, about 10-15 mins walk and for other cinemas, a little further distant: the Elite, Handsworth, the Regal a bit further on and the elegant Villa Cross, with its impressive huge circular window above the entrance. At that time Variety Theatres were competing with the cinema and therefore my entertainment evenings were divided about equally between the cinema and the Aston Hip. We all know the cinema won the battle then, but he who lives by the sword, they lost out to 10 pin bowling and bingo. Ah well! That's progress.
Peg.
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #276 on: January 13, 2019, 09:22:07 AM »
The Pavillion, Chester Rd (1960), at the junction of Chester Rd and Gravelly Lane the cinema was on the Birmingham-Sutton border and about 15mins walk from where I lived on The Lyndhurst Estate. It was a palacial establishment where, unfortunately, I only managed to see the odd film before it closed its doors in 1960 to become a 10 pin bowling alley (which eventually closed to become a housing development, no trace of the building now exists).
So what was the last film to be screened? Maybe there's a cinema buff out there who can answer that, what I can say is, these are some well-known films that were screened in 1960: Psycho, Sparticus, The Magnificent 7, Ocean's 11 and GI Blues.
Peg.
Note for Mod Phil: Any chance you've got a pic.?

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #277 on: January 13, 2019, 09:38:59 AM »

peg this might be the one  not 100% it says so on the write up

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Peg Monkey

« Reply #278 on: January 13, 2019, 09:56:43 AM »
peg this might be the one  not 100% it says so on the write up

It certainly looks like it Roy - fantastic, thanks.
Peg.
P.S. It wasn't all bad news when the cinema closed - you could get a decent burger at the bowling alley. :)
P.P.S. Sorry folks, just noticed I've spelt Pavillion wrong - pic shows correct spelling - 1 "l".

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #279 on: January 13, 2019, 11:50:34 AM »

Peg

If you look through this thread now you will see that there is already an image of the Pavillion near the start, this is why I say it is not a good idea to start another thread on a topic we already have. Luckily the image is not the same as has been posted by Roy. Neither is this one that I am posting now, different images of the same location re always acceptable, but duplicates of the same image are what we must try to avoid because it just takes up unnecessary bandwidth. 
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #280 on: January 13, 2019, 07:40:06 PM »
The Palace, High St, Erdington - was my nearest cinema to home after The Pavilion had closed, a much less luxurious venue but one that still occupies a place in my heart, now long demolished without trace it was a Saturday night destination for me and a group of friends when I was still pre-nightclub age (15). The cinema was demolished (together with the nearby Roebuck Public House) to make way for a shopping precinct which included a new Roebuck Pub but no cinema. The last film I saw there was probably c1964 and whilst I can't be certain there is a good chnace it was 633 Squadron (other notable films in 1964 were: Dr Strangelove, Goldfinger, My Fair lady, A Hard Day's Night, Viva Las Vegas, Zulu and Fistfull of Dollars.)
Trivia: The Palace was a few minutes walk from the world-famous Carlton/Mother's Nightspot.   
Phil - Thread Duplication
You remarks (as always) are duly noted.....but: It's a bum rap, I've been dun up like a kipper...if I am guilty of duplication The Forum is The Agent Provocateur - below is the advisory that appears on all dormant threads, which prompted my action.
But there is always a silver lining -  before my "duplication" the last posting on the established cinema thread was Sept 2017, since my rogue posting I estimate there have been c150 views.
I now consider the matter closed.
Regards,
Peg.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #281 on: January 13, 2019, 08:45:22 PM »
Peg

I have just merged another separate thread about the Palace on Erdington High Street. Concerning duplication the notification you mention stems from 2006 when the owner was just starting this forum. I think at the time he might not have envisioned threads other than chat threads that might need continuity. More to the point if you are a visitor and possible new poster to the forum you don't want to be sorting through duplicated threads looking for whatever it is you want.

On chat threads it doesn't make much difference, but if you object then by all means contact Chris the owner because in reality I'm only a moderator and I'm limited to what functions I can use, Chris being the only one who can alter or modify the functioning of the forum.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

baz

« Reply #282 on: January 13, 2019, 11:01:43 PM »
As a pimply youth, part of a group of pimply youths, we turned up at the Pavilion, Stirchley to watch a film with an "X" certificate. The film was called "Blackboard Jungle" which featured music by Bill Haley and the Comets and was condemned because it caused rioting among the audiences around the country.
I remember we had trouble deciding who looked old enough to be the "adult" who took the rest of us in to see the movie but it turned out that the girl in the ticket box didn't give a monkey's and in we went.
I've tried the "Search Box" to no avail. Does anyone remember the "Pav" ?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #283 on: January 14, 2019, 12:50:23 PM »
Baz

I do remember Stirchley Pavilion, not for the cinema, but it's 1960's addition of  a bowling alley. Although never an ardent bowling player it was the fact that I remember it being open all night at one time and in my youth I frequented most of the all night venues in Birmingham at one time or other. As far as I am aware the cinema closed in 1968 and like most cinemas converted to a bingo hall.

I wonder if the original cinema had any connection to the Pavilion at Wylde Green as looking at te early architecture of both cinemas they look quite similar.

Anyway the images here show the early Stirchley Pavilion and the same building in the late 60's with the addition of the bowling alley and the cinema is now a bingo hall.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

baz

« Reply #284 on: January 14, 2019, 03:22:59 PM »
Baz

I do remember Stirchley Pavilion, not for the cinema, but it's 1960's addition of  a bowling alley. Although never an ardent bowling player it was the fact that I remember it being open all night at one time and in my youth I frequented most of the all night venues in Birmingham at one time or other. As far as I am aware the cinema closed in 1968 and like most cinemas converted to a bingo hall.

I wonder if the original cinema had any connection to the Pavilion at Wylde Green as looking at te early architecture of both cinemas they look quite similar.

Anyway the images here show the early Stirchley Pavilion and the same building in the late 60's with the addition of the bowling alley and the cinema is now a bingo hall.
Cheers Phil. It would've been the mid-50s when I went there.

Keith c mace.

« Reply #285 on: January 14, 2019, 04:22:12 PM »
My dad was the chief projectionist at the Pavilion Stirchley....He actually dangled me over the edge at the top right hand side!...I can remember the cinema had a Wellington bomber and a Hurricane on the forecourt when showing a film about the Battle of Britain(?)….He took me inside the Wellington...A pity that I have no pictures....KC.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy