Author Topic: Cinemas of Birmingham  (Read 146788 times)

bls

Re: Cinemas of Birmingham
« Reply #286 on: January 14, 2019, 04:43:39 PM »
The Pav Stirchley was my second home in the 60s .Lots of happy memories.Not only of the films but of friends too .

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #287 on: January 14, 2019, 04:59:43 PM »
Hi bls

Welcome to the forum, I suppose you lived in the Stirchley area do you still live there now?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

bls

« Reply #288 on: January 14, 2019, 05:13:51 PM »
Thanks for the welcome Phil.Yes I did live in Stirchley.Not far from Muntz park.No I left in1972.I married a muscian from The Castaways. .

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #289 on: January 14, 2019, 05:25:52 PM »
Thanks for the welcome Phil.Yes I did live in Stirchley.Not far from Muntz park.No I left in1972.I married a muscian from The Castaways. .

If you type Castaways into the searchbox at the top right of the page it will bring up posts and photos of the Castaway Club,
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #290 on: January 24, 2019, 09:55:48 PM »
Plaza, Stockland Green 1970. I once when to the assistance of a maiden in distress in the cinema carpark, her car died and she just managed to pull in to the carpark, she gave me a strange look when I told her to open the boot, I'd got a good idea what the problem was as I'd got the same car (Austin 1300) and had recently read a magazine describing a common fault: a sticking fuel pump, which was located in the boot.
It took me seconds to fix and she went on her way with a look of total wonderment - did I tell her what I had done? No, I imagined her getting to work and recounting the event to all her friends:
He cured the fault in seconds, the only explanation: There must have been a laying on of hands by a hollyman.
Peg.
P.S. The Plaza was a cute little cinema, long closed, of course, last I heard it had become a supermarket.
P.P.S. I had a Plan B if I couldn't get her car started - she faced the sack if late again so providing it wasn't too far I would have offered her a lift to work - thing is, it would have took a bit of explaining to the future Mrs Peg Monkey who I was dating at the time.
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #291 on: February 01, 2019, 01:53:51 PM »
1960s Birmingham Gaumont - Here's a trivia question that to stand a chance of getting the answer you need to have been to the School for Cinema Buffs and come top of the class - What is the link between The Gaumont (late 6os) and the American Billionaire Howard Hughes (1905-1976)? :-\
I'll give you a day or two in case you want to phone a friend.
Peg.

Spud

« Reply #292 on: February 03, 2019, 09:36:22 AM »
Is the connection The Film Ice Station Zebra ?
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Peg Monkey

« Reply #293 on: February 03, 2019, 03:33:26 PM »
Is the connection The Film Ice Station Zebra ?
Total respect, Spud, well done! O0 O0 O0
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #294 on: February 04, 2019, 01:56:19 PM »
Steehouse Lane Tram Terminus 1950 - You'll have no problem finding a better pic of the Gaumont but it did prompt me to imagine what might have been showing on that day, this is the top 10 films of 1950 in descending order:
1. Sunset Boulevard
2. Los Olividados
3. Rashomon
4. All About Eve
5. In A Lonely Place
6. La Ronde
7. Cinderella (Cartoon)
8. Winchester 73
9. The Gunfighter
10. Broken Arrow
Peg.
P.S. Where do you imagine the fishermen are heading? :-\  The tram destination is Stockland Green so it would pass Salford Park, which has a huge lake.

bls

« Reply #295 on: February 04, 2019, 04:55:36 PM »
Love this picture.The first time that I remember I was about 3 years  old .Going from town  along the Pershore road.Other than that to the Lickeys of course .

Peg Monkey

« Reply #296 on: February 04, 2019, 05:18:43 PM »
Hi Bls, welcome to The Forum, so where was your nearest childhood cinema?
Peg.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy